The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4920
Newcastle agree a new EIGHT YEAR contract with chief scout Graham Carr :coma:
Reply 4921
Original post by River85
How do you know? It's really just paper talk.

The type of player we (Manchester United) need right now, we are going to get at the end of the month (Kagawa) - a creative midfielder/playmaker.

Although a defensive/holding midfielder might be nice, we aren't desperate for one and, even if we were to get one, will probably look elsewhere. Tiote has been average this season and will miss part of next season through the ACON. He is also unlikely to go for under £20 million and I just can't see the club spending that much on him (especially when we could still do with a striker and LB - all higher priorities than Tiote in my opinion).

Maybe I'll look at a fool at the end of the summer he'll leave for us but I can't see it. I cannot speak for Chelsea, however.

Man Utd need a whole new centre of midfield. SAF knows this. That's why he wants Modric & Tiote in the centre.

I agree that i can't see man utd spending £20m on him but will they get someone as good for less?
Original post by Vintage
Man Utd need a whole new centre of midfield. SAF knows this. That's why he wants Modric & Tiote in the centre.

Not a "whole new centre of midfield". Cleverley and Anderson formed a very promising creative partnership at the beginning of the season until their injuries. If they can remain injury free then they'll need game time. Though personally I can't see this happening and Anderson will likely leave at some point.

Carrick performs well in that deeper midfield role (did you see how well Carrick and Scholes played together)? Scholes has another season but will obviously be rotated.

Jones still needs to find his position. He either needs to stick as a central defender and learn to stop being so gung ho,or utilised as a defensive midfielder.

I was going to say Pogba, should he stay, needs more game time. However it looks like he has buggered off to Juve.

What we needed was a creative midfielder,not a whole new midfield, and, in Kagawa, we have one. To add Modric or a defensive/holding midfielder would be a bonus but all three isn't going to happen. It's too expensive and, even with a squad rotation policy in place,will not give sufficient game time to developing talents like Cleverley.

I agree that i can't see man utd spending £20m on him but will they get someone as good for less?

Manchester United cannot afford around £15 million for Kagawa, £30 million for Modric and £20 million for Tiote. A left back and possibly a striker should also be signed in my opinion.

If we are looking to spend £15 - £25 million on a central midfielder it will more likely be someone from Europe (and a non-African) like Strootman. If we get Tiote, or any other central/defensive midfieler, then we will not be getting Modric.
Hughton's been unveiled at Norwich this afternoon. :yy: Thoroughly deserved, but he has his work cut out next season for sure!!
Reply 4924
Original post by Vintage

Think any of the premier league teams would be daft if they go after Tiote for that sort of money when they could pick up Yann M'vila for around the same, who to be fair is a far better player. I'd be much more worried about Cabaye if he has a good tournament.
So, some recent Newcastle news.

1) Made a bid on Vurnon Anita, Ajax midfielder. Pretty similar to Tioté apparently... he's exactly the same age (23) as Tioté when we signed him. Never stops running.

2) Still going after Mathieu Debuchy, along with the likes of Inter and Real Madrid. Meanwhile, it would probably be wise to sell Danny Simpson while he still has a year on his contract left so he doesn't just leave on a free.

3) The scout responsible for so many of our recent signings, Graham Carr, will be in Newcastle for another 8 years. Hopefully that means we'll be seeing more players with the quality of Cissé, Ben Arfa, Tioté, and Cabaye.

Hope you guys are enjoying the Euros and having a nice summer. :beard:
Hello,
Really sorry to butt in, but I was wondering if anybody could tell me when the new Newcastle home kit comes on sale?
Reply 4927
[video="youtube;NNKDhfx3Rgg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNKDhfx3Rgg[/video]

This has been up for ages, but its a pretty good video...
:daydreaming:
Reply 4928
:colone:

IN-DEMAND defender Mathieu Debuchy wants to snub Continental interest and move to Newcastle United this summer, The Journal can reveal.

Having already opened negotiations with Lille, United want to double Debuchy’s Ligue 1 wages and offer him a five-year deal to join their French revolution.

They believe the move would have already been concluded if it had not been for his sudden elevation to France’s first-choice right-back following an injury to Arsenal’s Bacary Sagna.

His fine performance in Monday’s Euro 2012 Group D opener against England proved his undoubted class and illustrated just why United are not the only team keen to secure his services in the close season. However, senior sources have told The Journal Newcastle are not worried that their long-standing pursuit of Debuchy will be damaged by his fine performance in Donetsk.

We understand the defender has told close friend Yohan Cabaye on several occasions he wants to join him on Tyneside a message relayed back to United’s hierarchy through Debuchy’s representatives at the end of May.

Newcastle wanted to push through a move before the European Championships but despite opening negotiations they could not agree a fee with Lille, which will be their priority as soon as France are knocked out of the tournament in Poland and Ukraine.

Although a player of promise, they are not especially anxious about news Inter Milan have joined the race for his services and believe the presence of Cabaye in their squad is a major factor in their favour.

Debuchy favours a move to England and, with neither of the Manchester clubs likely to join a bidding war for the player, Lille are ready for further negotiations with Newcastle. However, he revealed yesterday he would not decide his future until after France’s Euro 2012 campaign.

Debuchy said: “Right now, I am focused on the Euros.

“I have wishes, but we will discuss them later.”

Reports in France have claimed there is a release fee in Debuchy’s Ligue 1 contract but, had that been the case, United would have attempted to push through a swift deal as they did with Cabaye.

Instead they will wait until after the conclusion of the European Championships to resume their negotiations with the former French champions. If Debuchy (pictured right) does sign for United it further complicates Danny Simpson’s situation. The right-back has posted a string of messages on his Twitter account expressing disappointment at the way his contract negotiations are being reported.

However, The Journal understands there has been no fresh talk between the United hierarchy and his new agent David Manasseh since the end of the season.

At this point, Simpson is poised to report back for pre-season training to try and retain his place in the United side although his contract situation has alerted Fulham and West Ham. QPR have also been linked to the £2million-rated defender.

Meanwhile, The Journal can reveal that United are unlikely to broker any deals while events in Poland and Ukraine unfold.

It is understood most of United’s senior figures are on holiday and do not expect any business to be concluded until the conclusion of Euro 2012.

United have spoken to Ajax about Holland international Vurnon Anita but Tyneside sources say they were merely “testing the water” with the Dutch giants.

Newcastle’s interest is genuine but they will not break the bank for the versatile 23-year-old and if Ajax stand firm on their £8million valuation United will look elsewhere. Anita appeals to Newcastle’s power brokers because he can play either in the defensive midfield role or at left-back.

With an increased fixture list due to their qualification for the Europa League, versatility has been made a key priority in all of their summer transfer business.

:: NEWCASTLE will face Porto and Olympiacos in Portugal as part of their pre-season preparations in the Guadiana Torneo at the Algarve Stadium near Faro.

They play Olympiacos on Friday, July 27 and Porto the next day. Both games kick-off at 8.45pm.
Reply 4929
Of course Newcastle as well known and are doing well which can only help our case in signing him, but Cabaye will probably be very important in this. If Debuchy joins, he will have a lot to do with it, and it probably also indirectly says Cabaye is very happy with Newcastle and at least sees himself here a bit longer.
Reply 4930
Great signing if you make it, certainly an improvement on Simpson :biggrin:
Cwar predicted on Twitter: "Tomorrows Times & Guardian reporting Chelsea want Ben Arfa & prepared to pay 18m"

£18M seems extremely low for a player of HBAs quality when you consider Chelsea bought Torress for £50M and Hazard for not much less.
vive la france!!

I always knew the frogs were going to do well, even IF they failed to beat England and didn't sub on HBA until the 86th minute :cool:

Hahaha but seriously, Cabaye looked good in the french squad as did Debuchy, would absolutely love to see both of them playing in black and white next season. Shame that HBA didn't get more of a game because he didn't contribute much at all. Still happy with how things are shaping up atm for the castle :smile:
Looks like Spurs are going tits up; that's one of our top 6 rivals out the way already. :colone:
Original post by Vintage
Yup.

I even think Ba might stay.

Only worried about Tiote. Interest is hotting up between Chelsea and Man Utd for him, and he's exactly what both clubs need.

Not even slightly worried about Cabaye, Krul, Colla, Santon, Cisse, HBA yet.

Tiote, united haven't played with a natural holding DM for years, doubt they'll use one now.

Also, you must be smoking crack if you think chelsea need a holding midfielder, mikel and romeu are there already, mikel actually showing his full worth the second half of the season while romeu isn't playing for barca just because of busquetts and mascherano.

if we don't have them we can use essien or even meireles there. That and goalie are probably the last areas possible that chelsea need to strengthen.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by scriggy
Looks like Spurs are going tits up; that's one of our top 6 rivals out the way already. :colone:

I doubt it, like I said in other threads, this reminds me of chelsea 12 years ago, they won't go away until financial constraints hit them. I can see you coming above them though, but europa league is beckoning for you guys the next season from the way it looks like, I don't know how arsene wenger does it but arsenal always are in the top 4, chelsea have strengthened, while city and united were a mile from the rest last season and probably will be even stronger next season, especially united.

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but watch out for liverpool.

Original post by KingGoonIan
Cwar predicted on Twitter: "Tomorrows Times & Guardian reporting Chelsea want Ben Arfa & prepared to pay 18m"

£18M seems extremely low for a player of HBAs quality when you consider Chelsea bought Torress for £50M and Hazard for not much less.

Can't see us buying him, although maybe it's an option if hulk is out of our reach though, but I believe that you guys are safe for now, plus I doubt you'll sell him, heard that you'll only sell your players for 'serious money.' Although, bare in mind that hazard is 20 while ben arfa is 23/24 I think, hazard has much more potential than ben arfa has, probably could become the best in the world in his position. That's why he's worth that much more than ben arfa. Although if HBA was 20, he would probably be worth 25 million.
(edited 11 years ago)
Is it just me or does Cabaye look out of his depth for France?

Cue negs or whatever, but I genuinely thought he was behind the pace of the game far too often.
Original post by Colonel.
Is it just me or does Cabaye look out of his depth for France?

Cue negs or whatever, but I genuinely thought he was behind the pace of the game far too often.

I actually thought he looked quite decent. But you have to consider that England defended quite well and were compact. Even the likes of Benzema and Ribery looked average on that day. The only players that stood out for France was Debuchy and Nasri.
Reply 4939
Sky Italia are now reporting that Galatasaray have signed #NUFC striker Demba Ba for a fee of €11 million.

Trending on Twitter atm, make of it what you will

EDIT: Turned out to be false.
(edited 11 years ago)