The Student Room Group

career help

Hi guys , i'm in yr 11 at the moment and soon i need to pick my a level options but the thing is i don't know what i want to do . i'm a soft, easy person not loud but not scared. any suggestions of jobs that would suite me?
i'm an average student- a*-b grades
i'm not shy and also i'm very hard working. i don't like reading but i wouldn't mind if i had too.i like maths and got an a* and im picking it at a levels.
1st i wanted to be a teacher as i suits me , but then i wanted to be a barrister (lawyer) but some said its not my type as it needs english which i dont like and its really hard and need to be loud. then i wanted to be a pilot but i'm not sure .
any other suggestions? good paid jobs.
please help i also thought about chartered accountant but im not sure.
any other jobs? thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, my brothers doing his pilot course but he's a lot older than me :wink:

He chose a-levels which would be beneficial for his desired career: Maths (as there is a theory part which is very maths based)
German (any other language would suffice/ Might be flying from Eng-Ger, and you never know when you language skills will be needed :wink:
Physics (comes in handy for the theory part, but he hated it and dropped it after AS)
English Lang (no reason other than he enjoyed it)

But I really like the idea of languages..if you've got a gcse... I'm planning on carrying on with Spanish at Alevel then picking up an ab initio one at university and teach English as a foreign Language :biggrin:
Reply 2
You sound like you have no real idea what to do so my suggestion would be to pick a broad range i.e.:
Necessary: Maths - this provides a basis for everything else
Credible English-related subject: Economics, History or Classics - all of these are English based but do not require as much English as normal English so you should be fine
Science: Physics/Biology/Chemistry - again a great basis to supplement maths and let you develop into anything really
Last choice could be anything really as long as you keep it credible and stay away from sociology/general studies etc
Reply 3
Original post by cyfer
You sound like you have no real idea what to do so my suggestion would be to pick a broad range i.e.:
Necessary: Maths - this provides a basis for everything else
Credible English-related subject: Economics, History or Classics - all of these are English based but do not require as much English as normal English so you should be fine
Science: Physics/Biology/Chemistry - again a great basis to supplement maths and let you develop into anything really
Last choice could be anything really as long as you keep it credible and stay away from sociology/general studies etc

yeah i have no idea. i am thinking to do maths and history for sure and either economics and biology or chemistry.would this be good?
Reply 4
Original post by melv97
Hi, my brothers doing his pilot course but he's a lot older than me :wink:

He chose a-levels which would be beneficial for his desired career: Maths (as there is a theory part which is very maths based)
German (any other language would suffice/ Might be flying from Eng-Ger, and you never know when you language skills will be needed :wink:
Physics (comes in handy for the theory part, but he hated it and dropped it after AS)
English Lang (no reason other than he enjoyed it)

But I really like the idea of languages..if you've got a gcse... I'm planning on carrying on with Spanish at Alevel then picking up an ab initio one at university and teach English as a foreign Language :biggrin:

does your bro have to go uni or a pilot school?
Reply 5
He's doing the Private licence first then the actual one, what ever that's called..He went to uni, but then quit... why? He recommended this website-- hope it helps :smile:
http://www.multiflight.com/flight-training-centre/index.php

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending