The Student Room Group

Getting fit for world challenge

I'm going to Ecuador this July with world challenge and I really really need to get fit! As part of it there's a 3 day trek at an altitude of 3000 metres up a steep mountain so I know that this is going to affect my ability to cope
I go to the gym about twice a week, but does anyone have any good suggestions as to what else to do to get fit for this kind of thing?? :smile:
Reply 1
hmm....i know just the site

http://bit.ly/Kvh4JB
Walk. It's what you'll be doing, after all.
Reply 3
at the gym i would do all sorts of cardio vary it and go for duration
Reply 4
high i did world challenge last summer and it was amazing, i was fine fitness wise but i literally started going to the gym 1 month ago and now my biggest regret is doing NO training for it because it would have helped. so well done for that..

anyway, cycling/swimming are good... swimming is really good for breathing as well as cardio so should help you high altitude... also if you live near the beach running on sand is supposed to be good.
Reply 5
Original post by laseine
high i did world challenge last summer and it was amazing, i was fine fitness wise but i literally started going to the gym 1 month ago and now my biggest regret is doing NO training for it because it would have helped. so well done for that..

anyway, cycling/swimming are good... swimming is really good for breathing as well as cardio so should help you high altitude... also if you live near the beach running on sand is supposed to be good.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near the sea or even a hilly area but I'll go running anyway

Where did you go for world challenge and what did you do??
Reply 6
Original post by Butterfly9595
Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near the sea or even a hilly area but I'll go running anyway

Where did you go for world challenge and what did you do??

hey i will send you a PM :smile:
Original post by Butterfly9595
I'm going to Ecuador this July with world challenge and I really really need to get fit! As part of it there's a 3 day trek at an altitude of 3000 metres up a steep mountain so I know that this is going to affect my ability to cope
I go to the gym about twice a week, but does anyone have any good suggestions as to what else to do to get fit for this kind of thing?? :smile:

I'm going on this expedition in July! I'm quite unfit (bleep test was horrible) but getting there I hope- and I'm having a walking stick.

How was it?? Tips? How closely to the itinerary was it? Tbh it sounds cool and experience of a lifetime, but I'm so nervous idk if I want to go! Obvs I will go, but 2 weeks away from home is horrible :frown: :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest