The Student Room Group

University of Portsmouth or University of Hertfordshire

Hi there,

I am a female international student.
I have just got an offer letter by both Universities for this coming September.
My degree of choice was Media Studies and Mass Communication respectively.

But as i have never been to both places before i am currently having a dilemma in choosing which university is more suitable for me.
I was hoping if any of you could be kind enough and explain to me how the both differ to make it easy in my decision making.

I've been pretty stressed out lately as I do not want to regret my decision as it would be a waste of money. So hopefully i could get some new input about both universities as soon as possible.

I have tried doing my research on google, but so far, i have found nothing that could allow me to justify a "pros and cons" table.

Thank you so much. =)
Reply 1
Portsmouth has a better reputation, especially for Media Studies. The graduate prospects are thus higher.
In terms of social life my friends told me it was quite good (lots of socials organized and very active SU).
And, for me at least, another pros: it's near the sea =P . I'm currently studying in Bath and would die to see the sea to clear my mind !

However, I never heard about Hertfordshire so can't help you with the comparison ..
Reply 2
Original post by Ma-Rine
Portsmouth has a better reputation, especially for Media Studies. The graduate prospects are thus higher.
In terms of social life my friends told me it was quite good (lots of socials organized and very active SU).
And, for me at least, another pros: it's near the sea =P . I'm currently studying in Bath and would die to see the sea to clear my mind !

However, I never heard about Hertfordshire so can't help you with the comparison ..

Hi thank you so much for the input! I will definitely take that into consideration =) I heard that portsmouth is also a university city? So therefore there will be more students around?
Reply 3
Original post by KHSM
I heard that portsmouth is also a university city? So therefore there will be more students around?

Portsmouth is quite a small city with a reasonably sized uni, so the proportion of students to non students is possibly a bit higher than in other places. I've heard its good for out-of-uni activities, and it's big on the night life.

I'm going to Portsmouth in September to study Web Technologies. I'm moving very far away from my home in the North so I'm a bit worried about the decision as well! I'm visiting it next Wednesday, the 6th June. If you have any particular questions I'd be happy to try and get them answered for you when I visit.
Reply 4
only 50% get halls at portsmouth
Reply 5
Original post by Geneticgeek
Portsmouth is quite a small city with a reasonably sized uni, so the proportion of students to non students is possibly a bit higher than in other places. I've heard its good for out-of-uni activities, and it's big on the night life.

I'm going to Portsmouth in September to study Web Technologies. I'm moving very far away from my home in the North so I'm a bit worried about the decision as well! I'm visiting it next Wednesday, the 6th June. If you have any particular questions I'd be happy to try and get them answered for you when I visit.

Hi, thank you so much for the reply. I'm glad that somebody is worried too and not just me. I'm so scared that i will not like it there.
That's great that you are able to see the uni before entering. and no, i don't have any particular questions, but i do want your feedback on how your visit went if you don't mind?

Like maybe a description on how the town is like? How the university is like? the atmosphere it gives and the environment etc?

As since i was small, I have always wanted to study in Los Angeles, but due to some personal issues, i had to cancel off that plan and go with a uni in the UK instead. I was hoping portsmouth would be similar as it is near to the sea as well..
Reply 6
Original post by KHSM

Like maybe a description on how the town is like? How the university is like? the atmosphere it gives and the environment etc?

As since i was small, I have always wanted to study in Los Angeles, but due to some personal issues, i had to cancel off that plan and go with a uni in the UK instead. I was hoping portsmouth would be similar as it is near to the sea as well..

I'm very scared, however it will be what we make of it. A friend who started uni 2 years ago has taught me that bad things can bring people together. He said the sense of community in the awful halls was much greater than in his nice ones. They used to have whole building parties where 60-70 of them would all go out together! Just shows how things that appear to be bad at first sight can actually be one of the best things to happen :smile: This theory helps me not worry as much.

The UK has a completely different living style to the USA, I don't think uni here is anywhere near similar to uni in America, though I could be wrong as I've never visited one :smile: I absolutely adore the USA but I still think I'd prefer to study in the UK. We have a better sense of humor :wink:

I already live 10 minutes from the beach, though I'm looking forward to living in Portsmouth. It's also a few degrees warmer there than in the North hehe.

Of course I'll let you know how it goes on Wednesday. I'm there from Tuesday evening so will be able to experience some of the restaurants and shops, I intend to check out the cinema as well :]

I hope you do go, it'd be nice to know somebody before I go! When do you have to make your decision by?
Reply 7
I'm very scared, however it will be what we make of it. A friend who started uni 2 years ago has taught me that bad things can bring people together. He said the sense of community in the awful halls was much greater than in his nice ones. They used to have whole building parties where 60-70 of them would all go out together! Just shows how things that appear to be bad at first sight can actually be one of the best things to happen :smile: This theory helps me not worry as much.

The UK has a completely different living style to the USA, I don't think uni here is anywhere near similar to uni in America, though I could be wrong as I've never visited one :smile: I absolutely adore the USA but I still think I'd prefer to study in the UK. We have a better sense of humor :wink:

I already live 10 minutes from the beach, though I'm looking forward to living in Portsmouth. It's also a few degrees warmer there than in the North hehe.

Of course I'll let you know how it goes on Wednesday. I'm there from Tuesday evening so will be able to experience some of the restaurants and shops, I intend to check out the cinema as well :]

I hope you do go, it'd be nice to know somebody before I go! When do you have to make your decision by?

Yes, what you have said are all indeed very true. It's what we make it that makes it special in the end =)
Thank you, i am definitely more at ease with my decision now. There is a higher chance where i'll be choosing Portsmouth in the end, but i would still love to hear your experience from visiting the place.

How far up north are you from by the way?

Have a safe trip! and thanks again =D
Reply 8
As far north as you can be without being in Scotland hehe :smile: I'm going to confirm my place by Friday I think. Only bit I'm most worried about now is finding somewhere to live :-/
Reply 9
Waiting for the train out of Portsmouth now. Lovely little city, awesome range of shops considering the size of this place. Visited two of the halls, i won't get into them anyway but thought id take a look. They're very small and basic compared to some of the ones I've seen in my city but for living in 37 weeks of the year i suppose you can't complain.
The academic buildings vary from old to brand new but they all seem pretty well kitted out. The library is pretty big too.

Atmosphere is pretty much the same as most southern cities. The people seem nice enough. Might be different in a few months though as most of the students have already left for the summer.

I'll be coming down again in august to do one of their secure a flat weekends where you find people to live with :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I8150
Reply 10
Waiting for the train out of Portsmouth now. Lovely little city, awesome range of shops considering the size of this place. Visited two of the halls, i won't get into them anyway but thought id take a look. They're very small and basic compared to some of the ones I've seen in my city but for living in 37 weeks of the year i suppose you can't complain.
The academic buildings vary from old to brand new but they all seem pretty well kitted out. The library is pretty big too.

Atmosphere is pretty much the same as most southern cities. The people seem nice enough. Might be different in a few months though as most of the students have already left for the summer.

I'll be coming down again in august to do one of their secure a flat weekends where you find people to live with :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I8150

HI! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really appreciate you letting me know all of it =)
Glad to know that it is a lovely little city.
Hope you have had a wonderful time visiting.
I think i'll be accepting my offer at portsmouth. But I will definitely need to stay in one of the hostels. Hope that there are still rooms available.
Any particular living halls you would recommend after visiting?
Do you live in the EU? If you live outside of the UK and the EU you are guaranteed a place in the halls of residence. If you live within the EU I don't think you get any sort of priority so like me, you'd probably have a very slim chance of getting a place. The two we got shown around are as follows:
James Watson - Venue was a bit nicer than the other, this style is like flats, so you have the main door into the flat, then 5 doors after that (4 rooms, each with their own key, and 1 kitchen)
Harry Law - Venue wasn't so nice, this one is set out like a hotel. Your key lets you into your floor ONLY and your kitchen, and your room, but there are quite a few people along the corridor. Although this venue wasn't as visually appealing I think I'd like this one better, it seems like it might have more of a community atmosphere.
All of the rooms I saw were absolutely TINY so I don't think that is really affected by which halls you get, it's just really the layout of the rooms that changes.

I spoke to some previous students and they said the security is really good, so if you have some super rowdy party going on above you at 4am, or some random person who has managed to get onto your floor without being wanted the guys are there 24/7 to help you out.

The only thing is though, I don't think you can actually specify which halls you want. You just have to tick some boxes and they allocate the places to you based on the boxes you tick. The best ones are the "Guildhall" ones as far as I know, so tick Guildhall and "ensuite". I've accepted my place today so will be receiving my accommodation pack soon, though my chances of getting into halls are second to none.

The only 2 reasons I'd prefer halls over private housing is that the halls have second to Military grade broadband, and I think it would be easier to make friends. Other than that I'm quite happy finding my own place, and it seems like the uni are super super helpful when assisting you in finding a place :smile:
I can't wait to go down in August to the BBQ events they have where you meet people to find a house with (even though it costs me a few hundred pounds to visit for a day:[ )!

*Edit - For what reasons are you basing your idea that you definitely need to stay in the halls, if you don't mind me asking?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending