The Student Room Group

English Language AQA ENGB3 11th June 2012 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ahhh fml only like 4 days away
Reply 41
Original post by lumayaa
ahhh fml only like 4 days away

How are you feeling for the exam? I'm hoping that a transcript comes up for Language Acquisition, i find analysing spoken language a lot easier.
Reply 42
Is it likely that a reading/writing one will come up because ive kinda been planning on just revising spoken acquisition?!? Out of the three reading, writing and spoken :P
My teacher told us that the approach has to systematic, so we should separate paragraphs for each framework ( that we've decided to use) , is this a must?

Because I normally link the frameworks e.g ' This lexical choice has X semantic function however relies on pronunciation which means the pragmatic function is...'
Original post by canthardlywait
My teacher told us that the approach has to systematic, so we should separate paragraphs for each framework ( that we've decided to use) , is this a must?

Because I normally link the frameworks e.g ' This lexical choice has X semantic function however relies on pronunciation which means the pragmatic function is...'

I think it being systematic is quite important, but my lexis and semantic stuff always seems to cross over, but they do seem to like to see that there's a clear structure, but I don't think it's a bad thing if you cross over :smile: Like I sometimes end up mentioning grammar when I'm supposed to be talking about lexis, but as long as I go into grammar in more detail later, it seems to be okay.
Reply 45
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
I think it being systematic is quite important, but my lexis and semantic stuff always seems to cross over, but they do seem to like to see that there's a clear structure, but I don't think it's a bad thing if you cross over :smile: Like I sometimes end up mentioning grammar when I'm supposed to be talking about lexis, but as long as I go into grammar in more detail later, it seems to be okay.

My language change teacher says it's fine to do lexis and semantics together as they link so closely together:smile:
Original post by 05shorm
My language change teacher says it's fine to do lexis and semantics together as they link so closely together:smile:

Oh good ^_^ I've never been penalised for it before but it was easier to separate them at AS.
Reply 47
Hey was wondering if anyone could help me.

If we are given two texts goes section A, I.e spoken texts of child with mother texts A & B.
When writing up your answer would you compare these texts and pick out linguistic features or approach them separately.
Same with section B.
I'm abit confused.
There have been papers where they have compared and others where they havnt.
Whats the best option. Write about one text first i.e A and then about B?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by aqsawaheed
Hey was wondering if anyone could help me.

If we are given two texts goes section A, I.e spoken texts of child with mother texts A & B.
When writing up your answer would you compare these texts and pick out linguistic features or approach them separately.
Same with section B.
I'm abit confused.
There have been papers where they have compared and others where they havnt.
Whats the best option. Write about one text first i.e A and then about B?

You could compare them but it's more writing systematically in frameworks and mentioning both the texts. If you have extracts from different children or different time periods you would compare them, but sometimes they give you a lot of similar texts so you have more to talk about.
There's a paper... June 11, I think it was, the language change question 3 had about 6 texts to write about. There you wouldn't compare, but talk about things you've noticed as a whole :smile: but in the next question, which had two texts about the weather I think, you'd compare them I think.

So it depends! Hope that helps :smile:

Reply 49
Original post by nikhita15
Is it likely that a reading/writing one will come up because ive kinda been planning on just revising spoken acquisition?!? Out of the three reading, writing and spoken :P

I was told that you get a choice and there's almost always the choice to answer a question on spoken lang acquisition. I hope thats true, because its the one i'm most confident with :/
Reply 50
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
You could compare them but it's more writing systematically in frameworks and mentioning both the texts. If you have extracts from different children or different time periods you would compare them, but sometimes they give you a lot of similar texts so you have more to talk about.
There's a paper... June 11, I think it was, the language change question 3 had about 6 texts to write about. There you wouldn't compare, but talk about things you've noticed as a whole :smile: but in the next question, which had two texts about the weather I think, you'd compare them I think.

So it depends! Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks
That's just made sense!
I guess it is dependant on the texts we get.

Original post by aqsawaheed
Thanks
That's just made sense!
I guess it is dependant on the texts we get.

for spoken ive been told that you can literally go through the text, line by line and analyse the linguistic features that the child has used in each text. Only issue there is you may become repetative
Reply 52
Can anyone tell me how many marks you can obtain for each assessment objective? Also, I know the general contextual factors which can influence language change such as social, political, educational, migration, travel etc but are there many more which can be discussed, and how much detail do you go into?
Original post by Tom Hardy
Can anyone tell me how many marks you can obtain for each assessment objective? Also, I know the general contextual factors which can influence language change such as social, political, educational, migration, travel etc but are there many more which can be discussed, and how much detail do you go into?

A01, which is systematic analysis, going into detail with analysing and using the rights terms is 24.
A02, the being aware of issues and debates thing is 16.
A03 is context specific to the text you're given, which is 8.

And to answer your other question, I'd only mention them if they're really relevant and I wouldn't go into too much detail, just enough to show that you have a knowledge and keep it relevant.

Reply 54
Original post by Tom Hardy

For the contextual factors for language change, you could talk about technology (advances in computer software, the internet etc). My teacher has advised us that you can almost always talk about technology in terms of the printing press, which i usually link into graphology as well.
I think social change is probably the easiest to apply to most texts, as you could write about how, for example, war has affected the text, to things like the feminist movement (if its applicable of course).
Hey guys, I've been revising so much for my Physics exams as I need an A in both that I haven't really revised Language Change at all yet!! I only need a low C in this exam to get my grade for Uni so It's not too much to ask. I know my language acquisition stuff quite well and am hoping to get a good mark in that but I was wondering what you guys think I should focus on and revise for Language change in order to get a C in it. I'm a good crammer but I'm stressing and just need a little guidance. What are the most important things I should know and what theorists should I concentrate on?
Original post by sammillsbish
Hey guys, I've been revising so much for my Physics exams as I need an A in both that I haven't really revised Language Change at all yet!! I only need a low C in this exam to get my grade for Uni so It's not too much to ask. I know my language acquisition stuff quite well and am hoping to get a good mark in that but I was wondering what you guys think I should focus on and revise for Language change in order to get a C in it. I'm a good crammer but I'm stressing and just need a little guidance. What are the most important things I should know and what theorists should I concentrate on?

Language change is a difficult one for me in terms of preparing for it, I actually find writing about it much easier than acquisition. So much of it seems to rely on things you've learnt in English Language over the entire course, so I'd learn the key changes and historical changes which the textbook covers, and as for theorists, I don't know of many except Crystal and the ones who talk about why languages die :smile: Maybe the dictionaries, and standardisation and prescriptivism, printing press stuf flike that. sorry that was a bit useless but I don't properly revise for language change as I think a lot of it relies on stuff I know already...
Reply 57
Hi everyone, I thought I'd come and check out the English Language thread for the exam on Monday. I'm quite scared actually as I haven't revised for it... I've been soooo busy focusing on Psychology that I haven't given this a thought :K: does anyone have any idea's about what they think might come up, I'm really hoping that for Acq, we get a speaking transcript, otherwise I'll cry lol
Original post by KKN
Hi everyone, I thought I'd come and check out the English Language thread for the exam on Monday. I'm quite scared actually as I haven't revised for it... I've been soooo busy focusing on Psychology that I haven't given this a thought :K: does anyone have any idea's about what they think might come up, I'm really hoping that for Acq, we get a speaking transcript, otherwise I'll cry lol

I haven't revised it either =/ Been a bit nervous for my Spanish exam. Don't worry... And uhm, well for Acquisition they normally at least give you ONE speaking transcipt, but I'm more confident with those too :smile:
I am SO not ready for this exam :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending