The Student Room Group

Worried about exam results

Hello, i'm a mature student who decided to resit GCSE English, all through the course I was getting A* but on the exam day I was a wreck, I couldn't make sense of any of the questions (severe anxiety) so i'm pretty sure I did poor, my question is whats the lowest grade I can get on higher tier English without failing?

Also if I get a D, how will that average out with my A* on assements? or is that classed as a fail, I think higher tier is only A-C?

Thanks for any help
Reply 1
Original post by slylee
Hello, i'm a mature student who decided to resit GCSE English, all through the course I was getting A* but on the exam day I was a wreck, I couldn't make sense of any of the questions (severe anxiety) so i'm pretty sure I did poor, my question is whats the lowest grade I can get on higher tier English without failing?

Also if I get a D, how will that average out with my A* on assements? or is that classed as a fail, I think higher tier is only A-C?

Thanks for any help

It's the overall marks that count, not the grades on the different units. For standard GCSEs, the controlled assessment is 60% of the GCSE, so if you got full marks on that you could get 0 on the exam and still scrape a C.
Reply 2
Original post by Data
It's the overall marks that count, not the grades on the different units. For standard GCSEs, the controlled assessment is 60% of the GCSE, so if you got full marks on that you could get 0 on the exam and still scrape a C.

That is English language.

For English literature you have a much larger controlled assessment worth only 25%, English Language has many broken up and smaller controlled assessments
Reply 3
Original post by cyfer
That is English language.

For English literature you have a much larger controlled assessment worth only 25%, English Language has many broken up and smaller controlled assessments

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's English Language.
Reply 4
Original post by Data

Thanks, I feel a lot better now.
Reply 5
I'm sure you'll get an A since you managed A*s in your controlled assessment. Even if you get a B in the exam, which I'm sure you will. Don't worry too much.
Reply 6
C is a pass. Even if you get a C you will get higher overall, especially since coursework is worth 60% and the exam is only worth 40% :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest