The Student Room Group

Mill Hill County vs St Dom's vs Watford Grammar

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hadiyayayaya
Hi :smile: oh how did you find st doms? I've heard that people are quite separated there

Not separated at all, it's quite difficult with such a diverse range of people in the same place for there to be any separation at all; it's a common misconception that there would automatically be segregation, but I haven't experienced that at all!
Got the admission in st. doms today!!! excited :P
Reply 82
Original post by Midnight-Sky-Blue
Most people at Watford seem to do well with this board though, so don't completely discount it. The teaching is of a really good quality and most of my friends who did it came out with A's.

This made me laugh. I am doing Bio. with WJEC and it's making me cry. :frown:
Original post by loopy786

Argh, don't scare me! I'm doing Bio for A Level at Watford Grammar girls, hopefully.

Is it really that bad??!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?!?!!!?
Original post by Sui-Kinxtar_kitty
Well done sweetz!!!!

So happy for u :biggrin:

You wont regret it!!! Shame I wont get to see you next year...

Im sure you will love it... All u need now is to get ur grades :smile:

I got into WGSG as well for entry this year in September :smile:
Original post by ImprintMeJacob
Argh, don't scare me! I'm doing Bio for A Level at Watford Grammar girls, hopefully.

Actually WJEC bio is easier than some boards so dont worry!!!

Yes they have a horrid mark scheme but I guess the key is independent learnin!!!

If you think WJEC is hard, then you don't know how hard AQA is!

On certain papers, grade boundaries were as low as 39/75 for an A, which goes to show that many of their questions are how science works questions and everyone including myself, finds those questions hard.....

But the general principal with any biology exam board is to make sure you fully understand the past papers and you go through the syllabus thoroughly...
Actually WJEC bio is easier than some boards so dont worry!!!

Yes they have a horrid mark scheme but I guess the key is independent learnin!!!

Oh, phew *wipes sweat off face*

Thank you so much. Do you, or did you used to go to WGSG?
Reply 88
Original post by ImprintMeJacob

No, it's not that bad. You just have to persevere and revise the whole year through and not get stressed by weird mark schemes. You'll be great. :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by James A
If you think WJEC is hard, then you don't know how hard AQA is!

On certain papers, grade boundaries were as low as 39/75 for an A, which goes to show that many of their questions are how science works questions and everyone including myself, finds those questions hard.....

But the general principal with any biology exam board is to make sure you fully understand the past papers and you go through the syllabus thoroughly...

I don't find WJEC hard at all, just the weird mark schemes can be a bit fussy, in my opinion. There's a slight discrepancy between what we're taught and penalised for in lessons to the actual mark schemes so it's just confusing. And our dept. aren't as great as they should be, I believe.
I think it's my lack of time due to the amount of subjects I took this year which meant I wasn't able to devote enough time coupled with the weird teaching. :smile:

I heard AQA is a bit of a chore, though!
I don't find WJEC hard at all, just the weird mark schemes can be a bit fussy, in my opinion. There's a slight discrepancy between what we're taught and penalised for in lessons to the actual mark schemes so it's just confusing. And our dept. aren't as great as they should be, I believe.
I think it's my lack of time due to the amount of subjects I took this year which meant I wasn't able to devote enough time coupled with the weird teaching. :smile:

I heard AQA is a bit of a chore, though!

indeed, having 5 or so AS subjects to do can be a nightmare....

what are your plans for university? going for medicine ? :tongue:
Reply 91
Original post by James A
indeed, having 5 or so AS subjects to do can be a nightmare....

what are your plans for university? going for medicine ? :tongue:

Yup, 4 AS subjects with a Pre-U is not generous to the sleeping needs of true students. :tongue:

Um, in the last few months alone, I've gone from Chemistry to PPE to Maths. to History to Philosophy with French. :tongue: I wanted to do Medicine a year or so ago, but got lured into Politics by the fact that I've always been interested in it. Then Chemistry stole my heart. And you know the rest. :smile: I think it's because I'm genuinely enthusiastic and want to learn about practically everything, so I don't want to end up regretting my decisions as I have done at AS.

All in all, I have no clue. :rolleyes:

Yourself? :biggrin:
Yup, 4 AS subjects with a Pre-U is not generous to the sleeping needs of true students. :tongue:

Um, in the last few months alone, I've gone from Chemistry to PPE to Maths. to History to Philosophy with French. :tongue: I wanted to do Medicine a year or so ago, but got lured into Politics by the fact that I've always been interested in it. Then Chemistry stole my heart. And you know the rest. :smile: I think it's because I'm genuinely enthusiastic and want to learn about practically everything, so I don't want to end up regretting my decisions as I have done at AS.

All in all, I have no clue. :rolleyes:

Yourself? :biggrin:

Well I'm in year 13 at the moment.... and I've applied for Pharmacy, got my offers in and it's just a matter of trying to get the grades.

Once you start your AS', you will have a rough understanding of which subjects your excel in, but I've always wanted to become a pharmacist from the start :teehee:
Reply 93
Original post by James A
Well I'm in year 13 at the moment.... and I've applied for Pharmacy, got my offers in and it's just a matter of trying to get the grades.

Once you start your AS', you will have a rough understanding of which subjects your excel in, but I've always wanted to become a pharmacist from the start :teehee:

Screw you and your 'always-knowing-ness' :mad:

But I've done my AS year... :tongue: Going into Y13 this September, so once I've got my results (which will have been affected by my extenuating circumstances) I STILL won't know, so I've decided to close my eyes and switch A levels in Y13 to pick up French A2 having done AS in it in Y11 and gotten high UMS. Salvaging is hard but oh well!!!
Original post by Adrianna123
I go to St.Doms & I love it there!
All the teachers are so helpful and friendly, the college itself does alot to help you with your subjects and uni and they've got lots of opportunities for extra curricular things too so Doms is deffo recommended by me! :smile:

Hi, I got rejected from Doms with a 7.0 grade average...they told me to re-apply on enrolments day. Do you know what GPA i need on enrolment day to get in?
Original post by sivaa015.310
Hi, I got rejected from Doms with a 7.0 grade average...they told me to re-apply on enrolments day. Do you know what GPA i need on enrolment day to get in?

Oh sorry :frown:
Don't worry if you get 6.5 or higher on results day they should accept you (if they have places by people who failed to get that)
If you get 7 though that would be amazing! :smile:
Original post by Adrianna123
Oh sorry :frown:
Don't worry if you get 6.5 or higher on results day they should accept you (if they have places by people who failed to get that)
If you get 7 though that would be amazing! :smile:

Hi! As an ex-St. Dom's student, who wasn't part of their related schools, you need at least a 7.2. I know they have some secondary schools connected to them, where the entry requirements are (significantly) lower, but usually there are some spaces available after results, when people are rejecting offers etc.

Quick Reply

Latest