The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hello all,

I have a request. As the exam approaches, it is becoming really difficult to get over my exam nerves and concentrate on the revision. So I would like to revise with everyone who is interested. I am thinking of deciding a particular time at which everyone who is interested could come online together and we could discuss whatever we need to know for each specification point on the GCE Physics Specification. We did this last year on TSR and it helped a lot - I achieved almost full ums so it really did help a lot. In this way, whoever needs to ask doubts could be replied to immediately. Whoever is interested, please state a suitable time (in GMT) until tonight and we can decide a particular time which suits everyone.

This is for anyone who wants to find out what their local time is in GMT: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter/

Good Luck all!
Reply 61
Hello all,

I have a request. As the exam approaches, it is becoming really difficult to get over my exam nerves and concentrate on the revision. So I would like to revise with everyone who is interested. I am thinking of deciding a particular time at which everyone who is interested could come online together and we could discuss whatever we need to know for each specification point on the GCE Physics Specification. We did this last year on TSR and it helped a lot - I achieved almost full ums so it really did help a lot. In this way, whoever needs to ask doubts could be replied to immediately. Whoever is interested, please state a suitable time (in GMT) until tonight and we can decide a particular time which suits everyone.

This is for anyone who wants to find out what their local time is in GMT: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter/

Good Luck!
Reply 62
Hello all,

Good Luck.
Reply 63
Hello all,

Good Luck all
Reply 64
^ Sorry for the irritation caused due to my multiple posts earlier. Only 4 days left for the exam and the January paper was a disaster. The thought of the January paper leaves me horrified. I just want us all to take full advantage of the time available to us in hand. Thanks for reading my post. I hope you guys will join.
Reply 65
does anyone know roughly how much out of 80 is needed for an A???
ive heard the grade boundaries are pretty low for this paper
Original post by Vsfletcher
does anyone know roughly how much out of 80 is needed for an A???
ive heard the grade boundaries are pretty low for this paper

53/80 for an A for Jan 2012
i luv Physics 4 favorite part and managed ace last times paper but if you have any problems luv to help

AND HERE IS last times thread some useful points here and there
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1810200
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Here is the Jan 2012 paper if anyone wants it...
Reply 69
Im doing AS/A2 FMaths in a year, A2 Maths, Geography and this. Physics is by far the one I'm least looking forward to because of the lack of exam style questions =[

I hate that they sometimes want you to state the obvious (e.g. there was a question where you get a mark for saying "the Earth goes around the Sun" ._.) and sometimes they make you do the world's longest calculation for 2 marks.

Darn this paper... by the way the person who posted the notes on the first page, are they all 100% accurate? If so thats a fupping amazing set of notes to have on my phone :L
Reply 70
Original post by dzone25
Im doing AS/A2 FMaths in a year, A2 Maths, Geography and this. Physics is by far the one I'm least looking forward to because of the lack of exam style questions =[

I hate that they sometimes want you to state the obvious (e.g. there was a question where you get a mark for saying "the Earth goes around the Sun" ._.) and sometimes they make you do the world's longest calculation for 2 marks.

Darn this paper... by the way the person who posted the notes on the first page, are they all 100% accurate? If so thats a fupping amazing set of notes to have on my phone :L

OMG. I knoww! Edexcel is sooooooo *****
Haaha
Yupp, the notes are really greatt
Reply 71
Original post by d_94
OMG. I knoww! Edexcel is sooooooo *****
Haaha
Yupp, the notes are really greatt

The notes are seriously good, guess thats my bedtime "phone reading" sorted instead of countless E-books and Youtube vids xD
Original post by radenoactive
53/80 for an A for Jan 2012

soz to correct you and i know its not much different but it was 51 for an A for Jan 2012, 56 for an a* :smile:
anyone know how much we're supposed to know from unit 1, since they include 'synoptic' questions? eg in jan 2011, there was a question where u had to refer to the photoelectric effect which was in unit 1 last year :s-smilie:
Reply 74
Original post by Estelle123
anyone know how much we're supposed to know from unit 1, since they include 'synoptic' questions? eg in jan 2011, there was a question where u had to refer to the photoelectric effect which was in unit 1 last year :s-smilie:

Pretty sure for Unit 4 its nothing major, just the main concepts and a few formulas (most are given in the back).

For Unit 5 I find myself needing to remember a whole bunch of :poo: but still not THAT much, just main concepts and formulas (nothing in-depth).
Original post by dzone25
Pretty sure for Unit 4 its nothing major, just the main concepts and a few formulas (most are given in the back).

For Unit 5 I find myself needing to remember a whole bunch of :poo: but still not THAT much, just main concepts and formulas (nothing in-depth).

yhh ok and aha tell me about it! but cool thankss :smile:
Reply 76
Jan 2012 question 5 (multiple choice), I have noticed is about current in motors.
This isn't really on the specification so I thought I would write a bit about it here to explain what happens. (And why the answer is D :wink:

When a motor is started, it draws several times its full load current while starting. This is called an "inrush current". This also occurs in transformers. This happens in motors because whilst the rotor is stationary, the current builds up quickly, only limited by the resistance of the rotor. Once the rotor begins to rotate, an emf is induced, which is a "counter emf" which opposes the motion of the current it was produced by. This causes the current to drop exponentially. The time constant for the rise in current is different to the fall in current. The current rises faster than it falls to its full load current.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter_emf
Reply 77
Original post by Estelle123

Definitely revise the electromagnetic spectrum for unit 5.
Reply 78
Original post by Ollinator
Here is the Jan 2012 paper if anyone wants it...

do you have the mark scheme???
Reply 79
Original post by Vsfletcher
do you have the mark scheme???

Here it is :]

Latest