The Student Room Group

What A Level subjects are the hardest?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yolofied
Whatever, I was just tryna see if there was actually an official list and see what other ppl think...

But even if there was an 'official' list, would that suddenly make it certain subjects objectively harder/easier?
film studies and dance...:bl:
Reply 42
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
But even if there was an 'official' list, would that suddenly make it certain subjects objectively harder/easier?

Well... no but I'm sick and tired of some of my teachers saying that some of the subjects (Biology and Maths) that I take are easy to do...
How can people say Geography is hard? I only took it for AS, but I got 91% overall with minimal revision.
Reply 44
Surely this question is subjective and individual to different people?
Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths

It's definitely these 3 which are the hardest, not sure about the order
Reply 46
Oxbridge classify the hardest subjects as:

Maths
The 3 sciences
English Lit
History
Modern languages

Then traditional subjects like Classics, English Lang, Psychology, Sociology, Geography etc.. are considered next on the pecking order

Although just because these are supposedly the hard subjects doesn't mean you should pick them. You should only pick the subjects that you enjoy and challenge you.
History's rather easy in my opinion - but that's just me.
I'd say Chemistry is the one i found hardest, as it was quite challenging, but I also found Physics hard as it gets so boring, and as soon as something isn't interesting it's really difficult to learn. Just my opinion :smile:
Chemistry is just a bitch in heat.
When people do the maths and look at grades at GCSE and the A level maths and sciences come out as hardest but then it will vary greatly person to person. I'm ok with maths and science but I'd probably have a breakdown in an English exam.
Reply 51
I'm sorry if some ppl don't like this discussion :frown: I just wanna repeat what I wrote in my intro... I wanted to know if there was an official list because apparently there is :/ and ppl can post what they think as well!
All the ppl who keep saying its subjective, it depends on the person, I know that already :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
According to a study which followed test results of people through SATs, GCSE's etc all the way up to A-levels, the hardest were
Chemistry
Physics
Further Maths
Biology
Maths
History
Reply 53
Original post by hannah1994
According to a study which followed test results of people through SATs, GCSE's etc all the way up to A-levels, the hardest were
Chemistry
Physics
Further Maths
Biology
Maths
History

Thanks for this :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
German.
Honestly physics
I would say for me history is the hardest. The amount of things you are required to learn is just mind-blowing.
It takes up more time than all my other three A-levels and more :frown:
Reply 57
I think subjects like History, English Lit and other essay subjects where there is so much content

I find maths pretty easy in General and id say it is easier than my other subjects (Spanish, French and history)
Reply 58
Original post by Yolofied
I'm sorry if some ppl don't like this discussion :frown: I just wanna repeat what I wrote in my intro... I wanted to know if there was an official list because apparently there is :/ and ppl can post what they think as well!
All the ppl who keep saying its subjective, it depends on the person, I know that already :smile:

The sciences and maths are renowned for being particularly hard. However, from someone doing essay based subjects, I wouldn't say they were easy!
I think it is fair to say that ALL A level subjects are hard, A levels in general are hell! If you work hard though any subject can become easy.
Reply 59
Whats up with people thinking chemistry is so hard, I would say it has the smallest difficulty increase from gcse than any of my other subjects (the maths and sciences).
As other people have said I guess it depends on the person, I know that I would struggle to do English or a foreign language. I also think that as far of sciences are concerned if you understood absolutely everything at GCSE then the step up in difficulty is pretty small, the main difference is that at GCSE the exams will let you get away with more answers that are only partially correct.

Quick Reply

Latest