The Student Room Group

"Serious Mass" weight gain + Acne antibiotics

Ok I know this gets asked a lot but I'm yet to see a well put together answer.

I'm taking "Tetralysal 300 (lymecycline)" which is an antibiotic for Acne, with a course lasting around 6 months (I'm on my 6 month now and my doctor has prescbribed it for another 2 atleast)

It states on the box that I should avoid Milk and medicines containing Zinc and Iron (It says in the instructions "Moderate levels of milk should not effect the absorbtion of Tetralysal" and to "Wait atleast 2 hours after taking the medication before eating or taking remedies containing Zinc or Iron.

Problem is my weight gain shake contains all of what I'm told to avoid

I spoke to my doctor about taking protein at the same time as the medication and she wasn't even aware I was to avoid dairy/zinc/iron.... infact her response was "I didn't know you have to avoid them.... if it says to avoid it on the box avoid it" but in reality all I want to know is can I take them at different times of the day? if not.... why not?

Any answers based on experience would be great!

Thanks!
imbalances
oh and wake gainers always give me spots.. may wanna look into that
Reply 3
I took this antibiotic for aaaaages (years) and have only just come off it, and I had no idea you had to avoid milk - i took it with milk loads I think!
As far as my experience goes, I didn't have any issues with this, and I even drank alcohol for the entirety of my treatment and it didn't affect me at all (as far as I know), the only think I was wary of was that it decreases the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill - not an issue in your case!
If you are worried, then just take the antibiotic as far away (time wise) from your weight gain shake.
Original post by BlueBearBC
Ok I know this gets asked a lot but I'm yet to see a well put together answer.

I'm taking "Tetralysal 300 (lymecycline)" which is an antibiotic for Acne, with a course lasting around 6 months (I'm on my 6 month now and my doctor has prescbribed it for another 2 atleast)

It states on the box that I should avoid Milk and medicines containing Zinc and Iron (It says in the instructions "Moderate levels of milk should not effect the absorbtion of Tetralysal" and to "Wait atleast 2 hours after taking the medication before eating or taking remedies containing Zinc or Iron.

Problem is my weight gain shake contains all of what I'm told to avoid

I spoke to my doctor about taking protein at the same time as the medication and she wasn't even aware I was to avoid dairy/zinc/iron.... infact her response was "I didn't know you have to avoid them.... if it says to avoid it on the box avoid it" but in reality all I want to know is can I take them at different times of the day? if not.... why not?

Any answers based on experience would be great!

Thanks!

Lymecycline is from a group of antibiotics called the tetracyclines. The problem is that one of their characteristics is to bind to metal ions in your diet, such as zinc and calcium, which inactivates them. Hence you're advised against zinc/calcium supplements or consuming zinc/calcium rich foods within 2 hours of taking them).
what weight gain shake do you take? I'm looking to put on weight (really badly I've got 1 stone in 3 months due to stress)
Good grief, do they still prescribe oral broad-spectrum antibiotics for acne!
Original post by Turkey Dinosaur
Lymecycline is from a group of antibiotics called the tetracyclines. The problem is that one of their characteristics is to bind to metal ions in your diet, such as zinc and calcium, which inactivates them. Hence you're advised against zinc/calcium supplements or consuming zinc/calcium rich foods within 2 hours of taking them).

Yes completely agree!!!
Reply 8
Original post by ruhenaahmed23
what weight gain shake do you take? I'm looking to put on weight (really badly I've got 1 stone in 3 months due to stress)

According to the title the weight gainer used is Serious Mass. See:
http://www.optimumnutrition.com/en_US/products/serious-mass
Reply 9
Im wondering if anyone can help... im taking lymecycline for my acne and have been for 5 weeks. In this time i have rapidly gained weight, around 10lbs.. never have gained weight this fast or had to dirt in my life. Could this be related to the antibiotics?
Hi Nancy, I have been on them for about 4 weeks and the same problem has happened to me. Do you think it was the antibiotics still? Ruby
I’ve been taking Lymecycline for 3 months now and have noticed serious weight gain, so i’ve stopped taking it.
I have been taking this for some time for a series acne type and have increased in weight.not eating more but is this due to taking this
I have been taking lymecycline for some considerable time now and i have noticed weight gain

Quick Reply

Latest