The Student Room Group

question about funding

Imagine the scenario :

somebody started a BA French/TESOL course, which is a 4 year course, but only did 1 year of that, then ditched that course.

They then started a new course - BA Classics (which is a 3 year course). They did 1 full year of that, and then only 2 months of the second year before dropping out of uni entirely.

If they wanted to go back to uni to finish the BA Classics course, would it be possible for them to be funded for that (so essentially to finish the 2nd year - which would mean starting second year from scratch I suppose) and do the third year. Or would they not have enough funding left to cover that?

I don't know whether the fact that they started the second year means that they used up the entirety of their funding for that year, or not.
Reply 1
Normally, you wouldn't get funding.

However, didn't you drop out once because you were pregnant? This may count as "compelling personal reasons" which means that year is ignored, so you would be eligible for funding.
Original post by Juno
Normally, you wouldn't get funding.

However, didn't you drop out once because you were pregnant? This may count as "compelling personal reasons" which means that year is ignored, so you would be eligible for funding.

I changed courses because I couldn't practically spend a year in France with a baby (which is what you have to do as part of the French course), so that was the reason for switching to Classics.

Then I ultimately dropped out of the 2nd year of Classics, because at that point I was struggling juggling a 2 year old, and a very VERY VERY VERY clingy still-breastfeeding 13 month old that screamed the place down whenever I went to lectures. It was starting to be a nightmare.

However now my eldest two are in school, and my youngest is starting nursery in January. I'm still currently my husband's carer, but he's regaining mobility as he loses his weight, so I'm hoping that in a year or so he might be mobile enough that he can find a job, and I'd love to finish my degree then.

But obviously if I can't get any funding there's no way in hell I can afford to pay the tuition fees.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I changed courses because I couldn't practically spend a year in France with a baby (which is what you have to do as part of the French course), so that was the reason for switching to Classics.

Then I ultimately dropped out of the 2nd year of Classics, because at that point I was struggling juggling a 2 year old, and a very VERY VERY VERY still-breastfeeding 13 month old that screamed the place down whenever I went to lectures. It was starting to be a nightmare.

However now my eldest two are in school, and my youngest is starting nursery in January. I'm still currently my husband's carer, but he's regaining mobility as he loses his weight, so I'm hoping that in a year or so he might be mobile enough that he can find a job, and I'd love to finish my degree then.

But obviously if I can't get any funding there's no way in hell I can afford to pay the tuition fees.

To anyone reading it, that's clearly compelling personal reasons, but I'm not sure if it would count to the SLC. It would be more handy if you'd dropped out due to actually being pregnant.

You'd need to either give them a call and see if you can get any sense out of them - and if so, note the date, time and name of person you spoke to because they will deny it later, or actually apply for finance and see if they accept your reasons.
Original post by Juno
To anyone reading it, that's clearly compelling personal reasons, but I'm not sure if it would count to the SLC. It would be more handy if you'd dropped out due to actually being pregnant.

You'd need to either give them a call and see if you can get any sense out of them - and if so, note the date, time and name of person you spoke to because they will deny it later, or actually apply for finance and see if they accept your reasons.

thanks. I can but try I suppose.
Reply 5
Further to what Juno has said - you would need to apply for CPR for the 2nd year of your classics course. Without this, even though you were only there a short while, it will count as a year used up for SF purposes.

This would leave you with 3 years previous study, with 2 years left to study on a 3 year course.

If you are successful in claiming CPR you should get full funding for years 2 and 3.

It may be a struggle for you though. Do you by any chance have a health visitor or GP who may back you up? That would really help your case.

Also, even if you're not panning on going to uni straight away I would suggest you apply for CPR ASAP. And if you do call SF, *sometimes* you need to take what they say with a pinch of salt - not everyone there knows the regulations as they should :smile:
Original post by Shani
Further to what Juno has said - you would need to apply for CPR for the 2nd year of your classics course. Without this, even though you were only there a short while, it will count as a year used up for SF purposes.

This would leave you with 3 years previous study, with 2 years left to study on a 3 year course.

If you are successful in claiming CPR you should get full funding for years 2 and 3.

It may be a struggle for you though. Do you by any chance have a health visitor or GP who may back you up? That would really help your case.

Also, even if you're not panning on going to uni straight away I would suggest you apply for CPR ASAP. And if you do call SF, *sometimes* you need to take what they say with a pinch of salt - not everyone there knows the regulations as they should :smile:

I don't have a health visitor that could back me up no, but the head of the Classics department at the uni was my personal tutor at the time, and he was the one that I emailed about all my problems whilst I was there. I still have copies of the emails, and he would back me up I'm sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending