The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

What is life like in Bath?

Hi, I am thinking of going to Bath Spa to study History. However, my main concern is social life. I have spent a lot of time in London over the last year or so, and although I have never been out in London (or anywhere really) it's obvious nightlife is good.

I do want to go to university and make the most of it, but I am worried that going to Bath is going to be going to a quaint Georgian city with nothing in it. I know it's close the Bristol, but is that practical?

I am trying to decide between Bath and London. So what is social life like in Bath? I get the impression that anything that is there would be exhaustd after a month or two.
Reply 1
Hi, I visited Bath today and I pretty much decided now that I'm not going :/ I was applying to do teaching at bath spa but a whole bunch of stuff put me off, however the city itself wasn't the main one. It is gorgeous, but yeah I was bored after about an hour. I even went on the open top bus with my mum (looking like a complete fool :biggrin:) for something to do really. I haven't explored the city to it's full *at all though* but from what I gather there is not really a lot for students? I dont know much about Bristol, is it renound for being amazing for nightlife? Cool if so, as it is near, but personally I would go for London, but I am from there so a bit bias :biggrin:

This may help http://visitbath.co.uk/things-to-do/entertainment-and-nightlife
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
I live in London and yeah theres loads to do but not much on a student budget. The times I do get to go out Theres problems such as overcrowding I once had to wait 10 minutes in a queue to be allowed out to have a ciggarete. (To be fair this was new yrs eve:tongue:)
Reply 3
Original post by ATTICUS21
Hi, I visited Bath today and I pretty much decided now that I'm not going :/ I was applying to do teaching at bath spa but a whole bunch of stuff put me off, however the city itself wasn't the main one. It is gorgeous, but yeah I was bored after about an hour. I even went on the open top bus with my mum (looking like a complete fool :biggrin:) for something to do really. I haven't explored the city to it's full *at all though* but from what I gather there is not really a lot for students? I dont know much about Bristol, is it renound for being amazing for nightlife? Cool if so, as it is near, but personally I would go for London, but I am from there so a bit bias :biggrin:

This may help http://visitbath.co.uk/things-to-do/entertainment-and-nightlife

That's my concern. I don't want to spend three years somewhere that I will be bored of after the first day, but there is so much that draws me there, yet sadly stuff that puts me off. Bristol's closeness seems like the only redeeming thing.
Clean :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Lacus
That's my concern. I don't want to spend three years somewhere that I will be bored of after the first day, but there is so much that draws me there, yet sadly stuff that puts me off. Bristol's closeness seems like the only redeeming thing.

I personally wouldn't go, seriously. I know a lot of people like it there but university should give you fun opportunities and bath doesn't in my opinion. Have you visited? Maybe give it a go if you can, and where else have you applied?
Reply 6
I personally wouldn't go, seriously. I know a lot of people like it there but university should give you fun opportunities and bath doesn't in my opinion. Have you visited? Maybe give it a go if you can, and where else have you applied?

What about Bristol? That's nearby, about 10 or 15 minutes by train, do you think that would make up for it?

I have applied to one London uni, and a few others that aren't large cities. This is because of grade limitations, not personal choice. I would have liked to have gone somewhere smaller and greener than London, but still bigger and with stuff to do.
I study at the uni of Bath so I can't say what the Bath Spa club is like but there is plenty to do in the centre. Bath is a really student friendly city and although the nightlife may not be as big as somewhere like London, Bristol is close and my uni offer socials to Bristol where they take you and bring you back as well as club entry for only £4 (again, this is likely to be different at spa though)
Original post by ChelseyElla
I study at the uni of Bath so I can't say what the Bath Spa club is like but there is plenty to do in the centre. Bath is a really student friendly city and although the nightlife may not be as big as somewhere like London, Bristol is close and my uni offer socials to Bristol where they take you and bring you back as well as club entry for only £4 (again, this is likely to be different at spa though)

This, I go to Bath as well, and the nightclubs are ok (but I'm not into clubs anyway so it's a bit of a non-issue, but I know friends who love it, and they never have any complaints).

There's not so much else to do in the town aside from the cinema, but what else are you going to do? We've missed the lack of a bowling alley or something, but there's tons of social spots and the surrounding countryside is great, whereas in London you're constantly stuck in the hubbub

You dismiss Bath based on a day trip and open-top bus tour? You should give the place more of a chance!

Bath has plenty of nightlife; as with absolutely anywhere, the people make the night, not the place. With two universities full of students and a bunch of clubs offering student nights there's PLENTY of fun to be had. And take that from someone who lives here, rather than someone who came for the day :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by soup_dragon87
You dismiss Bath based on a day trip and open-top bus tour? You should give the place more of a chance!

Bath has plenty of nightlife; as with absolutely anywhere, the people make the night, not the place. With two universities full of students and a bunch of clubs offering student nights there's PLENTY of fun to be had. And take that from someone who lives here, rather than someone who came for the day :wink:

Fair enough! :smile: Lacus I would try and visit, I went from London and it is not too expensive getting there and yeah Bristol being near is a bonus, personally I just didn't get the feeling that it wasn't the "one" for me as you do when you visit a bunch of campuses.

Bath spa is very green!
I have just finished at bath spa and am heading home in just over a week!
Bath is a great city there is night life it's just underground! There are quite a few clubs and tonnes of pubs in 3 years I have never thought 'this city is boring' and I don't know anyone who has!!
Our su though is a bit rubbish in terms of night life apart from the balls which are amazing!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
Original post by Lacus
Hi, I am thinking of going to Bath Spa to study History. However, my main concern is social life. I have spent a lot of time in London over the last year or so, and although I have never been out in London (or anywhere really) it's obvious nightlife is good.

I do want to go to university and make the most of it, but I am worried that going to Bath is going to be going to a quaint Georgian city with nothing in it. I know it's close the Bristol, but is that practical?

I am trying to decide between Bath and London. So what is social life like in Bath? I get the impression that anything that is there would be exhaustd after a month or two.

Not sure you'll get this now..but did you decide to go in the end? I'm hoping to study in Bath Spa too and i'm quite dubious. i'm not mad about night clubs and stuff, but i'm really scared of getting bored! I don't know, there's just not a lot of choices for the course I'm doing and bath spa seems like the best one. Let me know what you make of it :smile: and anyone else who gets this

Quick Reply

Latest