The Student Room Group

What careers can you go into with an International Relations degree...?

I really want to go into Physiotherapy, but If it doesn't happen, I'm thinking that my next choice would be International Relations. But I wanted to know about the career options for someone who has a degree in I.R.

What can one do with a degree in I.R...? Would it be hard to find work with a degree like that?
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
I really want to go into Physiotherapy, but If it doesn't happen, I'm thinking that my next choice would be International Relations. But I wanted to know about the career options for someone who has a degree in I.R.

What can one do with a degree in I.R...? Would it be hard to find work with a degree like that?

Hi there,

A degree in International Relations covers so many topics, on my degree in the last two years I have studied politics, philosophy, economics, history etc, so you can basically go into loads of different career paths. Graduates from our department have gone into the media, into law, have become politicians / ambassadors / diplomats etc. So if you're passionate about studying IR don't worry about the career prospects, there are loads of things you can study!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by HannerBanner
Hi there,

A degree in International Relations covers so many topics, on my degree in the last two years I have studied politics, philosophy, economics, history etc, so you can basically go into loads of different career paths. Graduates from our department have gone into the media, into law, have become politicians / ambassadors / diplomats etc. So if you're passionate about studying IR don't worry about the career prospects, there are loads of things you can study!

Hope this helps :smile:

Can you work for UN or Embassy? What about top companies in London? I just worry that I could study I.R, but then spend 6 months to a year looking for work after I graduate. It would be nice to know that the degree will get me into a career ASAP after graduating.
Reply 3
Could work for UN, Unicef and other charities, Government, MI5, loads of places probably.
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
Can you work for UN or Embassy? What about top companies in London? I just worry that I could study I.R, but then spend 6 months to a year looking for work after I graduate. It would be nice to know that the degree will get me into a career ASAP after graduating.

Hi there,

Obviously the degree on its own isn't going to be enough to get you into the UN or an embassy job, these jobs are extremely competitive, so you'd have to have an outstanding application and be an exceptional candidate.

No job is guaranteed when you graduate, it depends on what you have done, your CV, and where and what you are applying / applying for.

Hannah
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending