The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manitude
Yeah, King Penda Productions.
I have a couple of Bredwaldas albums, the Herne album and a limited edition Herne **** (I am so hipster). A bretwalda would have been a king of sorts, but there were usually more than one king type figure up until Alfred the Great in the late 9th century. King Penda was about early 7th century so there would have been more than one king (the relevance being that the guy who runs the label is in three of the four bands on it)
I think in regards to the plural, it's either fine as it is, or they've just bastardised it to fit with modern English. It'd be akin to saying "octipuses" rather than "oktopodes".

Yeah.

Though, I thought there woulda been a Danish (or Swede? I forget) king as well as Alfred, in the Danelaw bit.

Alfred seems to have this godly (and undeserved) reputation. And in the end we all got ****ed by a bunch of French aristocrats. WOE. ;<

Hm. Should listen to Woe. It's been a while.

!11
Original post by concubine
Yeah.

Though, I thought there woulda been a Danish (or Swede? I forget) king as well as Alfred, in the Danelaw bit.

Alfred seems to have this godly (and undeserved) reputation. And in the end we all got ****ed by a bunch of French aristocrats. WOE. ;<

Hm. Should listen to Woe. It's been a while.

!11

Well, Alfred did supposedly unit England. Though I think Offa is often overlooked. For one he was harsh to the Welsh, which is something I'm obliged to respect because of where I'm from :wink:. Secondly he build a massive dyke on the English/Welsh border, quite a bit of which still remains after more than a thousand years.
Ant thirdly he started the tradition of putting his name on coins, I think.

Your video doesn't work D:
Well, Alfred did supposedly unit England. Though I think Offa is often overlooked. For one he was harsh to the Welsh, which is something I'm obliged to respect because of where I'm from :wink:. Secondly he build a massive dyke on the English/Welsh border, quite a bit of which still remains after more than a thousand years.
Ant thirdly he started the tradition of putting his name on coins, I think.

Your video doesn't work D:

Yeah, dunno why it's ****ed, I thought that was just my browser. Woe rule though.

Offa was a bro. I'm sure most people think the dyke is just like.. WOW A DITCH. But when you think about the kinda manpower it required it's kinda impressive.

I always thought it was one of Alfred's successors (I think Aethelstan, but their names are all stupidly similar) that properly united England, Alfred just brought about the idea of the 'Englisc' as a people united against the Danes or some ****, but whilst he was king of Wessex and that Northumbria was all owned by the Danes.
Yeah, dunno why it's ****ed, I thought that was just my browser. Woe rule though.

Offa was a bro. I'm sure most people think the dyke is just like.. WOW A DITCH. But when you think about the kinda manpower it required it's kinda impressive.

I always thought it was one of Alfred's successors (I think Aethelstan, but their names are all stupidly similar) that properly united England, Alfred just brought about the idea of the 'Englisc' as a people united against the Danes or some ****, but whilst he was king of Wessex and that Northumbria was all owned by the Danes.

I went to this museum once and it was saying that the dyke would have been something like 3m tall from the ground with a 3m ditch, so it would have been about 6m in total, with a tall wooden fence on the very top. That would have been a very impressive show of power. Apparently people would be paid to dig it, and they'd only have to do about a 8-12 foot stretch. So it would have taken a lot of people. Knowing my luck if it were me who had to dig it, my section would have been full of stones!

I think the kings go something like Alfred, Edmund, Edgar, Edred, Edwy, Aethelstan from memory. I attempted to learn all the monarchs at one point, clearly I did not succeed.

Listened to a random Woe track on youtube, pretty good stuff. Vocals didn't really fit most of the time but the rest was cool.
I went to this museum once and it was saying that the dyke would have been something like 3m tall from the ground with a 3m ditch, so it would have been about 6m in total, with a tall wooden fence on the very top. That would have been a very impressive show of power. Apparently people would be paid to dig it, and they'd only have to do about a 8-12 foot stretch. So it would have taken a lot of people. Knowing my luck if it were me who had to dig it, my section would have been full of stones!

I think the kings go something like Alfred, Edmund, Edgar, Edred, Edwy, Aethelstan from memory. I attempted to learn all the monarchs at one point, clearly I did not succeed.

Listened to a random Woe track on youtube, pretty good stuff. Vocals didn't really fit most of the time but the rest was cool.

Aye the vocals are definitely the weakest part. Some of the deep ones don't fit and the higher screamoy shenanigans aren't super awesome either but oh well. The guy writes some srs riffs. I like the first album the most. The vocals are better there too.

This song rules.

I never really thought about them sticking a wall on the dyke. I'd always presumed the main idea behind it was to have some ditch that you can't run cows or sheep through so as to stop the crafty welsh guys rustling.

I dunno if I dreamed it but I thought I read somewhere that even if they had 20,000 (that number I definitely saw somewhere, in relation to the dyke, was an article talking about a similar project somewhere in Scandinavia... I think) guys working on it it'd take years. So for a guy that only ruled one of the major kingdoms of Britain, that at most had a total population of something like 4mil, that's kinda awesome.
Aye the vocals are definitely the weakest part. Some of the deep ones don't fit and the higher screamoy shenanigans aren't super awesome either but oh well. The guy writes some srs riffs. I like the first album the most. The vocals are better there too.

This song rules.

I never really thought about them sticking a wall on the dyke. I'd always presumed the main idea behind it was to have some ditch that you can't run cows or sheep through so as to stop the crafty welsh guys rustling.

I dunno if I dreamed it but I thought I read somewhere that even if they had 20,000 (that number I definitely saw somewhere, in relation to the dyke, was an article talking about a similar project somewhere in Scandinavia... I think) guys working on it it'd take years. So for a guy that only ruled one of the major kingdoms of Britain, that at most had a total population of something like 4mil, that's kinda awesome.

The Dyke was to keep the Welsh out of England, and to basically scare them into submission. William I did the same kind of thing by building a series of motte and bailey castles along the border. Edward I did something similar except all over the country and made out of stone and much bigger (like Beamaris and Caernarfon).

20,000 people sounds vaguely right I think. A quick calculation gives that at a rate of 12 feet per person it would have been 45 miles long. Which is not vastly different to the actual length. The offa's dyke path is about 180 miles, but I'm not sure if the Dyke was continuous coast to coast like the modern path is (more or less).

I think Stonehenge is more impressive in some ways. They would have had less sophisticated technology, yet managed to transport massive monoliths from Wales to Wiltshire by land and sea and then position them so parts of it lines up with the sun rise on the solstices.
Even more impressive (perhaps) is Silbury Hill, which took a few thousand years to build, and has soil and grass from around the country, and I think even from Europe. So it's as if people were going on pilgrimage to contribute to it.
And then there's burial mounds in Scotland or Ireland which have very similar carvings to ones in Spain, so there was probably some kind of communication or shared knowledge/craftsmanship and presumably a common language all those thousands of years ago. History is fascinating, yo. Why am I studying physics?!
The Dyke was to keep the Welsh out of England, and to basically scare them into submission. William I did the same kind of thing by building a series of motte and bailey castles along the border. Edward I did something similar except all over the country and made out of stone and much bigger (like Beamaris and Caernarfon).

20,000 people sounds vaguely right I think. A quick calculation gives that at a rate of 12 feet per person it would have been 45 miles long. Which is not vastly different to the actual length. The offa's dyke path is about 180 miles, but I'm not sure if the Dyke was continuous coast to coast like the modern path is (more or less).

I think Stonehenge is more impressive in some ways. They would have had less sophisticated technology, yet managed to transport massive monoliths from Wales to Wiltshire by land and sea and then position them so parts of it lines up with the sun rise on the solstices.
Even more impressive (perhaps) is Silbury Hill, which took a few thousand years to build, and has soil and grass from around the country, and I think even from Europe. So it's as if people were going on pilgrimage to contribute to it.
And then there's burial mounds in Scotland or Ireland which have very similar carvings to ones in Spain, so there was probably some kind of communication or shared knowledge/craftsmanship and presumably a common language all those thousands of years ago. History is fascinating, yo. Why am I studying physics?!

I presume the carvings are probably from well after we became seperated from Europe but I think that going by genetic studies and that the current idea is that people came to Ireland/Britain from Spain towards the end of the last ice age or something.

It always makes me face palm when you get these LOL CLIMATE CHANGE ISN'T HAPPENING!1 : )) types, when within semi-recorded history we have people walking hundreds or thousands of miles over land that is now under ocean. Even if you don't believe we're playing a role in it (which it would seem that we almost definitely are) you've gotta acknowledge the fact that the temperature of Earth fluctuates, and that we have an awful lot of cities and urban populations living on ground that probably won't be above sea level for that much longer.

Stone Henge rewls. I was there for the first time in ages last month. Awesome weather, rain and strong wind. PERFECT. One of the theories I've read before about it was that it was the procession and movement of the rocks that was important, more so than the actual construction. Which just seems weird. There's all those burial mounds around it which kinda implies it's a significant place. But I guess they coulda all come later.

My grandparents lived in Chippenham and I always used to bug my parents to drive home the long way to go past Silbury Hill. I've climbed that bitch so many times. I hate towns like Chippenham and Bath. They all seem to be filled with old and dying people, and I don't like the colour of the buildings. But the countryside around there rules. I love all the empty rolling grass hills, and that you can actually see **** left behind by ye olde 'English' folk. HOW MUCH PRIMITIVE CAN YOU GET (must listen to Darkthrone now).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

I wanna go here mayn. Not England but still. It seems to have aided the idea that instead of humans settling down into towns and **** and then creating religious structures and establishments that people made the temples and then civilization grew up around them. Which is kinda cool. One of the things that pisses me off about lots of 'ATHEISTS' is that they seem to ignore the importance of religion. I don't think there's any truth to the metaphysical claims of any religion, given that they're basically just myths, but that doesn't alter the fact that they've had (and have) a profound impact upon humanity.
I presume the carvings are probably from well after we became seperated from Europe but I think that going by genetic studies and that the current idea is that people came to Ireland/Britain from Spain towards the end of the last ice age or something.

It always makes me face palm when you get these LOL CLIMATE CHANGE ISN'T HAPPENING!1 : )) types, when within semi-recorded history we have people walking hundreds or thousands of miles over land that is now under ocean. Even if you don't believe we're playing a role in it (which it would seem that we almost definitely are) you've gotta acknowledge the fact that the temperature of Earth fluctuates, and that we have an awful lot of cities and urban populations living on ground that probably won't be above sea level for that much longer.

Stone Henge rewls. I was there for the first time in ages last month. Awesome weather, rain and strong wind. PERFECT. One of the theories I've read before about it was that it was the procession and movement of the rocks that was important, more so than the actual construction. Which just seems weird. There's all those burial mounds around it which kinda implies it's a significant place. But I guess they coulda all come later.

My grandparents lived in Chippenham and I always used to bug my parents to drive home the long way to go past Silbury Hill. I've climbed that bitch so many times. I hate towns like Chippenham and Bath. They all seem to be filled with old and dying people, and I don't like the colour of the buildings. But the countryside around there rules. I love all the empty rolling grass hills, and that you can actually see **** left behind by ye olde 'English' folk. HOW MUCH PRIMITIVE CAN YOU GET (must listen to Darkthrone now).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

I wanna go here mayn. Not England but still. It seems to have aided the idea that instead of humans settling down into towns and **** and then creating religious structures and establishments that people made the temples and then civilization grew up around them. Which is kinda cool. One of the things that pisses me off about lots of 'ATHEISTS' is that they seem to ignore the importance of religion. I don't think there's any truth to the metaphysical claims of any religion, given that they're basically just myths, but that doesn't alter the fact that they've had (and have) a profound impact upon humanity.

Yeah man. When I went to stonehenge like 5 years ago it was a cold a rainy tuesday afternoon in late july. Free entry and queue jump courtesy of the National Trust made a load of tourists rage though :cool:

Religion has had a massive impact on the world, just think about how much effort was put into Silbury and Stonehenge and the processional stones in the area that line some kind of pathway. These things were constructed over thousands of years - they must have had immense value to the people who were prepared to do this. I totally want a burial mound for when I've popped my clogs. Maybe in 5-6000 years time archaeologists will think I'm some sort of powerful warlord :biggrin:

The thing with climate change is that for most of the history of the Earth, the average global temperature has been something like 10-15 degrees higher than it currently is, and there were no ice caps. In our ignorance the Human race has build its structures on places which were previously under the sea. I find it frustrating that governments around the world are pouring billions into trying to stop/slow climate change when it's a natural process and nature always wins. We should be investing that money into adapting to the inevitable changes. Granted because of our use of fossil fuels we could end up returning the planet to a Cretaceous type atmosphere where there's a load of CO2 floating around. But the Earth is resilient, give it a few million years and it'll be back to 'normal'. Makes you wonder if those Druid types have actually got a point which is relevant to modern life.

Because this is a rock and metal thread:
Reply 6708
[video="youtube;FSf8TWn9DwY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSf8TWn9DwY[/video]

6 minutes or so in is just the most badass crushing thing in the universe. Hnnngh riffz.
Original post by Betacra
[video="youtube;FSf8TWn9DwY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSf8TWn9DwY[/video]

6 minutes or so in is just the most badass crushing thing in the universe. Hnnngh riffz.

Still my favourite album of theirs. That riff around 2:00 in 'Sola Fide I' just. THAT RIFF. And around 2 minutes into 'Jubilate Deo' too. And 'Drink The Devil's Blood'.

IT'S JUST ALL SO GOOD. And 'First Prayer' is like. Exactly how non metal tracks on metal albums should be done. None of that boring ass meandering ambient **** that Varg is so keen on these days.
Reply 6710
Still my favourite album of theirs. That riff around 2:00 in 'Sola Fide I' just. THAT RIFF. And around 2 minutes into 'Jubilate Deo' too. And 'Drink The Devil's Blood'.

IT'S JUST ALL SO GOOD. And 'First Prayer' is like. Exactly how non metal tracks on metal albums should be done. None of that boring ass meandering ambient **** that Varg is so keen on these days.

I still think Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum is a little bit better, it's relentless chaos done to perfection. I do think SMRC is 2nd best, though, and I'd place Chaining the Katechon above Paracletus and then that above Kenose.

I've always liked all BM, but the moment I heard DsO it completely changed the way I look at BM as a genre, I find it that little bit harder to appreciate most other artists in the genre because DsO exist.

They really are just above and beyond the rest imo.
Original post by Betacra
I still think Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum is a little bit better, it's relentless chaos done to perfection. I do think SMRC is 2nd best, though, and I'd place Chaining the Katechon above Paracletus and then that above Kenose.

I've always liked all BM, but the moment I heard DsO it completely changed the way I look at BM as a genre, I find it that little bit harder to appreciate most other artists in the genre because DsO exist.

They really are just above and beyond the rest imo.

They're definitely one of the most influential bands within the genre these days, I think. Even if not a lot of other bands really sound like them.

For a while after Fas came out it was probably my favourite, but then I reverted to SMRC. The only 'weak' release is Infernal Battles imo. After SMRC everything else is about equal for me.

I really like CRUSHING DA HOLY TRINITY. Because that's one of the best compilation releases ever. DsO, Mgla, Clandestine Blaze, ffffffffuuuuuuu

'Diabolus Absconditus' is a choon.

I think this is possibly their best balance between spazzy 'dafuk is going on' **** and straight BM.
SMRC is the best DsO album, end of. Paracletus was kinda disappointing.
Original post by + polarity -

What is this?

I'll have to listen again with my earphones, but it sounds like Linkin Park or something :s-smilie:

I take back what said

Reply 6714
dunno if theres any melvins fans here but...new album

Anyone else on this thread listen to any death metal ie. Amputated, cattle decapitation, cannibal corpse, napalm death, aborted, dying fetus, decapitated suffocation, through the eyes of the dead, origin. Or deathcore

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Bosse-de-Nage have already finished their next album.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/bosse-de-nage-complete-work-on-new-album/

Sounds promising.

Original post by ninja_pidgeon
Anyone else on this thread listen to any death metal ie. Amputated, cattle decapitation, aborted, dying fetus, suffocation, through the eyes of the dead, origin. Or deathcore

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I listened to Engineering the Dead for the first time in æons.
Reply 6717
Just wondering but does anyone else here use Sputnikmusic or even rym?

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/profile.php?name=Adabelle

[Apart from Betacra]
[video="youtube;6G5-LnlGiaU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G5-LnlGiaU[/video]

Latest