The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan not covering accomodation

Due to my stepdad earning too much, I only get the bare minimum 3.5k in a maintenance loan. Obviously it's unfair to ask him to support me, and my mum and dad do not earn much at all and so I can't rely on them either.
The problem is the maintenance loan doesn't even cover my accomodation. This has lead to me wondering if I could say I have moved in with my sister, allowing me to get the full ammount, would this be counted as fraud and/or would i be caught?
Reply 1
You can't just move in with someone else to get more money. Your finance would still be based on one of your parents unless you're 25 or over, estranged (and have a professional to back you up with evidence), are a parent or have self-supported for 3 years with evidence to prove this.
Why can't you ask your parents for money? Someone must be earning enough to mean you can't have a grant?
Original post by LadyBunion
Why can't you ask your parents for money? Someone must be earning enough to mean you can't have a grant?

said it was the stepdad, would you feel comfortable asking someone who isn't really related to you for money?

student loans are kinda crappy, you might just have to get a job :frown: moving in with someone else (or saying you did) wouldn't help for this year anyway as it's based on the last tax year. so presumably your loan would be based on your parents' earnings last year.
Original post by infairverona
said it was the stepdad, would you feel comfortable asking someone who isn't really related to you for money?

But presumably SOMEONE is supporting her at home??? Dad ?? Stepdad ?? Mum?? Someone's income must have triggered the level of funding she has and therefore they should contribute
(edited 11 years ago)
But presumably SOMEONE is supporting her at home??? Dad ?? Stepdad ?? Mum?? Someone's income must have triggered the level of funding she has and therefore they should contribute

Yes, his step dad. His mother does not earn a lot, and neither does his father. His step dad is the one with money. How would you feel asking either of your parent's new partners for money for university? It's a very uncomfortable thing to have to do, and depending on how long they've been together it may aso be inappropriate to do so.
Reply 6

And even if they were they have no obligation to give money.
Reply 7
Ring student finance in the first instance, on the form there should have been a thing asking for just your mum and dad's income, rather than household. I'm under the impression that your stepdad's income shouldn't be counted as you're not his dependant. Kick up a storm, write a letter/e-mail/phone, and ask the student support at your chosen university for advice.

Failing that, get a job. I worked a lot in the first two years of my degree just to get by, realistically you'll probably be in uni about 6 hours a week in 1st yr so it's manageable.
Reply 8
Original post by harmony23
Ring student finance in the first instance, on the form there should have been a thing asking for just your mum and dad's income, rather than household. I'm under the impression that your stepdad's income shouldn't be counted as you're not his dependant. Kick up a storm, write a letter/e-mail/phone, and ask the student support at your chosen university for advice.

Failing that, get a job. I worked a lot in the first two years of my degree just to get by, realistically you'll probably be in uni about 6 hours a week in 1st yr so it's manageable.

You've misinterpreted the guidelines because if the OP lives with his mother and stepfather (or has most contact with them, rather than his father) then both their incomes need to be taken into account.

I point you to this thread, to show what happens when someone "bends the truth" on the official forms:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2018655
Reply 9
Presumably, if you live with your Mum and Step Dad then they are supporting you now ... if so why would they be unhappy to partially support you when you go to university

Does your Dad pay any child maintenance ... If he does then that could be used to help finance you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending