The Student Room Group

A-level maths

Please don't hesitate to post your opinion. I'm sure this thread could be used to help other people in a similar situation. Thanks

I'm currently a Student studying for my GCSE's. For one of my A level options I'm considering taking Maths A-level.

At the moment, I'm working at a B/C grade, but I think this is due to my personal school life as generally I work hard. In my class, because I'm in a lower set it's much harder to concentrate as you get a lot of morons who don't really care about doing well in the subject. Although I'm not Einstein at it, Maths is an interesting subject, to which I could definitely see myself doing.

However, the A-level itself is extremely hard, being at such a low grade of a C- I'm not sure whether I could Cope? -----------If I were to put the effort in additionally, would I be able to do well in it?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No, just do it. Maths is always a winning subject.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by theking1
Was wondering if I should take it.

If I'm at B/C at GCSE level would I struggle too much?

If you are B/C at GCSE you should not take A level Maths.
I got a B in high school and I was fine... Seriously, ignore negative posters. Have. A positive attitude and you WILL DO IT! Trust me.

Reply 4
How confident are you with maths? If u like maths and u are not struggle to understand question it's worse to do alevel maths and give it a try. The grade u get doesnt really mean u are bad at it. But just let u know the gap between a level and gcse maths is quite big. If u can try to read some revision book for as maths see if u can manage to understand half of it. If u can u should have no problem at least in ur first yr. good luck :smile:

Reply 5
Original post by ChemGraduate
I got a B in high school and I was fine... Seriously, ignore negative posters. Have. A positive attitude and you WILL DO IT! Trust me.

Thank you :smile:
Do it if you are willing to put the work in, otherwise don't bother. Don't listen to people who think a B at GCSE actually has any bearing on how you will cope at A level. One of my friends got a C at GCSE and ended up with an A* at A level. Maths A level is 70% hard work 30% intelligence. If you are going to put the work in go for it and on't look back.
Reply 7
Original post by aq923
How confident are you with maths? If u like maths and u are not struggle to understand question it's worse to do alevel maths and give it a try. The grade u get doesnt really mean u are bad at it. But just let u know the gap between a level and gcse maths is quite big. If u can try to read some revision book for as maths see if u can manage to understand half of it. If u can u should have no problem at least in ur first yr. good luck :smile:

NGL, I'm not too confident. 3 months ago I was on a E/D average. It's only in the last 2 months have I started to take interest in the subject getting me a B/C average (mostly C average)- however it's different circumstances considering at AS you study 4 in comparison to 7. idk...:s-smilie:
Original post by Dreamweaver
Do it if you are willing to put the work in, otherwise don't bother. Don't listen to people who think a B at GCSE actually has any bearing on how you will cope at A level. One of my friends got a C at GCSE and ended up with an A* at A level. Maths A level is 70% hard work 30% intelligence. If you are going to put the work in go for it and on't look back.

My point exactly! Just jump right into your maths alevel, you'll find it so useful in everything you do in the future.

Reply 9
Original post by Dreamweaver

Well I'd like to apply for Oxbridge so yes, I'd have to work rigorously hard to achieve an A. The thing is I don't have a 'maths mind set' - is it hard to get into this mind set to maximise potential? And thank you.
Reply 10

If your prepared to put the work in to play catch-up, then go for it. Maths is a bit like standing on the shoulders of giants, but you must learn all the easier stuff first, it's how math is taught, building blocks. Maybe get a "math buddy", who can help you through the maze. Good luck it's a great subject.
Reply 11
i got a B in GCSE and a C at alevel, do if if you want to.
Are you sure, Oxbridge is realistic since your only working at a b/c in maths.
Reply 13
Well I'd like to apply for Oxbridge so yes, I'd have to work rigorously hard to achieve an A. The thing is I don't have a 'maths mind set' - is it hard to get into this mind set to maximise potential? And thank you.

I once read something like, "The hardest thing in maths is adding and subtracting." Honestly, at least at A-level, everything can be learned if you apply yourself.
Original post by Imposition
I once read something like, "The hardest thing in maths is adding and subtracting." Honestly, at least at A-level, everything can be learned if you apply yourself.

My thoughts, exactly.

Reply 15
Original post by chelseafan
Are you sure, Oxbridge is realistic since your only working at a b/c in maths.

Math was the only subject I achieve less than an A average in, so yes it would seem seemingly realistic.
Reply 16
Original post by xxlissaxx
i got a B in GCSE and a C at alevel, do if if you want to.

Really? Did you work much harder at A-level?
Reply 17

A level maths is actually very different to GCSE maths.
I was in the bottom set at my school for GCSE maths (though i am at a grammar school) but I'm on target for an A at A level now. It really depends on whether you put the effort in as a lot of it is just practice and doing past papers. From what I remember of GCSE maths there was a lot of mental arithmetic whereas you have a calculator for 5 out of the 6 exams you do at A level.
TBH i dont think you can know how you're going to find it until you start, you can always just do it for AS and drop it for A2 if you don't like it, C1 and C2 are okay its C4 that can be ridiculously difficult :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Stevo F
A level maths is actually very different to GCSE maths.
I was in the bottom set at my school for GCSE maths (though i am at a grammar school) but I'm on target for an A at A level now. It really depends on whether you put the effort in as a lot of it is just practice and doing past papers. From what I remember of GCSE maths there was a lot of mental arithmetic whereas you have a calculator for 5 out of the 6 exams you do at A level.
TBH i dont think you can know how you're going to find it until you start, you can always just do it for AS and drop it for A2 if you don't like it, C1 and C2 are okay its C4 that can be ridiculously difficult :smile:

What grade did you achieve in bottom set? Cause private school standards are quite different to comphehensive ones. And cheers stevo
Reply 19
A level is different Yes.. but you need to have some sort of maths mindset or you won't get the questions

Quick Reply

Latest