The Student Room Group

CCEA A2 Maths C4 1st June 2012

Ok, so no one has started a thread for this... but I am totally not looking forward for this exam tomorrow!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What did everyone think????
Reply 2
I only do CCEA chemistry and physics, but I'm on EDEXCEL for maths.

I'm just curious as to how the CCEA papers are turning out this year cause recently they've been either really weird or really hard!!!

Hope it went OK for you guys today :smile:
Reply 3
THIS WAS BEYOND HORRIBLE. My friend who's doing medicine took this to our maths teacher, and he got completely different answers to him, and us. I expect very low boundaries, then again I messed up the questions I could actually do as well. COULD CRY
Hi!
found it far more challenging than any of the recent past papers!
know i've made one mistake in the Vol. of revolution question as i scribbled down y=(4-x) instead of y=(4-x^2). Sigh.

Apart from the vectors question it was manageable. How did you find it?

ps. did you sit c3 this may?
Reply 5
I didn't resit C3 no.

"Apart from Vectors question" LOL

Counted up so far I have like 29/75 :frown:

I got 53.6units or 17.06pi for the volume. Please say this is right.
I couldn't do 3ii) the times of the resultant with a height of 3mm
I couldn't do 4ii) the stationary points.

What did you get for 5? I got 1/8 + 1/16 sin8x = ln[y] - 2.871. LOL

VECTORS :frown:

I messed up the integral question. Knew how to do it.
i.e. $udv/dx dx= uv- $vdu/dx dx

What did I do..... said $lnx = e^x Like wtf was I on.

What did you get for last part of last question.

Please tell me that people messed it up, or many found it hard, as I found it hard, plus I ballsed up the easy questions.

FHQDIOWPFIEUHQJWDIOFVGIQEHFNJUIDJKOCFVQJKL alsdkjfwgfodSLDKFJAQHDJkl

aaaaaaaa.
Worse than all of the past papers without a doubt. I couldn't finish the tan proof, or part (ii) of it, couldn't find the stationary points, made a stupid + / - mistake in the first question, and have no idea if my vectors question was right or laughably wrong. Other than that I quite liked the rest.

Gave myself a worst case 64% best case 76% estimate. Really gutted because I was getting on great with past papers, and a poor C4 mark could cost me my A in Maths which I need for uni... which I need for life. So to sum up: devastated.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
What things would I have got marks for writing down in particular questions, trying to find some more marks LOL

***besides getting the right answer***
Original post by richard1123
What things would I have got marks for writing down in particular questions, trying to find some more marks LOL

***besides getting the right answer***

Kinda trying to work that out myself. A dy/dx = 0 for stat. points gets a mark, correct progression in proofs and other questions gets marks, and method marks can be given where you've done something wrong earlier in the question.

Basically the more working out you have written out before making a mistake, the more marks you'll get. You can end up only losing one or two in integration questions if your mistake is near the end for example.

Look at past papers and mark schemes on the ccea website and you'll get a better idea. My head is still all over the place...

Reply 9
It was unbelievably difficult.
I did the Jan 2012 paper for practice last night and I thought it wasn't so bad but then as soon as I opened today's paper it was like a nightmare haha.

1.Couldn't do the stationary points
2.Took me 4 attempts to even get anywhere with proving 8i.
3.The volume of revolution...do you still use pi even if it is in degrees because I used 180 but everyone else used the original pi?
4.Only got 3 answers for 8ii, whilst my friends said there was in fact 5?!

A teacher in my school wasn't best pleased by the paper..
You're telling me you could do the vectors lol.

I got 2 answers for 8ii, my friend got seven.
For 3 yeah I think you just always use pi if it's a full rotation, shouldn't lose more than a mark or two though :smile:

My teacher was talking about how CCEA are making the papers harder since they haven't changed the spec in years. I did an M1 resit and it was woeful compared to past papers, think I did quite well though in the end. Really nervous about how hard C2 and M2 will be...

Reply 12
For 8ii, I got 2tanx or 1+tan^2x=0, so tanx=0 and tan^2x= -1. so I said x=0,180,360 reading off the tanx graph, then said no solutions for tan^2x= -1. Probably wrong lol.
Reply 13
Original post by star_5
For 8ii, I got 2tanx or 1+tan^2x=0, so tanx=0 and tan^2x= -1. so I said x=0,180,360 reading off the tanx graph, then said no solutions for tan^2x= -1. Probably wrong lol.

thats what I got too lol hopefully we are right lol

em paper was ok. Not sure about 4 ii (stationary points (well a few people got the same as me but I think it is wrong), didnt get 6 iii (co-ordinates of P) and the prove the identity one.. will still get the method marks in these questions hopefully.

The rest was pretty standard tbh.

whoever mentioned the intregal of lnx.... its a special rule. It become lnx x 1 and then you integrate using parts then sub in the limits for the exact value

anyone else get lny = 1/4 tan 4x +11/4 for question 5?

I ended up with sec^4 x then integrated to get the 1/4 tan 4x( which is a standard intregal in the formula booklet)

reckon ive got min 48/75 ( 64%) ands max 57/75 ( 76%)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I was in sheer panic whilst doing this exam but managed to collect myself and, all in all, I think it went very well (at least in comparison to everyone else :P)

4) ii) (-2,6) and (2, -6) I am pretty happy with this

5) 1/4 tan 4x + 11/4 very confident in this answer

6) iii) I got (0,0,3) - a few others in my further maths class got this so I am fairly confident, my working made sense in my head but I didn't believe this answer when I arrived at it

8) ii) I got 0, 180 and 360 (this is definitely correct)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by star_5

Yeah, i got the same thing as you, except i forgot to take the 360 reading, so i'm pissed at that. Also made silly errors like in question 7 where i didn't give the exact value, and in 4 part 2, where we had to find the stationary points. I knew x=-3y, and i found one of the points as (2,-6) but forgot that (-2,6) also would have been valid.
I did however get the vectors question, and the co-ordinates of P are (0,0,3), but didn't get the position vector, but i think it might simply be 3k. Apart from the vectors question (which took me most of an hour to do), the test wasn't that bad i thought, although i'm annoyed cos i need 92% for the a*, and based on the answers given by my teachers (all 3 gave unanimous answers), i have around 70/75, based on how many marks i lose for the above mistakes, and due to scaling, 70/75 will most likely be scaled below 92%, which is a pity, cos I really wanted an a* as i doing maths next year
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Amy563
It was unbelievably difficult.
I did the Jan 2012 paper for practice last night and I thought it wasn't so bad but then as soon as I opened today's paper it was like a nightmare haha.

1.Couldn't do the stationary points
2.Took me 4 attempts to even get anywhere with proving 8i.
3.The volume of revolution...do you still use pi even if it is in degrees because I used 180 but everyone else used the original pi?
4.Only got 3 answers for 8ii, whilst my friends said there was in fact 5?!

A teacher in my school wasn't best pleased by the paper..

3) sorry, you do still use pi

4) cannot see why there would be 5. almost certain the answers were 0, 180 or 360.
it factorised to tanx(tan^2x + 1) = 0
hence tanx = 0 or tan^2x = -1 BUT tan^2x = -1 is impossible (a square will always be positive) I think your friends forgot that. tanx = 0 resolves to x = 0, 180 or 360
Reply 17
Original post by wormyrug

Yeah, i got the same thing as you, except i forgot to take the 360 reading, so i'm pissed at that. Also made silly errors like in question 7 where i didn't give the exact value, and in 4 part 2, where we had to find the stationary points. I knew x=-3y, and i found one of the points as (2,-6) but forgot that (-2,6) also would have been valid.
I did however get the vectors question, and the co-ordinates of P are (0,0,3), but didn't get the position vector, but i think it might simply be 3k. Apart from the vectors question (which took me most of an hour to do), the test wasn't that bad i thought, although i'm annoyed cos i need 92% for the a*, and based on the answers given by my teachers (all 3 gave unanimous answers), i have around 70/75, based on how many marks i lose for the above mistakes, and due to scaling, 70/75 will most likely be scaled below 92%, which is a pity, cos I needed an a* in maths for my first choice which was maths at Oxford.

I don't think 70/75 will not be a A* mark since everyone found this exam so hard. Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-star_grades_at_A-level#What_about_Maths_A-level.3F which shows how A*s are calculated. I think 6) ii) is just the vector equation of the line (I also expanded it out). Because in part ii) you did not know that OP was perpendicular to the line so it could have been one of any number of values.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
what is the scaling from raw marks to ums marks roughly ccea? I cant find anything on the internet lol. they just give the standard 80% ums is an A etc

@sAuhsoj youve reassured me about some of my answers.. thanks lol... kinda puts the pressure of me a bit.
Untitled.png

I had this saved ages ago, don't know how reliable it is like lol.

Quick Reply