The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4020
Original post by Maths_Lover
That's an SMC question? Whereabouts from? Please say near the end, then I will feel amazing. :colone:

Spoiler

No it's not that near the end. To the spoiler, yes you could equally factor out 2^2000 to show that.
Original post by wcp100
No it's not that near the end. To the spoiler, yes you could equally factor out 2^2000 to show that.

Fair enough. :tongue: Indeed you can.
Reply 4022
Maths_Lover
wcp100

Hey guys :smile: I was wondering if you guys knew if, in the edexcel mechanics modules, whether equilibrium of rigid bodies in contact (pin joints and the like) is covered? Looking over the spec, I can't see it mentioned but I thought you might know if it is. Thanks :smile:
How did your C3 go? :smile:

Good thanks. I know you can't discuss your exam, but I hope it went well :biggrin:
Original post by Blutooth
I know that feel bro, although from the other perspective- being the smarter sibling. :tongue:. My dad is quite a bit smarter than me though, so I still get put in my place from time to time :wink: .

I think it's hard either way, for me it's hard, because my brother is literally better than me at everything. Not only at maths and other subjects but also faster, slightly taller, etc. Apparently we're very similar but if anything that makes me feel worse about it. He's 2 years above me and last year (when I was yr11) we both sat BMO2 and I got 7/40 and he got 40/40. I really struggle to take things like that well. He lost 3 UMS marks across his 7 A levels, and he got conditional offers from every uni he applied to, and now he's doing his first year at Hong Kong Uni after rejecting both Cambridge and MIT. I literally can't do any better than that, so I feel like I've spent my whole life in his shadow. Hopefully I can still do something respectable with my education but he is on a completely different level to me. I'm a "smart student" and he's a genius. My one reservation about applying to Cambridge is the "fear" that I'll be surrounded by people like that (not people who find A levels easy, but people who find Olympiads easy). I don't think it will be that bad though, I'm ok with being worse at one or two things, it's just really tough to grow up next to someone who is literally better than you at everything.

Hey dude, amongst one of the many things I tried yesterday I got to the part about showing the inequality with log(3), but couldn't get any further. Putnam-style problems are tough ;p I also found out a website that gives a rigorous proof of what the part where you say integer multiples of a rational number get arbitrarily close to an integer value by the pigeon-hole principle in case anyone else is interested. It's on the second page of the paper on the 2.warming up section.

I'll give a short summary below.

Spoiler

I think I've probably missed a trick by using logs instead of something else, I'm pretty sure there is a cleaner solution. But what's nice about proofs is the open nature of the question.
Original post by Llewellyn
Good thanks. I know you can't discuss your exam, but I hope it went well :biggrin:

I think it's hard either way, for me it's hard, because my brother is literally better than me at everything. Not only at maths and other subjects but also faster, slightly taller, etc. Apparently we're very similar but if anything that makes me feel worse about it. He's 2 years above me and last year (when I was yr11) we both sat BMO2 and I got 7/40 and he got 40/40. I really struggle to take things like that well. He lost 3 UMS marks across his 7 A levels, and he got conditional offers from every uni he applied to, and now he's doing his first year at Hong Kong Uni after rejecting both Cambridge and MIT. I literally can't do any better than that, so I feel like I've spent my whole life in his shadow. Hopefully I can still do something respectable with my education but he is on a completely different level to me. I'm a "smart student" and he's a genius. My one reservation about applying to Cambridge is the "fear" that I'll be surrounded by people like that (not people who find A levels easy, but people who find Olympiads easy). I don't think it will be that bad though, I'm ok with being worse at one or two things, it's just really tough to grow up next to someone who is literally better than you at everything.

It must be nearly impossible, but I hope you manage to not let that get you down - his intellect sounds almost at a godly level, that nobody should judge themselves against. Yours is still exceptional, much more impressive than mine and probably 99% of the population with ease.

I'm really not good at this motivational speaking business...

You have nothing to worry about :nah: you're extremely intelligent :yep:

I think I've probably missed a trick by using logs instead of something else, I'm pretty sure there is a cleaner solution. But what's nice about proofs is the open nature of the question.

Thank you and that's good. When's your next exam? :smile:

You shouldn't worry, Llewellyn - you are still ridiculously intelligent. :console: You are the most intelligent person I know. You have a great attitude and will get very far in life! :hugs:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by chickenonsteroids
You have nothing to worry about :nah: you're extremely intelligent :yep:
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
It must be nearly impossible, but I hope you manage to not let that get you down - his intellect sounds almost at a godly level, that nobody should judge themselves against. Yours is still exceptional, much more impressive than mine and probably 99% of the population with ease.

I'm really not good at this motivational speaking business...

Thanks guys :h: I think you overestimate my abilities at least a little though :lol:

It's not that bad really. He's really nice and we do get on well (or did, I kind of miss him :K:) but what's tough is because we have very similar interests and "talents" (to differing levels) people inevitably make the comparison, and when they do it's always the same result. He's really supportive and helpful and he wouldn't bring this up, and if I did I know his response would be very sympathetic/ apologetic. I like to think I'm quite stoical but constantly being out performed in everything is very tough. Maybe as a result of that I've become very sensitive about comparing and discussing marks/ results/ outcomes with other people, especially in terms of academia.
Thank you and that's good. When's your next exam? :smile:

You shouldn't worry, Llewellyn - you are still ridiculously intelligent. :console: You are the most intelligent person I know. You have a great attitude and will get very far in life! :hugs:

You have a Samsung Galaxy S II? :yep: that's such a good phone!

Ugh, my next exam is C4 on the 14th. I'm inevitably nervous because it's A2 and I think getting an A* this year would make Uni applications so much easier. But doing quite well in C3 has cheered me up and taken some pressure off. Also, it's pure, so hopefully things can go well. I'll start prep for C4/ STEP I (they coincide quite nicely) on the 7th, when I get back from DofE. How about you? C4 next? Or S2?

Thank you :colondollar: I'm not that smart at all, perhaps my keyboard is magical :zomg: I'll be happy to post some of my really, really bad fails if you like :lol: I think attitude is important though; it's something you can control, unlike intelligence :smile: You definitely have a good attitude, if anything maybe you should take it a little easier :cute:
Thanks guys :h: I think you overestimate my abilities at least a little though :lol:

It's not that bad really. He's really nice and we do get on well (or did, I kind of miss him :K:) but what's tough is because we have very similar interests and "talents" (to differing levels) people inevitably make the comparison, and when they do it's always the same result. He's really supportive and helpful and he wouldn't bring this up, and if I did I know his response would be very sympathetic/ apologetic. I like to think I'm quite stoical but constantly being out performed in everything is very tough. Maybe as a result of that I've become very sensitive about comparing and discussing marks/ results/ outcomes with other people, especially in terms of academia.

:nah: just being honest :yep:

I don't talk about my grades that often (I don't think I ever did) they're really mediocre in comparison to everyone :lol:
Original post by chickenonsteroids
:nah: just being honest :yep:

I don't talk about my grades that often (I don't think I ever did) they're really mediocre in comparison to everyone :lol:

Getting 38+ (i.e. averaging 6 on subjects) on the IB would be really impressive from anyone's perspective (I think that is what you're aiming for?) I think inevitably someone will do better, but then that is always true. TSR really isn't a very good sample (for instance, most people on this thread are much sharper than anyone in my school). And I think a lot of people on TSR will end up in Uni even though the national average is something like 42% go on to higher education.

For example, if you walked into my school, judging by your problem solving and attitude towards learning, I would say you would definitely be in the top few students.
You have a Samsung Galaxy S II? :yep: that's such a good phone!

Ugh, my next exam is C4 on the 14th. I'm inevitably nervous because it's A2 and I think getting an A* this year would make Uni applications so much easier. But doing quite well in C3 has cheered me up and taken some pressure off. Also, it's pure, so hopefully things can go well. I'll start prep for C4/ STEP I (they coincide quite nicely) on the 7th, when I get back from DofE. How about you? C4 next? Or S2?

Thank you :colondollar: I'm not that smart at all, perhaps my keyboard is magical :zomg: I'll be happy to post some of my really, really bad fails if you like :lol: I think attitude is important though; it's something you can control, unlike intelligence :smile: You definitely have a good attitude, if anything maybe you should take it a little easier :cute:

I do and it is. :lol: I'm still not used to it because I spent 5 years with a black and white phone from the stone ages, then a couple with an ordinary phone and now suddenly I have an amazing phone. It's a bit much sometimes! :lol:

I know what you mean - I have C4 on the 21st then AEA on the 26th. I really want to do well in C4 and get an A* in A-level maths first time as it would really take the pressure off me. Same thing with AEA - the better I do in it, the less nervous I will be when making university applications. :smile: I have already done S2. :yep:

You are welcome. :cute: Nonsense! Everyone has fails and I'm sure your fails are several orders of magnitude fewer than mine. :tongue: That is true - attitude can have a much greater influence on your life than intelligence. :yep: Hellz no! I think that I come across as much, much better than I actually am. I live in fear that one day I'll wake up and then realise that I am a failure. I don't even think I can say that I've achieved anything I wanted to this year. I need to work harder, not take it easy. I appreciate your concern, though. :hugs:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4032
Original post by ElMoro
Hey guys :smile: I was wondering if you guys knew if, in the edexcel mechanics modules, whether equilibrium of rigid bodies in contact (pin joints and the like) is covered? Looking over the spec, I can't see it mentioned but I thought you might know if it is. Thanks :smile:

I don't know what that is :emo: :emo: :emo:. I wish I was good at maths. So by extension I don't think it is on the spec. ML might know though.
Reply 4033

You're far more intelligent that most!

Now you know what it's like being me on this thread!

Edit: I didn't write know instead of now. :ninja:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ElMoro

I don't do Edexcel, but I would be very surprised if that came up. Seems like something you'd do in 1st year Undergrad (at least!)

The safe thing to do would be to go over it just in case of course.
Original post by ElMoro

I am terribly sorry but I have not heard of that... I'm a mechanics noob compared to you guys. :sigh:

Piano lesson now - I'll talk later. :smile:

Reply 4037
I love how I've got 6 negative reps today so far for disagreeing with some people about the difficulty of an exam! :biggrin:
Getting 38+ (i.e. averaging 6 on subjects) on the IB would be really impressive from anyone's perspective (I think that is what you're aiming for?) I think inevitably someone will do better, but then that is always true. TSR really isn't a very good sample (for instance, most people on this thread are much sharper than anyone in my school). And I think a lot of people on TSR will end up in Uni even though the national average is something like 42% go on to higher education.

For example, if you walked into my school, judging by your problem solving and attitude towards learning, I would say you would definitely be in the top few students.

Yes I'm aiming for that :yes: thanks :smile: though, that does seem to be big claim :mmm: :colondollar:

I've noticed that about TSR, it's easy to take samples from here and apply it to everywhere (mistakenly)

Original post by und
I love how I've got 6 negative reps today so far for disagreeing with some people about the difficulty of an exam! :biggrin:

Have some green. It's on the house.
I'm thinking of getting this account banned and starting a new one - this one's pretty easily identifiable. If I do that, how does just Arva sound as a new username? It seems fitting since that's what I get called anyway.

I don't want to lose those 4 green rep gems though...

Latest