The Student Room Group

CCEA Mathematics T4- 6/6/12

Did anyone else do this paper, and how did they find it.
Personally, I found it quite tricky. Especially the first and last questions, the histogram (How do you even estimate the median?), and the stratified sampling.

Better prepare for T6 on Monday...
Reply 1
Yep, I found it hard too... I didn't get the last one and I found a few other tricky as well :frown: the bearing last one and the circle theorems reason one.
I used the sine rule for the bearings question. Apparently that was the right method according to a few people I asked, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I thought it was hard and somebody I know that's amazing at maths is convinced he got a D. I came out of the exam feeling okay, so hopefully I get an A overall, which I seriously need.
Reply 3
Yeah I thought the first and last question was quite hard :L Somebody told me that the first answer was 4 and the last one was a=1 b=-1 and c=2 but I'm not sure :/ For the second last question the 9^2n =1/3 I used logs from add maths.:s-smilie: But I think all went well :biggrin:
Reply 4
Well, after counting up my marks four times during the exam, I'm pretty sure I got somewhere in the 80s. So that's an A at least. But to be honest, I thought it was a bit easier than the past papers (maybe that's just all the revision I've been doing :tongue:), albeit still difficult. The only questions I really messed up on was the last question, the median on the histogram (1500? Anybody?), and the really easy basic bread-and-butter questions like factorising 6xa2 + abx + 12xb2 and solving the fractional equations. Grr.

Just out of interest, did anyone else have their teacher go over the exam after they had done it? We had Maths straight after our exam and our teacher just took out a copy and started doing all the questions. I had no idea they were allowed access to them that quickly...

I used the sine rule for the bearings question. Apparently that was the right method according to a few people I asked, I'm not sure.

You could have used the sine or cosine rule, I think. I used the latter. Took me about 20 minutes to do it though, mainly because I didn't realise they gave two of the distances. First rule of exams, read the question! :rolleyes:

Somebody told me that the first answer was 4 and the last one was a=1 b=-1 and c=2 but I'm not sure :/ For the second last question the 9^2n =1/3 I used logs from add maths.

4 is correct according to practically my entire class, and I am pretty sure those answers to the last question are right as well ('course, I didn't get it myself, but I trust other people xD). We haven't done logs yet, but the answer was -1/4 for the penultimate question.

Wish you all luck for T6! (And anyone who's doing Chemistry on Tuesday :tongue:)
Reply 5
Original post by GhostlyFish
Well, after counting up my marks four times during the exam, I'm pretty sure I got somewhere in the 80s. So that's an A at least. But to be honest, I thought it was a bit easier than the past papers (maybe that's just all the revision I've been doing :tongue:), albeit still difficult. The only questions I really messed up on was the last question, the median on the histogram (1500? Anybody?), and the really easy basic bread-and-butter questions like factorising 6xa2 + abx + 12xb2 and solving the fractional equations. Grr.

Just out of interest, did anyone else have their teacher go over the exam after they had done it? We had Maths straight after our exam and our teacher just took out a copy and started doing all the questions. I had no idea they were allowed access to them that quickly...

No, our teacher didn't say anything to us, they didn't even appear outside the hall :L :s-smilie: (What lovely teachers :L)

Original post by GhostlyFish
You could have used the sine or cosine rule, I think. I used the latter. Took me about 20 minutes to do it though, mainly because I didn't realise they gave two of the distances. First rule of exams, read the question! :rolleyes:

4 is correct according to practically my entire class, and I am pretty sure those answers to the last question are right as well ('course, I didn't get it myself, but I trust other people xD). We haven't done logs yet, but the answer was -1/4 for the penultimate question.

Wish you all luck for T6! (And anyone who's doing Chemistry on Tuesday :tongue:)

Phew! :biggrin: Good enough, I'll probably get an A too :smile: Yeah :frown: I think Chemistry is usually quite handy but then looking over all of this years work, I have no idea on moles :L
That's interesting we did T4 last year and I have T6 on monday :s-smilie: I find maths quite hard.. let's just say it isn't my best subject :L Anyway I just made it to a B in T4, if I do well in T6 would it bring my grade up a bit? Like I really can't afford a C :frown:
Original post by Procrastinator123
That's interesting we did T4 last year and I have T6 on monday :s-smilie: I find maths quite hard.. let's just say it isn't my best subject :L Anyway I just made it to a B in T4, if I do well in T6 would it bring my grade up a bit? Like I really can't afford a C :frown:

If you got a B in T4, you can still get an A as long as you do well in the T6.
Reply 8
What was the answer to the Bearings question?
I got 026.something.
Reply 9
what was the median value for the histogram question?
Original post by TheSilentFez
What was the answer to the Bearings question?
I got 026.something.

Yup, 026. Of course, I forgot the 0 at the start. Good god I'm doomed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending