The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

My teacher is adamant that I still need to learn bowlby's continuity hypothesis and the affect of childhood on adult relationships...

Am I reading the spec changes wrong or is she? :frown:
Reply 1001
Original post by mkigz77
Can anyone provide info about the Issues and Debates? I am okay with applying my knowledge of the approaches but i always get stuck with the IDs - like if anyone could provide a general synopsis or something or what issues and debates can be used for this unit would be great, i dont want to miss out on A02s...

IDs includes more generic criticisms such as reductionism, nature vs nurture, determinism/free will, practical applications, gender and cultural bias, socially snesitive research. but you need to clearly apply to the explanation, must be elaborated and used evaluatively, and its better if it is intergrated into evalaution instead of just stuck on the end, so it is not like a long list, but commentary. You can use it to evaluate specific studies or the explanation generally. But make sure its accurate. i.e.: just because an explanation ignores something doesnt make it reductionist.
Hope i helped!
Reply 1002
Original post by JosephHoneywood
My teacher is adamant that I still need to learn bowlby's continuity hypothesis and the affect of childhood on adult relationships...

Am I reading the spec changes wrong or is she? :frown:

I think you do, i have! The spec has changed to something like you dont need to learn affect of adolescence or something
Reply 1003
Original post by Hasmyradiobroken?
Does anyone have any notes on the "Explanations for sleep disorders, including insomnia, sleep walking and narcolepsy"?

If not, quick question; would the AO1 of such a question just be identifying the possible explanations (e.g. psychological/biochemical) and then evaluating these explanations as AO2?

The reason I ask is that the textbooks seem to have description of the actual disorders. Looking at the spec, I wouldn't have thought we'd need to actually learn in full detail primary and secondary insomnia. Do correct me if wrong.

Many thanks!

it's explanations: insomnia is more factors affecting :smile: narcolepsy - rem disorder, hypocretin, sleep walking - genetics, etc.
Reply 1004
Original post by SecretCircus
I hate the evolutionary approach (I just find it a bit...wishy washy if that makes sense) and we barely covered it for gender so I don't want it to come up :tongue:. I think it's likely to though, and also, I've just looked through this thread and people are saying gender schema theory and dysphoria could come up too :smile:.

If the question is on the evolutionary approach to gender role then yeah it would mainly be the parental investment theory.

I self-taught this topic so I'm not particularly comfortable with anything :s
But I agree the evolutionary theory is 'wishy washy' however I think that may be criticsm of the theory rather than what you've learnt...?

I really am unsure of how I'd answer a question on dysphoria! I don't think I've got enough info on it and I don't understand what kind of question thy could ask on it :/
Original post by mkigz77
Can anyone provide info about the Issues and Debates? I am okay with applying my knowledge of the approaches but i always get stuck with the IDs - like if anyone could provide a general synopsis or something or what issues and debates can be used for this unit would be great, i dont want to miss out on A02s...

An IDA I use almost throughout relationships is "Heterosexuality bias". :smile: As almost all research in relationships is focused on straight couples, it may not be generalizable to homosexual and gay couples or civil partnerships.
Reply 1006
Does anyone know what came up Jan 2012 for Aggression, relationships and eating. Trying to predict Questions :colondollar:
Original post by Grace*
Does anyone know what came up Jan 2012 for Aggression, relationships and eating. Trying to predict Questions :colondollar:

Relationships - Breakdown
Aggression - Evolutionary

Don't know eating.
Reply 1008
Original post by PieEatingHorses
Relationships - Breakdown
Aggression - Evolutionary

Don't know eating.

Thankyou :smile: do you mean human aggression or group display by evolutionary?
Original post by Grace*

Eating was:
Discuss neural mechanisms involved in the control of eating behaviour (8 marks + 16 marks)

Aggression was:
Outline research into institutional aggression (4 marks)
Discuss one or more evolutionary explanations of group display (4 marks + 16 marks)

:smile:
Reply 1010
Can anyone recommend tips on how to remember all the studies? No matter how hard I try, I end up forgetting some by the next day... It's starting to annoy me now
Hi people! I'm going to sit this exam too on Monday & i'm freaking out about what may come up for the topics i've studied. I studied this in college and they picked the 3 topics for us which are; Relationships, Gender & Cognition - Development. If anyone has a clue or insight as to what they think maybe the essay questions for those topics, it would be of great help to me :smile:

Thank you!:biggrin:
Reply 1012
Original post by annagoesbroom
Eating was:
Discuss neural mechanisms involved in the control of eating behaviour (8 marks + 16 marks)

Aggression was:
Outline research into institutional aggression (4 marks)
Discuss one or more evolutionary explanations of group display (4 marks + 16 marks)

:smile:

Thankyou! aah so annoying i was hoping neural would come up for eating :frown:
Reply 1013
I've read several different views on here about how to use IDA's.
Just to clarify is it better to use them at the end in a paragraph and just use general evaluate points in the bulk of the essay, or include IDA's with my general points?
In some ways I find it eaasier to use them at the end as it gets less repetitive?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1014
Original post by kammy_hussain
Hi people! I'm going to sit this exam too on Monday & i'm freaking out about what may come up for the topics i've studied. I studied this in college and they picked the 3 topics for us which are; Relationships, Gender & Cognition - Development. If anyone has a clue or insight as to what they think maybe the essay questions for those topics, it would be of great help to me :smile:

Thank you!:biggrin:

Well i only do relationships out of the ones you do and the only things that have never come up are: sexual selection and maintenance, But this doesn't mean they will come up! I just hope it isnt culture:frown:
Reply 1015
Original post by PieEatingHorses
An IDA I use almost throughout relationships is "Heterosexuality bias". :smile: As almost all research in relationships is focused on straight couples, it may not be generalizable to homosexual and gay couples or civil partnerships.

ok thanks for the example - i get what to do now
Reply 1016
Original post by Grace*
IDs includes more generic criticisms such as reductionism, nature vs nurture, determinism/free will, practical applications, gender and cultural bias, socially snesitive research. but you need to clearly apply to the explanation, must be elaborated and used evaluatively, and its better if it is intergrated into evalaution instead of just stuck on the end, so it is not like a long list, but commentary. You can use it to evaluate specific studies or the explanation generally. But make sure its accurate. i.e.: just because an explanation ignores something doesnt make it reductionist.
Hope i helped!

Yeah that did help thanks for that. I guess it would be a matter of just applying my knowledge of what u outlined when appropriate.
Reply 1017
Original post by hhh123
I've read several different views on here about how to use IDA's.
Just to clarify is it better to use them at the end in a paragraph and just use general evaluate points in the bulk of the essay, or include IDA's with my general points?
In some ways I find it eaasier to use them at the end as it gets less repetitive?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

My teachers say not to just bung in IDA at the end, but i doubt it matters that much as long as its fully elaborated and its connected to the rest of the essay
Reply 1018
Does anybody have general notes on The nature/nurture debate and Free Will & Determinism those are my weakest in terms of IDAs and i would really apprecaite the help of my fellow student roomers (if that is what we are called lol) :smile:
Original post by Tpos
I self-taught this topic so I'm not particularly comfortable with anything :s
But I agree the evolutionary theory is 'wishy washy' however I think that may be criticsm of the theory rather than what you've learnt...?

I really am unsure of how I'd answer a question on dysphoria! I don't think I've got enough info on it and I don't understand what kind of question thy could ask on it :/

Oh :redface:. I don't know, I just don't like it! I seem to 'get' the biological and psychological approaches much more than I get the evolutionary approach, even though I don't find the evol. approach difficult.

It seems to be a very short topic, I feel the same way. I think they'd make it a smaller question, something like 'Outline psychological/biological/both explanations of gender dysphoria'.

Quick Reply

Latest