The Student Room Group

What anatomy books do different medical schools advise students to use?

What anatomy books do different medical schools advise students to use? i.e. Gray's anatomy, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I would say you will need a copy of grays anatomy as this is an excellent resource (it is not just a tv show)
Reply 2
Have a look here for some suggestions. You really don't need to buy anything until you actually start at uni though.
Reply 3
Original post by UPPSY
I would say you will need a copy of grays anatomy as this is an excellent resource (it is not just a tv show)

yeah, I've got that one :smile:

Original post by Helenia
Have a look here for some suggestions. You really don't need to buy anything until you actually start at uni though.

cheers :smile: and aha, anatomy is a subject I'm interested in, so why wait till uni to start studying it? :') I was just wondering what books are actually recommended by med schools (mainly due to the fact I'm really bored of my half my current a-level textbooks containing wrong/ambiguous content!)
Reply 4
Grey's or Clinically Oriented. The former is a bit easier to track down the information needed for first year, but doesn't have a lot of the stuff needed for second year.
At UEA you need Integrated Anatomy. Many people also say they need a second book alongside it as it's too technical, but I get along with it fine.
Aberdeen tell you to buy clinical anatomy but I threw it out and got Grays, it's just in another league. Far far easier to visualise and much easier to read.
At Cambridge it tends to be either Gray's for Students or Clinically Oriented Anatomy, and then McMinn's for dissections.
As everyone is saying, Gray's Anatomy for Students is great

There's also neuroanatomy which isn't covered in Gray's but (at King's) constitutes quite a considerable chunk of 2nd year. Crossman & Neary's Neuroanatomy is brilliant for this. It's only about 200 pages and is divided into very manageable sections so you can quite comfortably just read it from start to finish.
Reply 9
To be fair, if you're wanting to study before you get to medical school (:confused:) the best subject is probably anatomy. As has been said, a book like Gray's is probably the best bet because I think Moore's might be too clinical for learning gross anatomy.
Reply 10
Original post by Beska
To be fair, if you're wanting to study before you get to medical school (:confused:) the best subject is probably anatomy. As has been said, a book like Gray's is probably the best bet because I think Moore's might be too clinical for learning gross anatomy.

cheers! :smile: and the reason is because I'm doing my a-levels a year early so will have a year before I start, where I might as well be studying something related to what I want to do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending