The Student Room Group

getting rejected by a target event - should I be worried ?

Im first year and I applied for a target event ( for ethnic minorities ) for 2 days in the summer. I'm aware that they had a high number of applicants but I'm worried after being turned down :frown:
There was a 15 minute phone interview so I might have done badly at that. Should I see this as indication that I need to change myself ? bearing in mind for TC I will have to do interviews ( if I get to that stage) and something is wrong i think but I don't know what :s-smilie:

Advice please
Don't worry too much about things like this if your credentials are fine. When you have 10 similar applicants for 1 spot the decision is basically random. Especially when its only a 2-day event, management/HR aren't going to spend hundreds of hours trawling through applications to reach a decision. Unfortunately random rejections are a fact of life when applying for things like this.

Its the same when applying for VS and TCs, you can easily make 12 applications and get accepted by the best firm on there but rejected by the rest.
Reply 2
Original post by jacketpotato
Don't worry too much about things like this if your credentials are fine. When you have 10 similar applicants for 1 spot the decision is basically random. Especially when its only a 2-day event, management/HR aren't going to spend hundreds of hours trawling through applications to reach a decision. Unfortunately random rejections are a fact of life when applying for things like this.

Its the same when applying for VS and TCs, you can easily make 12 applications and get accepted by the best firm on there but rejected by the rest.

Hijacking the thread slightly, but I know you're pretty hot on most things legal. How important are which modules you pick in second and third year to landing a TC? For instance, when I look at my possibilities for options, things like medical law and outside history options are the ones that stand out. Would doing these modules instead of modules like commercial law and law of corporate insolvency put me at a disadvantage in applying to firms? Any input you've got would be greatly appreciated, cheers! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by bramz19
Hijacking the thread slightly, but I know you're pretty hot on most things legal. How important are which modules you pick in second and third year to landing a TC? For instance, when I look at my possibilities for options, things like medical law and outside history options are the ones that stand out. Would doing these modules instead of modules like commercial law and law of corporate insolvency put me at a disadvantage in applying to firms? Any input you've got would be greatly appreciated, cheers! :smile:

There's a discussion of this on the law mythbusters thread.
Original post by bramz19

I don't think it makes a huge difference to be honest, as long as the modules sound hard and academic. You should probably take at least one or two commercial modules though, it makes the "why commercial law" question a bit easier at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest