The Student Room Group

What should I do? Is it worth it??

I have A question that seems unanswered everywhere so I was wondering if anyone here could enlighten me?

As I'm sure your all aware, medicine at birmingham is known for it's tough entry requirements at gcse of 7A*.and that is the bare minimum not the typical offer or average which is even more daunting.

My question is that I hope to achieve 6/7A* at gcse. I have noticed for many of my subject I have self taught the whole 2 year corse to myself in a matter of days and in some subjects gone from a C grade to A*. This why I was wondering next year when I'm in year 12 would I be able or allowed to take gcses to get the 7A* requirement. I was thinking business studies as I will be doing economics for a-level and I know it's an easy A*. Even though I sit it a year later will it still be accepted by unis? Or will they know? I think it is a good idea because it gets me the grades and isn't too much hassle. it's worth the extra revision I think and won't jeopardise my a level results as it is only a few days of revision realistically

Also do unis realise that some gcses are a lot harder than others e.g I took economics which is a solid subject and virtually impossible to get an A* in whereas citizenship, imedia, business studies are soo easy that it is laughable. Do some gcses hold more value ect. What are peoples thoughts?
Thanks
Reply 1
Universities tend to focus more on what A level grades you achieve so unless you fail one of the core subjects such as maths or english, you will not have the option
to resit GCSE's.
For medicine applications, especially tough medical schools such as Birmingham do not look favourably on doing or retaking exams at different times. Probably not recommended and just focus on your alevels so you don't mess them up. If you do mess them up, your choice of medical school is severely limited, good luck! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Original post by asphodel77
For medicine applications, especially tough medical schools such as Birmingham do not look favourably on doing or retaking exams at different times. Probably not recommended and just focus on your alevels so you don't mess them up. If you do mess them up, your choice of medical school is severely limited, good luck! :smile:

He isn't retaking an exam if I'm right? He's just sitting new GCSEs.

And why not?! I'm sitting 2 new GCSEs for Yr 12.
A lot of universities say the exams have to be taken at the correct time unless there were special circumstances . And plus - most just focus on alevel results and personal statements and other qualifications then gcses last, that's all .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending