The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics 1MA0/H (New Spec Functional Skills) 13th June 2012

How's everyone feeling about the exam? (just a reminder, you MUST NOT talk about the exam till 12 HOURS AFTER it has taken place, otherwise people in foreign countries will have an ADVANTAGE and this will INCREASE grade boundaries)

Doing the mock papers Edexcel have provided the exam is looking difficult compared to the previous format.
How does everyone feel about the functional skills questions doing the mock papers?
Do you think this will affect the grade boundaries?
(The most recent for the march 2012 paper being 158/200 for an a* - old spec)

I have attached some specimen papers straight from the locked section of the edexcel website for you guys to attempt :smile: also a formula sheet with formulas that are not given in the exam and you are expected to know.

(Anyone looking for a challenge should attempt the last question on 1MA0H Specimen C.pdf, i have also attached as many mark schemes as possible, will attach more later down the thread)

Mark scheme for specimen C paper-
http://ebookbrowse.com/gdoc.php?id=335962368&url=3c2e497159382e9252c40a24425d5412
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

For the Quality of Written Communication (or A03) questions, you must state exactly how you get your answer, going through every single step in detail. For example, if you're finding, say 97% of 600, you don't just say '97% of 600', but '600*0.97' for FULL MARKS.

To be honest though, this is the first paper so it will be one of the following for us:

1. RIDICULOUSLY LOW grade boundaries with harder style questions
2. Normal grade boundaries with easier style questions

The Sample Assessment paper is ideal for trying, but there is also another mock paper on the Edexcel website for 1MA0H. You need to phone publications: 01623 467 467 who will then send you a copy of the password protected new mock paper.

Hope this helps.. x
Reply 2
I've been looking for the Sample Assessment and the mock paper on their website. Can you direct it to me please?

Also, does publications actually mail you the mock paper or some such or do they provide a password for a mock paper on the site?
Reply 3
BTW, from what others are telling me, it seems the sample assessment is harder than past papers and indeed past sample assessments. To me this indicates they're preparing us for a hard paper with, as ArtisticFlair said, low grade boundaries.
Anyone sent me the copy or put the link up please for the maths new spec paper
http://monmouth.monmoodle.co.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=3424
By the looks. I am going to fail maths :'(
24.​Solve the simultaneous equations

x + y = 4
x2+ y2 = 40
Hi does anyone know how to solve this I'm assuming you use the quadratic equation but to do this you have have a square on each line? Any ideas or ways to solve this will be appreciated

The place were you write the answers below

x =................., y = .................orx =................., y = .................
We need an Edexcel password! I've got a plan and may or may not return in a few hours with a PDF of the new 1MA0H mock papers... x
Reply 8
Original post by Bigbangtheory010
24.​Solve the simultaneous equations

x + y = 4
x2+ y2 = 40
Hi does anyone know how to solve this I'm assuming you use the quadratic equation but to do this you have have a square on each line? Any ideas or ways to solve this will be appreciated

The place were you write the answers below

x =................., y = .................orx =................., y = .................

x+y=4
Therefore y=4-x (or y=-x+4)

Put y=-x+4 into the second equation, so it becomes

x²+(-x+4)² = 40..........Multiply out the bracket

x²+x²-8x+16 = 40

2x²-8x-24 = 0.............Divide whole equation by 2

x²-4x-12 = 0...............Factorise

(x-6)(x+2) = 0

Therefore x=6 or x=-2

Substitute the x-values back into the equation(s)

When x=6 y=-2
When x=-2 y=6
Reply 9
Original post by Freddy-Francis
http://monmouth.monmoodle.co.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=3424
By the looks. I am going to fail maths :'(

Can you possibly get markschemes for these? :colondollar:
Original post by Wowzerss
Can you possibly get markschemes for these? :colondollar:

Yeah. I dont know the grade boundaries.
http://www.whitefield.barnet.sch.uk/curriculum/revision_material/mathematics/higher_non_calc_mark_scheme.pdf
Reply 11
thank you
Reply 12
Original post by ArtisticFlair

1. RIDICULOUSLY LOW grade boundaries with harder style questions
2. Normal grade boundaries with easier style questions

Yeah your right. According to my head of maths who went to the exam board meeting he said the paper wont be nearly as hard as the sample ones we've been given, and it wont have as many as those case study questions with the * (written communication). And the grade boundaries will always be ridiculously low when its being taken for the first time because we dont really have much access to old papers and mocks etc.
Reply 13
I hope your right because I found those spec papers really hard!

Do you think it is worth practising on the old style 1380 edexcel past papers?
What do you guys guess the grade boundaries will be?<<< for an A overall>>
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15

Yeah found the sample papers hard aswell. But you might aswell at the end of the day its still maths and the new spec isnt that different its just the way they ask the questions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Freddy-Francis
What do you guys guess the grade boundaries will be?<<< for an A overall>>

Ask that after the exam :wink:
Reply 17

Definitely worth doing 1380 papers too imo :smile: It's not much different from the old spec tbh, except ours is maybe slightly harder :smile:
Original post by Alexx53
x+y=4
Therefore y=4-x (or y=-x+4)

Put y=-x+4 into the second equation, so it becomes

x²+(-x+4)² = 40..........Multiply out the bracket

x²+x²-8x+16 = 40

2x²-8x-24 = 0.............Divide whole equation by 2

x²-4x-12 = 0...............Factorise

(x-6)(x+2) = 0

Therefore x=6 or x=-2

Substitute the x-values back into the equation(s)

When x=6 y=-2
When x=-2 y=6

Thanks I understand it now!
Reply 19
Original post by Bigbangtheory010
Thanks I understand it now!

No problem :smile:

Latest