The Student Room Group

Question about what age a 16 year old girl or guy can date

1) Can a woman of 28 go out with a guy aged 16? Or would that just seem weird and we'd have to keep it to ourselves?

2) Can a 16 year old girl date a guy in his early 30s?

Thanks in advance for the answers.
Reply 1
1) It would seem stranger if you kept it a secret, I think the age gap is too large for me personally as you'd both be at different stages in life and want different things but if you really want to go for it just be careful . But I would question why a grown woman wants to date a boy?

2) Yes its legal but again they would be at completely different stages in life, the 16 year old would be at school most likely and the man might want to have kids at his age! But again, everyone is different, although if my dad found out I was going out with a 30 year old when I was 16 I wouldn't be allowed out the house most likely!

Tbh, in both cases I would say no don't do it :/
Reply 2
Ok, any more?
I'm 17 and i would find that creepy. Sure an older person might meet a younger person who they find lovely and get along with, but one of them isn't even an adult, besides it's very impractical so why bother?
Obvious troll is obvious.
Reply 5
Legally in the UK - yes.

Morally - not really, he is an adult and has lived his life and people will judge him and call him a pedophile, even though he is not.
Yeah why not both are fine
Original post by tooti
1) It would seem stranger if you kept it a secret, I think the age gap is too large for me personally as you'd both be at different stages in life and want different things but if you really want to go for it just be careful . But I would question why a grown woman wants to date a boy?

2) Yes its legal but again they would be at completely different stages in life, the 16 year old would be at school most likely and the man might want to have kids at his age! But again, everyone is different, although if my dad found out I was going out with a 30 year old when I was 16 I wouldn't be allowed out the house most likely!

Tbh, in both cases I would say no don't do it :/

But why are the answers for both circumstances different when roles are reversed?
Reply 8
Original post by thesmileyone69
But why are the answers for both circumstances different when roles are reversed?

They were pretty much the same apart from: mid 30s/28 is different, more older men date younger women than older women and young men (doesn't mean its right), fathers are more protective over their daughters than sons, but both I don't think are good situations for a relationship.

At 16, I would say date no-one over the age of 19, but again everyone is different.
Im 21 (guy) and Im dating a 17 yo, I was 20 when it started and she was 16. At first I was very worried about it, although she wasn't. I would like to get peoples opinions on this, if you didn't know the people and heard a 21yo was dating a 17yo what would your reaction be?
Original post by Anonymous
Im 21 (guy) and Im dating a 17 yo, I was 20 when it started and she was 16. At first I was very worried about it, although she wasn't. I would like to get peoples opinions on this, if you didn't know the people and heard a 21yo was dating a 17yo what would your reaction be?

I would think nothing of this at all. Its 4 years difference, which is not a huge age gap at all - a smallminority may make a big deal out of the fact that the girl is 17. Yet when she turns 18 all issues seem to disappear.
creepy

on both counts

why on earth cant they get someone closer thier own age
Reply 12
Original post by silverbolt
creepy

on both counts

why on earth cant they get someone closer thier own age

Say that to Celine Dion, she met her future husband when she was only 12 and he was 38! Jeez!

But at least 16+ (in the UK) it is illegal so there is nothing wrong in it really law wise.
Once they're 16, they can date who they want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending