The Student Room Group

Are Alienwares worth it? Better alternative?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
no.
laptops a bit more than desktops. Its a lot harder to build a laptop than desktop.

Desktop no unless you have tons of money and no regard for quality.
Reply 42
Look at it this way, a desktop always has room for expansion - i.e. better graphics card, more ram, more hard drives, better cpu etc.

With laptops - the most you can do is expanded the ram and hard drive... But even the hard drive part is difficult to do.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 43
Original post by djshine88
Look at it this way, a desktop always has room for expansion - i.e. better graphics card, more ram, more hard drives, better cpu etc.

With laptops - the most you can do is expanded the ram and hard drive... But even the hard drive part is difficult to do.

Hard drive? Hard drives easy, just unscrew the side it's on and it slots out, though some laptops have no expansion for an extra Hard drive so you got to replace the entire thing :/
Reply 44
Original post by Iqbal007
Hard drive? Hard drives easy, just unscrew the side it's on and it slots out, though some laptops have no expansion for an extra Hard drive so you got to replace the entire thing :/

That's what i sort of mean. More so, if you want to put an ssd in, you will have clone the entire thing, and then sort out a load of permissions etc.

For a second hdd, u have to sacrifice a disk drive - like i did. WELL WORTH IT

Reply 45
Original post by djshine88
That's what i sort of mean. More so, if you want to put an ssd in, you will have clone the entire thing, and then sort out a load of permissions etc.

For a second hdd, u have to sacrifice a disk drive - like i did. WELL WORTH IT

I would have gone for an SSD, especially if your laptop is struggling, as I hear it increases performance quite a lot.
Reply 46
Original post by Iqbal007
I would have gone for an SSD, especially if your laptop is struggling, as I hear it increases performance quite a lot.

Well put it this way, before i had one my macbook boots in 1 minute 3 seconds.

With the SSD, it boots in 20.3 seconds... Less if you don't count the POST

Quick Reply

Latest