The Student Room Group

A-LEVEL HISTORY?!?! To be or not to be...?

Hey. I'm still pondering over my a-level options. And I was wondering if anyone out there who is taking A-level History knows if I could survive if I haven't done History GCSE (which I regret :frown: )

I want to get an English Lit degree and I am taking; English Lit, Religious Studies and Biology but I don't know about forth.

Was previously planning on psychology but now I don't know. My school has limited options :frown:

Thanks
Reply 1
It depends on what your school did in History for GCSE-we did a lot of Russia at GCSE and that's also what we're doing at A level (kill me). I personally think that it's very useful if not essential to have History GCSE in order to do A level.
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
Hey. I'm still pondering over my a-level options. And I was wondering if anyone out there who is taking A-level History knows if I could survive if I haven't done History GCSE (which I regret :frown: )

I want to get an English Lit degree and I am taking; English Lit, Religious Studies and Biology but I don't know about forth.

Was previously planning on psychology but now I don't know. My school has limited options :frown:

Thanks

I am also considering taking history a level but I unlike you have taken the gcse. If your at an A/A* level for English lit then that would indicate you have sufficient essay skills. However, you may lack the ability to analyse sources as well as other candidates who practised this (like myself) a lot at GCSE level.
If you are academic, can write well structured essays easily and is actually interested in history I would recommend taking it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by gooner4ever
I am also considering taking history a level but I unlike you have taken the gcse. If your at an A/A* level for English lit then that would indicate you have sufficient essay skills. However, you may lack the ability to analyse sources as well as other candidates who practised this (like myself) a lot at GCSE level.
If you are academic, can write well structured essays easily and is actually interested in history I would recommend taking it!

Yeah I'm getting A/A* at English Lit and when I did History earlier in my life I was good at it... I just feel the lack of studying it for 2 years will put me at an disadvantage but then I never studied Psychology before either.... but I would enjoy Psychology more because I'm interested in the subject more. But I know History is praised more than a psychology a-level.

If I do decide on History I would purchase a lot of books and revise on the subjects that I will be studying.... What other subjects are you planning on taking?
Its not like you have to have prior knowledge when moving onto A-level history. As i'm doing history at GCSE, we do a lot about Germany and Britain. However the A-level course that i'm moving on to, is about the super power relations (mid 20th centuary) and the British Raj in India.

So i would advise you to look at the course, see what it is about. Perhaps even look at an exam paper and see if the questions are manageable towards your skill sets. And if you do decide to do history, you'll definitely be taught all the required skills as well as the content.
I think history would be a great subject to take because it combines writing skills with knowlege learning and analytical skills. Although I did history GCSE going into the A level I don't think it is essential as you usually cover a different historical period to GCSE anyway. There's one guy in my class who gets some of the top marks and he didn't do it at GCSE!!!

Thanks

History was my hardest AS Level by a long shot (hence why I dropped it :tongue:) and there were a few in my class who took it without GCSE, but most didn't even finish the year. That said, if it's something you like and are passionate about, you could get a good grade. It just depends on how much you put into it :smile:
Yeah I'm getting A/A* at English Lit and when I did History earlier in my life I was good at it... I just feel the lack of studying it for 2 years will put me at an disadvantage but then I never studied Psychology before either.... but I would enjoy Psychology more because I'm interested in the subject more. But I know History is praised more than a psychology a-level.

If I do decide on History I would purchase a lot of books and revise on the subjects that I will be studying.... What other subjects are you planning on taking?

I'm hoping to do: maths, economics geography and history a levels! God luck with whatever you have decided!

Reply 8
Normally requirements are that you have done GCSE History to do it at A level. A lot of the knowledge probably won't be helpful at a level as you won't be doing the same units, however some will so thats why it's useful to have the background, e.g in my sixth form you do about the holocaust and we have some background of this at GCSE, and also Russia ect.. I would say having the GCSE could be an advantage as it's about writing and your quality of writing, but i'm sure if you are someone who has high grades and aims high, you will do fine. It's a really interesting subject to take :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest