The Student Room Group

How many years of funding?

My understanding is SFE will fund the length of your course + 1 year.

Is this correct?

I am part way through a 6 year course. This is my first degree.

I ask because when I applied for the next year of my course online, it says I am entitled to £0 tuition fee loan and £4000 odd maintenance loan. I need a tuition fee loan!
Reply 1
Student finance don't give X amount of years funding.

It is based on a formula, which is:

New course length + 1 year - previous HE study

Previous study is counted regardless how that study was financed.

Can I ask what course it is that makes it 6 years long, and how many years you have spent in HE?
Reply 2
Original post by Shani
Student finance don't give X amount of years funding.

It is based on a formula, which is:

New course length + 1 year - previous HE study

Previous study is counted regardless how that study was financed.

Can I ask what course it is that makes it 6 years long, and how many years you have spent in HE?

Medicine.
Reply 3
I'm also interested in how funding works for medicine.

If I did one year of an undergraduate degree and then started a 5 year medicine degree would I get funding for all years?
Reply 4
Original post by No Future
Medicine.

Aren't medicine degrees usually 5 years max?

Did you study anything before you started medicine? Even if only 1 day on the course?
Reply 5
Original post by Mr. Nobody
I'm also interested in how funding works for medicine.

If I did one year of an undergraduate degree and then started a 5 year medicine degree would I get funding for all years?

Yes, under those circumstances you should get full funding for the duration of a new course.

See the formula I posted above.
Reply 6
Original post by Shani
Aren't medicine degrees usually 5 years max?

Did you study anything before you started medicine? Even if only 1 day on the course?

No.

Normal Medicine courses are 5 or 6 years long.

Postgrad Medicine is 4 years.

I have never been in higher education prior to starting this course
that is strange, you should be entitled to tuition loan for all your years, maybe give them a call?
Reply 8
No.

Normal Medicine courses are 5 or 6 years long.

Postgrad Medicine is 4 years.

I have never been in higher education prior to starting this course

In which case you should be entitled to full funding for the duration of your course, as per the formula. It is probably best to call SF to ask what's gone wrong - unless you're at the part of your course where the NHS pay your tuition fees? (you didn't state which year you were going into).
Reply 9
Original post by Shani
In which case you should be entitled to full funding for the duration of your course, as per the formula. It is probably best to call SF to ask what's gone wrong - unless you're at the part of your course where the NHS pay your tuition fees? (you didn't state which year you were going into).

I'm not at the stage when I can get NHS bursary yet
Reply 10
I'm not at the stage when I can get NHS bursary yet

I am totally stumped as to why it says you're not allowed a tuition fee loan then, sorry. If I haven't missed or overlooked anything, you should get it. Perhaps it's some systems glitch - it's the only thing I can think of. Contacting SF would be the only way to know for sure unfortunately.
Reply 11
ok so i was on a previous course for 2yrs but i didnt apply for the loans, only the grant. now i have just started a new 3yr course so how many years of student finance am i entitled to, not including the grant?

Quick Reply

Latest