The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Rejected for accommodation due to living in London

I applied for accommodation today but got an instant rejection as I live at a 'commutable address'. It's an hour and a half at the very minimum, but I guess it's fair enough considering other people will be much further away.

They've said I'll have to wait until October until I can find out where I stand on the waiting list, which of course means not having accommodation when I actually start uni, and I don't really want to be living at home.

So basically, I've just got a few questions. Does anyone know how they prioritise the waiting list (i.e. by when you applied, or by how far away you are)? Is anyone in the same position, and if so, what are you planning to do? Or equally, was anyone in this position last year, and if so, what did you do?

Reply 1
I'm assuming you are a first year undergraduate student?
Normally, they give halls to first-years and others who haven't lived in halls before AND live far away, for example, international students get accommodation first, then ppl from outside London, then Londoners no matter how faraway they live... :frown:
waiting list can be a long shot, but you might have a chance... Anyway, I'd say start finding accommodation outside campus first, and if you want, you can move in when they have a room for you.
Or... after they allocate the rooms in June/July, ask around if anyone who has got a room but doesn't want it, you can take that room and tell the school to transfer it to you!!
Good luck!
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Yeah I'll be a first year undergrad :smile:

Thing is though, if I go to private accommodation, will I not have to sign a lease keeping me there for a given number of months (i.e. stopping me from going to halls as soon as there's a vacancy)? And isn't the private accommodation with students mostly filled with 2nd and 3rd years? Aside from them probably not wanting a 1st year, I'd also rather be with 1st years too.
Reply 3
Original post by TomA94
Yeah I'll be a first year undergrad :smile:

Thing is though, if I go to private accommodation, will I not have to sign a lease keeping me there for a given number of months (i.e. stopping me from going to halls as soon as there's a vacancy)? And isn't the private accommodation with students mostly filled with 2nd and 3rd years? Aside from them probably not wanting a 1st year, I'd also rather be with 1st years too.

True... u normally need to stay for 3 months i think :frown:
Guess you just need to think about this and give up one of the two...
Maybe you can commute for a couple of weeks and then decide whether to go to private accommodation (if they still don't have a room for you)?
well, I don't really mind living with students in other years, so I think it might not be such a big problem? Or you can just share a flat with people who are not students :smile:

Quick Reply