The Student Room Group

Balancing part time work with revision?

Basically like most college students I had a part time job as well as going to college full time. As its exam season I asked my manager about 3 weeks ago if it was ok if she reduced my hours for the upcoming weeks as I had exams and needed to revise; she said this wasn't a problem.

However, I get my shifts for the following week and I had like 15 hours. I let it pass as I thought we may have been short staffed that week and they really needed me. The next week comes by and I've got something like 13 hours do I reminded her again that I had exams etc and she said she had "forgot" and will cut my hours. My hours for this week is 12 but my hours for next week is 27!!!!

I'm so mad - the week before my exams and I'm working 27 hours!
How would you suggest bringing it up to my manager? Because there's no way I'm doing those shifts!
Reply 1
Try and explain that this is my life ahead of me, I have exams. I need the time off to revise.

But try not to be rude, and be calm. Should bring this matter up to your parents, and see what they have to say about this, because this is a very important time in your life, and you can't be working double the hours previous to last week, but all I'm saying is, don't go to your manager and walk back out without a job, because it will be very tricky trying to find a new one.

Best of luck

- Hugo
^This
Original post by Katie (:
Basically like most college students I had a part time job as well as going to college full time. As its exam season I asked my manager about 3 weeks ago if it was ok if she reduced my hours for the upcoming weeks as I had exams and needed to revise; she said this wasn't a problem.

However, I get my shifts for the following week and I had like 15 hours. I let it pass as I thought we may have been short staffed that week and they really needed me. The next week comes by and I've got something like 13 hours do I reminded her again that I had exams etc and she said she had "forgot" and will cut my hours. My hours for this week is 12 but my hours for next week is 27!!!!

I'm so mad - the week before my exams and I'm working 27 hours!
How would you suggest bringing it up to my manager? Because there's no way I'm doing those shifts!

What can you do - even if you lose your part time job over this it's better than not being able to revise for these really important exams.

If I were you, I would tell her that as she's put you down for 15 and 13 hours already, "forgetting" that you have exams, you need to catch up and cannot work at all in the week before them.

If you try to offer some sort of compromise which is less than 27 hours, she will just give you 15 hours (or potentially more), and then you'll be arguing with that.. etc etc Better to say "I can't work at all next week" imo.

If she's so desperate for staff that she's putting you on 27 hours even though you should be part time and have exams, I'm not sure I can see her getting rid of you. Do you have a contract which states how many hours you can be expected to work/week?

EDIT: As above suggests, be polite and calm and explain the importance of your exams.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Wow, that definitely isn't a mistake, sounds like she did it on purpose. You definitely need to confront her about this and tell her you can't possibly work that many hours. Oh never know, she may be jealous. She may even be forcing you to chose between your exams and your job; increasing someone's hours when they have asked for less shows she must have taken some form of offence.

Do you believe in love at first sight? It's an illusion, I don't care.
Reply 5
Same thing happened to me. I was told I would be given study leave (Normally given about 16 hours per week) then I look at my schedule and I'm scheduled for 47 hours in 10 days. I called my manager up and he said that he needed me in so I just quit my job there and then, exams are a billion times more important to me then a small part time job. Try to negotiate the issue with your manager but remember what is more important in your future.
Reply 6
Yeah, I must agree with 'DannyJC' & 'BeanofJelly'

There is a good chance of her being jealous, because common, for example your employee comes upto you saying if they can have there hours cut due to an exam, are you going to forget that?
That should be in the back of your mind.

You have something she wants, she is jealous trying to put you down, not just you, but your grades aswell.

Now this is a tight situation, don't provoke her to do anything to you that will affect your job.

Try to remember if anything has happen previously, if something has. That might be the cause, you can't win here.

Your stuck in two situations,
Either
1) Risk of losing your job
Or
2) Risk of getting low GCSE's.

Something I would do if I was in your situation, try and get her onto your side.

If that doesn't work, she's getting my finger in her face.

- Hugo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending