The Student Room Group

Third year Law LLB elective help!!

I need some major advice on choosing my electives for third year, deadline is in 3 days!
I want to keep my choices open for working in a commercial firm as well as a high street firm (being my back-up plan) so I need to balance the modules I take

Does anyone know if Company law is essential to working in a commercial firm? Or is Commercial law and banking law enough? As I want to take family law, legal skills and either Criminal Justice or International Commercial Arbitration so I can't take Company law as well. Will I get penalized for not taking company law??

Also I cant decide whether to take criminal justice or international commercial arbitration? Which is highly regarded?

Finally has anyone done immigration law? I found EU law difficult to learn at the start and I didnt revise the free movement of workers for second year exams

Any help will be much appreciated!!
Reply 1
Company Law is a very important subject, should you make it to top management, be a member of Board of Directors.
Reply 2
Original post by ktwolves
Company Law is a very important subject, should you make it to top management, be a member of Board of Directors.

Thanks for your reply!
Is company law just as important to get a job in the commercial field working in the city?
Reply 3
Forgive my ignorance but what is legal skills and whats your reason for taking it? It just occurs to my untrained eye (I'm doing GDL so no company, commercial, banking law) that it sounds like stuff that is going to be compulsory on the LPC or BTPC so you're wasting a module. Happy to be put right if I'm off the mark.

Also, are LL.B modules the be all and end all? After all, they'll be superseded by your post-graduate studies - again, happy to be corrected... I'm genuinely curious :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Are the following of practical importance in day to day running of a company?
- Understading issues relating disputes amongst share-holders
- Understanding issues relating to directors duties
- Understanding the issues relating formalities, in corporate governance and compliance to Company Act
- Understaning issues relating corporate loan covenants, charges, merges and acquisitions
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jatlerrr
I need some major advice on choosing my electives for third year, deadline is in 3 days!
I want to keep my choices open for working in a commercial firm as well as a high street firm (being my back-up plan) so I need to balance the modules I take

Does anyone know if Company law is essential to working in a commercial firm? Or is Commercial law and banking law enough? As I want to take family law, legal skills and either Criminal Justice or International Commercial Arbitration so I can't take Company law as well. Will I get penalized for not taking company law??

Also I cant decide whether to take criminal justice or international commercial arbitration? Which is highly regarded?

Finally has anyone done immigration law? I found EU law difficult to learn at the start and I didnt revise the free movement of workers for second year exams

Any help will be much appreciated!!

I got a TC in a commercial firm last year having done:
Criminal, Roman, Tort, Consti, International Public, Criminology, EU, Land and Contract.

I haven't taken company nor commercial law this year.

Most stuff you learn on the LLB is useless. Take whatever you think is the most interesting.
Reply 6
OP, your mindset for choosing modules is horrible. Law firms of all types genuinely don't give a flying baboon's *******s what modules you choose.

Loads of my friends - like me - took non commercial types of modules and we all have training contracts. Those who do badly in the modules, do badly in their search for a training contract. It's that simple.

Quick Reply