The Student Room Group

Access course and Uni entry.

Hi there, last semptember my access to science course i was meant to be studying was cancelled due to lack of funding so they put me on the access to healthcare course which is Biology and Psychology with 18 credits coming from each that is made up to 60 in total with study skills. I carried on with the course anyway because I didn't want to waste another year.

I want to study Biomedical Science at uni. I have an offer at uni of Kent for 35 credits at distinction. When I told my Psychology teacher this she said that I am 'screwed' because it is near impossible to get that many credits at distinction on that course.

My Biology teacher says I am on track for 18 credits at disintction in Bio. I shall probably get 18 at merit for Psychology and god knows what for study skills. Psychology teacher seems very reluctant to help me gain better grades so I see that I have a few options:

1, Save up and take my chemistry a level at a further date
2, try and gain a place through clearing
3, study a different course related to biomed such as biology and hope for the best.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice? Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Well have you got an insurance place that has slightly lower entry requirements?

I'm just coming to the end of an access course, though mine is social science and humanities. I really don't think it is that hard to get 35 credits at distinction if you put the work in. If that's what you want to do and where you want to go there is nothing stopping you but yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Pitt1988
Well have you got an insurance place that has slightly lower entry requirements?

I'm just coming to the end of an access course, though mine is social science and humanities. I really don't think it is that hard to get 35 credits at distinction if you put the work in. If that's what you want to do and where you want to go there is nothing stopping you but yourself.

Well I am not going to get them in Psychology. I have always struggled with subjects like that as I am more able in subjects like Science and Maths. Plus at the beginning I struggled to get into the swing of things as I had been out of education for a long time my essay writing needed some practice. Although I have not got anything lower than a merit in Psychology it still is not going to be enough.

I had no offer, probably because my course lacks a Chemistry component. By the looks of it i have ended up wasting a year anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending