The Student Room Group

Anyone go to City and Islington Sixth form?

I'm applying for A2 as I don't really like my current college, does anyone have a rough idea of my chances of getting accepted (already sent my application form).
I'm hoping for A/B's in AS for the subjects I would like to do at A2 at City and Islington (Politics or Eng Lit & Lang, Economics and Business Studies.)

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Can anyone tell me what it's like in terms of teaching and social? What are the people like?
Reply 2
Original post by maverick123
Can anyone tell me what it's like in terms of teaching and social? What are the people like?

You have to make sure that you are on the same exam board for each of those subjects you wish to continue.

I don't go there, but I applied for AS and got accepted but decided to go elsewhere. The social scene is pretty good, there is a wide range of people there, and no one really lives close by to be honest, so you'll probably make friends from people all around London. I have no idea about teaching, but when I was researching the school a lot of people come out with As so it can't be that bad. This is based on the few times I've been there and from speaking to friends who have or do go there.

If I were you I'd just stick to your current college, A2s are supposed to be harder, so perhaps you could just spend the year focusing on your exams instead of the "social scene". Also, bare in mind that you would be joining the A2 year, so everyone else who did the AS year would know each other, and you would be the new kid, unless you already know people there. Good luck.
Reply 3
I'm applying for A2 as I don't really like my current college, does anyone have a rough idea of my chances of getting accepted (already sent my application form).
I'm hoping for A/B's in AS for the subjects I would like to do at A2 at City and Islington (Politics or Eng Lit & Lang, Economics and Business Studies.)

Thanks in advance

Once your exam boards have been checked, if they are different, your grades will be converted for those boards and you'll carry on. C & I isn't particularly hard to get into, just make sure you are in the right crowd and don't put off your studies.

Where do you want to apply?
Plus where do you study currently?
Reply 4
Original post by COLON.D
You have to make sure that you are on the same exam board for each of those subjects you wish to continue.

I don't go there, but I applied for AS and got accepted but decided to go elsewhere. The social scene is pretty good, there is a wide range of people there, and no one really lives close by to be honest, so you'll probably make friends from people all around London. I have no idea about teaching, but when I was researching the school a lot of people come out with As so it can't be that bad. This is based on the few times I've been there and from speaking to friends who have or do go there.

If I were you I'd just stick to your current college, A2s are supposed to be harder, so perhaps you could just spend the year focusing on your exams instead of the "social scene". Also, bare in mind that you would be joining the A2 year, so everyone else who did the AS year would know each other, and you would be the new kid, unless you already know people there. Good luck.

I'm not changing for a better social life, my current college is just not very good academically...
Reply 5
Original post by Iqbal007
Once your exam boards have been checked, if they are different, your grades will be converted for those boards and you'll carry on. C & I isn't particularly hard to get into, just make sure you are in the right crowd and don't put off your studies.

Where do you want to apply?
Plus where do you study currently?

Rather not say where I am at the moment as it wouldn't really be for given that I've criticised it a fair bit on here.

I'm appplying to Richmond Upon Thames College as well, that looks pretty good, the enrichment stuff sounds excellent (which is important when applying for uni's) and the 2011 results looked pretty good, real mixture but alot of A*'s/A's/B's.

I've made my mind up it about this and I realise I'll have to try and fit in and make friends, but I'm not exactly shy so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Are there any other colleges you would recommend I apply for? Woodhouse wouldn't accept me because they don't allow the combination of Business Studies and Economics which is tbh is ridiculous. They said it was because uni's wouldn't allow it which is rubbish as I have contacted the uni's I would apply for (Notts/Manc/Leeds etc.) and they said it wouldn't be a problem. So unless all there students go to Oxbridge I just don't get it!
Reply 6
Also for City and Islington, is there like a good mix of people, from different backgrounds as that would be preferable for me
Reply 7
Also for City and Islington, is there like a good mix of people, from different backgrounds as that would be preferable for me, thanks for your help ppl!
Reply 8
Rather not say where I am at the moment as it wouldn't really be for given that I've criticised it a fair bit on here.

I'm appplying to Richmond Upon Thames College as well, that looks pretty good, the enrichment stuff sounds excellent (which is important when applying for uni's) and the 2011 results looked pretty good, real mixture but alot of A*'s/A's/B's.

I've made my mind up it about this and I realise I'll have to try and fit in and make friends, but I'm not exactly shy so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Are there any other colleges you would recommend I apply for? Woodhouse wouldn't accept me because they don't allow the combination of Business Studies and Economics which is tbh is ridiculous. They said it was because uni's wouldn't allow it which is rubbish as I have contacted the uni's I would apply for (Notts/Manc/Leeds etc.) and they said it wouldn't be a problem. So unless all there students go to Oxbridge I just don't get it!

You can tell m

Come on now, you can tell me :smile:

Well enrichment can be done in your spare time, just need to do a regular activity over a period of time which builds on your skills which you can talk about in your cv.

Everyone should be nice especially as your new, but C&I is large so some people would think you were there all the way since the beginning.

Well I went Woodhouse, I know why, because they overlap so much, Business is essentially a small part of Economics, so from a Uni's point of view, your just going a bit more in detail of a part of Economics. Woodhouse is stricter and wants people to have the right a-level choices which don't overlap, thats it, but some uni admissions people prefer other courses.

C&I is a large mix of people, even mature and so on.
Reply 9
Original post by Iqbal007
You can tell m

Come on now, you can tell me :smile:

Well enrichment can be done in your spare time, just need to do a regular activity over a period of time which builds on your skills which you can talk about in your cv.

Everyone should be nice especially as your new, but C&I is large so some people would think you were there all the way since the beginning.

Well I went Woodhouse, I know why, because they overlap so much, Business is essentially a small part of Economics, so from a Uni's point of view, your just going a bit more in detail of a part of Economics. Woodhouse is stricter and wants people to have the right a-level choices which don't overlap, thats it, but some uni admissions people prefer other courses.

C&I is a large mix of people, even mature and so on.

They overlap a little, but for alot of courses doing both could even be seen as an advantage, I know a girl who got into Oxford with both but never mind...

Well I'm going to apply to those 2, hopefully one accepts me, I must say though atm I'm leaning slightly more towards Richmond because of the Enrichment and all the exam boards are the same for my subjects. Nahh mate, not saying, just really wouldn't be fair.
Reply 10
They overlap a little, but for alot of courses doing both could even be seen as an advantage, I know a girl who got into Oxford with both but never mind...

Well I'm going to apply to those 2, hopefully one accepts me, I must say though atm I'm leaning slightly more towards Richmond because of the Enrichment and all the exam boards are the same for my subjects. Nahh mate, not saying, just really wouldn't be fair.

Most top state and private colleges/6th form, don't allow it or discourage it.....because the overlap is considered significant in some views, and compared to someone doing non-overlapping subject, they are at a disadvantage and would be working harder.
Oxford? When was that? Cos top uni's have a secret balcklist, only LSE publicly acknowledge the non-preferred courses.

Enrichment is a good way to meet to new people, so it would benefit you socially...but check it over, because my old college did enrichment was first years only.
Reply 11

Thanks in advance

Whats your previous college by the way im just curious
Also for City and Islington, is there like a good mix of people, from different backgrounds as that would be preferable for me, thanks for your help ppl!

I just finished at City and there are loaaads of different backgrounds seriously its great :biggrin:

I think the teaching is really good, certain teachers are better than others (depends how you learn I guess) but I really think its a great college,
and social wise there are so many friendly people, I didn't know anyone when I went there and have met some really great friends..

A2 was definitely the best year and if you're starting anew you should definitely do the enrichment play/production thing because you meet some amazing people! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending