The Student Room Group

Are Alienwares worth it? Better alternative?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/nspire2760-blackedition.html?th=g

Novatech nSpire 2760 - Black Edition - 15.6" Intel i7 2760 Mobile Processor - 8GB DDR3 Memory - 500GB Hybrid SSD Hard Drive - DVD Writer - NVIDIA GT 555M Graphics

£769.99 with Windows 7

The 555m is a mid-range card, you can do better for the price.

http://www.medion.com/gb/electronics/prod/MEDION%C2%AE+ERAZER%C2%AE+X6817+15.6%22+Laptop+%28MD97891%29%09%09%09/30013056A1?category=gamer_notebooks_19&view=pictures

That Medion Erazer is probably the best bang for your buck.

i7 processor, 8GB Ram, GTX560M, 750GB HD, 120GB SSD for £829.

However, if you're willing to spend £900, then I reccommend that you build a PC for about 600-700 and then just get a netbook or a cheap laptop for portability. Desktop's are far, far better. But that laptop I posted will run BF3 on high at about 37 FPS which is very playable.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
They're good gaming PC's but they're way overpriced. I could make one for less than half of what they charge. I find it ridiculous to why so many people buy them - does anyone not look at the specs and compare? :confused:
Reply 22
No, they aren't.
Reply 23
For the value of the specification of a personal computer, they are certatainly not worth it my good fellow.

What what.
Reply 24
Original post by charlie9872
The 555m is a mid-range card, you can do better for the price.

http://www.medion.com/gb/electronics/prod/MEDION%C2%AE+ERAZER%C2%AE+X6817+15.6%22+Laptop+%28MD97891%29%09%09%09/30013056A1?category=gamer_notebooks_19&view=pictures

That Medion Erazer is probably the best bang for your buck.

i7 processor, 8GB Ram, GTX560M, 750GB HD, 120GB SSD for £829.

However, if you're willing to spend £900, then I reccommend that you build a PC for about 600-700 and then just get a netbook or a cheap laptop for portability. Desktop's are far, far better. But that laptop I posted will run BF3 on high at about 37 FPS which is very playable.

DO NOT BUY THE LAPTOP CHARLIE9872 RECOMMENDED. Ivy Bridge architecture chips have recently been released; the laptop he has suggested has a previous-generation Sandy Bridge chip. Wait a while, new releases are coming soon.
Original post by Inverse
DO NOT BUY THE LAPTOP CHARLIE9872 RECOMMENDED. Ivy Bridge architecture chips have recently been released; the laptop he has suggested has a previous-generation Sandy Bridge chip. Wait a while, new releases are coming soon.

OMG I WAS JUST RECOMMENDING IT. I know they're coming out soon, they'll be in most laptops by the end of summer/autumn - no doubt Medion will upgrade it as soon as its widely available like they did with the 2nd generation of the i7 that's currently in there.
Reply 26
omg i was just recommending it. I know they're coming out soon, they'll be in most laptops by the end of summer/autumn - no doubt medion will upgrade it as soon as its widely available like they did with the 2nd generation of the i7 that's currently in there.

omg i was just informing him that it is not a good recommendation.
Original post by inverse
omg i was just informing him that it is not a good recommendation.

Well there isn't anything else in the current market with a better specs/price ratio. Only a couple of laptops with ivybridge have been released.
(edited 11 years ago)
I bought an MSI GX660R last summer for £1000 and it felt like I was getting considerably more for my money than I could have with an Alienware laptop. I'm sure they're very nice if price isn't an issue, but if you're actually looking to make your money go further (insofar as it can go further with a laptop, given they're already considerably more expensive than equivalent desktops) then I'm not sure they're the best choice.
Reply 29
Original post by Mr_WillCarroll95
I was wondering is anyone recommends a laptop other than Alienware that is comfortable with games. I will pay anything upto £900 or so. I just want to know if Alienware's are expensive because of their performance, or because of their brand.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

The Alienware logo used to mean something, but since it was bought by DELL, it's as defunct as Apple - basically you're paying for some overpriced crap with a shiny logo.

Asus are usually the professionals with the best prices regarding computing gear, so I'd check their range out. The people who go for Alienware are usually wanting a quick-fix for high-end gaming, but you could quite as easily find a decent one for much less.

For most uni students, Alienware is unnecessary, so too is most high-end stuff. Just get something that can type and has internet and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 30
Well there isn't anything else in the current market with a better specs/price ratio. Only a couple of laptops with ivybridge have been released.

That doesn't matter, buying outdated technology when newer, superior technology is becoming more readily available is equal to throwing money away.
Reply 31
Bloody hell, people really do spend a lot of money on laptops! £1000?! Christ...

Alienware is not really worth it. As pointed out already, you're just paying for a brand.

Personally, what I recommend is stalking the computing section of hotukdeals.com for a while until a gaming laptop that takes your fancy pops up. I'm currently typing this on a £133 Acer Aspire which I found there and does basic word processing, internet browsing etc. just as well as a £600 million-gigs-of-RAM monster (it's all I need it for anyway).
Reply 32
Original post by Igrisok
Bloody hell, people really do spend a lot of money on laptops! £1000?! Christ...

Alienware is not really worth it. As pointed out already, you're just paying for a brand.

Personally, what I recommend is stalking the computing section of hotukdeals.com for a while until a gaming laptop that takes your fancy pops up. I'm currently typing this on a £133 Acer Aspire which I found there and does basic word processing, internet browsing etc. just as well as a £600 million-gigs-of-RAM monster (it's all I need it for anyway).

Anyone who is buying a more expensive notebook such as an Alienware is looking to do a bit more than "word processing and internet browsing", obviously.:wink:
Original post by Inverse
That doesn't matter, buying outdated technology when newer, superior technology is becoming more readily available is equal to throwing money away.

That's besides the point. OP was asking if Alien ware was worth it - I showed him a better alternative. You seem to be missing the point of the initial discussion...
Reply 34
That's besides the point. OP was asking if Alien ware was worth it - I showed him a better alternative. You seem to be missing the point of the initial discussion...

I'm aware of it.
Reply 35
Original post by Inverse

Intel hasn't released all of its laptop Ivy CPUs hence why there isn't many on the market right now. Release date is in a few weeks.
LOUD NOISES.

Anyway, IvyBridge should be out by the end of June. There isn't much of a performance increase <10% and it's only really battery life which is increased.
Reply 37
Alienware are a pretty poor brand. Look at some brands like MSI and ASUS, they make better gaming laptops and I'm sure other similar brands do as well. Also, may as well wait for Ivy bridge to come out and then get a sandy bridge with a top GPU for cheaper than you would now. Ivy bridge only really improves on integrated graphics and power consumption.
Reply 38
Original post by camoxide
intel hasn't released all of its laptop ivy cpus hence why there isn't many on the market right now. Release date is in a few weeks.

Waiting for a few weeks is better than wasting your money now.
Reply 39
Original post by Inverse
Waiting for a few weeks is better than wasting your money now.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending