The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Religious Studies B Unit 4 - Religious Philosophy and Ultimate Questions

QUOTES?!?!? DO WE NEED THEM?! Sorry but it's urgent. We do full-course on a sixth-period voluntary basis and our lessons got cut down to once a fortnight, plus my teacher changed twice, so I (and needless to say my whole class) are pretty behind. We have revision booklets but I'm not sure about quotes! :eek: :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We were told by our teacher that we don't need quotes, basically you just need to be able to explain religious views in the 6 mark questions etc but you don't need specific quotes :smile: x
Reply 2
How are you guys finding it? :biggrin:
Reply 3
For the morality paper, quotes made it a lot easier to explain your view, and so it was quite useful to have them. On this paper, it is much more about concepts than individual religious people's viewpoints - so, things like the Design Argument, etc. Sometimes questions come up which could use a quotation - for example, for 'how do religious people respond to evil', you could include 'love your neighbour' (Jesus)! But there aren't really many quotes you can learn for this paper!
Reply 4
Original post by Asamp
For the morality paper, quotes made it a lot easier to explain your view, and so it was quite useful to have them. On this paper, it is much more about concepts than individual religious people's viewpoints - so, things like the Design Argument, etc. Sometimes questions come up which could use a quotation - for example, for 'how do religious people respond to evil', you could include 'love your neighbour' (Jesus)! But there aren't really many quotes you can learn for this paper!

Well, that's not true at all. I've learnt a few quotes here and there and I intend to work them in - it's good to impress the examiner. For instance, "only God is good" (Mark 10:18).
Reply 5
Original post by Big-Daddy
Well, that's not true at all. I've learnt a few quotes here and there and I intend to work them in - it's good to impress the examiner. For instance, "only God is good" (Mark 10:18).

My teacher said the worst thing is when people try to force quotes in where they don't really fit, and try to make a connection. I would say it was much better to know the actual concept and be able to talk about, for example, Hume's ideas on miracles - than trying to put in a bible quote and making a point the quote doesn't really back up.
Reply 6
Original post by Asamp
My teacher said the worst thing is when people try to force quotes in where they don't really fit, and try to make a connection. I would say it was much better to know the actual concept and be able to talk about, for example, Hume's ideas on miracles - than trying to put in a bible quote and making a point the quote doesn't really back up.

The trick is to make them fit. I admit some people may find it difficult - that's why practice is needed to make it feel right. But I do admit that you don't need anywhere near the same number of quotes as would have benefited Unit 3. I'm probably going to aim to get 1-2 quotes in every topic I do for this one (Unit 3 was 9 or 10). And of course, you do need to know the thinkers' ideas as well.
Reply 7
did u guys do this gcse today? If so how did you find it?
Reply 8
Original post by Adriennet
did u guys do this gcse today? If so how did you find it?

Can AQA be discussed right away? I don't know.
Reply 9
yh it can, i did on the rest of my exams. it's just edexcel who have the rules I think.
Reply 10
Original post by Big-Daddy
Can AQA be discussed right away? I don't know.

Yeah it can, it's UK based
Reply 11
But anyway guys how did you find it, gahhhh it's like everything I DIDN'T revise came up! Like the morality argument! I briefly looked at it beforehand, but I was stupid enough not to go over it in detail.

But if anyone else did miracles - I noticed that about three of the questions, particularly the 6 marker, were very similar (if not the same as!) to some example questions in the AQA text book! I found that really, really weird.
Reply 12
Original post by voodoo_child
But anyway guys how did you find it, gahhhh it's like everything I DIDN'T revise came up! Like the morality argument! I briefly looked at it beforehand, but I was stupid enough not to go over it in detail.

But if anyone else did miracles - I noticed that about three of the questions, particularly the 6 marker, were very similar (if not the same as!) to some example questions in the AQA text book! I found that really, really weird.

omg same. and everyone came out like it was so easy and i was like ahhh! Miracles I did notice but omg I couldn't for the life of me remember the definition of a miracle. I found the last question of the existence of God (i think it was this section) does suffering make people stronger? hard. =[
I quite liked the exam. :smile:

OVERALL, I Found the exam Really Easy, I topics i did were: the existence of god, The problems with evil and suffering, Miracles, and Science & religion.

It was really weird, i noticed as well. Most of the Questions in the textbook for the topics: "existence of god, and miracles" were remarkably similar, or EVEN THE SAME EXACT QUESTIONS. :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 15
I really didn't like some of the 6 mark questions. I didn't like the suffering one or the the 'morality proves god exists.' but at least I could answer them all. i just didnt seem to find it as easy as everybody else did.
Reply 16
Original post by Adriennet
I really didn't like some of the 6 mark questions. I didn't like the suffering one or the the 'morality proves god exists.' but at least I could answer them all. i just didnt seem to find it as easy as everybody else did.

Yeah I answered every single question and I know some people didn't! I found it quite difficult though. I think it's mostly because of the way it's taught in my school - the lessons were only once a week in year 10, and they got cancelled frequently, and this year they got cut down to once a fortnight because of timetabling issues, and those were frequently cancelled too! We hardly got any in-class exam practise. We were given some revision booklets and photocopies from books by the teachers, which is fair enough, but it's difficult to do it all on your own, without being able to ask the teacher... :frown:
Reply 17
Yeah I answered every single question and I know some people didn't! I found it quite difficult though. I think it's mostly because of the way it's taught in my school - the lessons were only once a week in year 10, and they got cancelled frequently, and this year they got cut down to once a fortnight because of timetabling issues, and those were frequently cancelled too! We hardly got any in-class exam practise. We were given some revision booklets and photocopies from books by the teachers, which is fair enough, but it's difficult to do it all on your own, without being able to ask the teacher... :frown:

yh i bet! That must be hard! i didnt sign up for long course originally but we had a 2 year course which we finished a year early in year 10 so that class all had to do RS but i was fine with that because I find it interesting and i'm glad I did as i'm now planning to take it for A-Level. Do you mean you answered all the questions of the 4 or did you answer every single question! what did you get in the other unit?
Reply 18
hey guys, i found it very hard to include some 'religious arguments/beliefs' in the 6markers. so for a few, i made a generic point, but said Christians do it e.g.

A christian could say that 'special revelation would be more individual'

how many marks would i get? or am i inclined to give more specific religious beliefs?

OTHERWISE DAMNIT THIS WAS THE ONLY GCSE I CAN GET AN A* IN
Reply 19
Original post by ocelot92
hey guys, i found it very hard to include some 'religious arguments/beliefs' in the 6markers. so for a few, i made a generic point, but said Christians do it e.g.

A christian could say that 'special revelation would be more individual'

how many marks would i get? or am i inclined to give more specific religious beliefs?

OTHERWISE DAMNIT THIS WAS THE ONLY GCSE I CAN GET AN A* IN

you don't have to be that specific in this one its unlike last years. In practice I got six marks just by putting theists think... atheists think.... you should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest