The Student Room Group

reapplying for student finance having dropped out does my art foundation year count?

I did an art foundation aged 18 and went on to university where I dropped out at christmas of the first year. I have been accepted at a different university to start again. I have applied for student finance and they have just come back to me saying im not entitled to it for my first year. They say it is because i did an art foundation and have said that as my course is four years i would ordinarily be entitled to up to 5 years finance however they say because i did my art foundation (which is further education not higher education) and started and dropped out of my first year, they will only finance 3 years - and i would have to pay for the first year.
i didn't think my art foundation counted could someone confirm this?
also if it does count, my third year of the course will be a placement year for which fees shouldnt be payable to the uni so could i not ask them to fund my first year instead of the third?

thanks,
Emma :smile: xx:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Even if your art foundation year counts (which I think it does) you still should be able to get full funding for the duration of a new course. You need to appeal this decision.

Unfortunately you cannot ask them to fund specific years - entitlement is given from the last year first. However, as I said, with only one year previous study the whole duration of another course should be funded.
Reply 2
sorry could u just explain how i can still get full funding if the art foundation does count as i had started and then dropped out of first year uni and ive been told that counts aswell?
also could you tell me the best person/way to appeal to?

thanks for your help
Reply 3
Original post by emma_h
sorry could u just explain how i can still get full funding if the art foundation does count as i had started and then dropped out of first year uni and ive been told that counts aswell?
also could you tell me the best person/way to appeal to?

thanks for your help

Right, I missed the bit where you also went into another year and dropped out.

Foundation years do always count towards entitlement unfortunately.

This would then mean you have 2 years previous study, and you will get a maintenance loan only for the first year of a new course, having to pay the tuition yourself. You will then get full funding for the rest of the duration of the course.

It is not possible to change which years you get the funding at all.
Reply 4
I thought it was only 4 years of finance you were entitled to? That would explain why they're saying you aren't entitled to it first year.
Reply 5
Original post by Cll_ws
I thought it was only 4 years of finance you were entitled to? That would explain why they're saying you aren't entitled to it first year.

This is a common misconception, because normally courses are 3 years long.

Funding is given based on a formula, which is:

New course length + 1 year - previous study

The formula is especially important to use when dealing with courses such as combined masters, degrees with foundation years combined, or longer courses such as dentistry and medicine.

It allows for students to have funding for the duration of their course, plus one "gift year", should they wish to re-take etc.
Reply 6
Original post by emma_h
I did an art foundation aged 18 and went on to university where I dropped out at christmas of the first year. I have been accepted at a different university to start again. I have applied for student finance and they have just come back to me saying im not entitled to it for my first year. They say it is because i did an art foundation and have said that as my course is four years i would ordinarily be entitled to up to 5 years finance however they say because i did my art foundation (which is further education not higher education) and started and dropped out of my first year, they will only finance 3 years - and i would have to pay for the first year.
i didn't think my art foundation counted could someone confirm this?
also if it does count, my third year of the course will be a placement year for which fees shouldnt be payable to the uni so could i not ask them to fund my first year instead of the third?

thanks,
Emma :smile: xx:s-smilie:

I'm a bit unhelpful with the whole finances but do u recommend a foundation in art? I want to go into fashion industry & my teachers recommend do a year foundation first but i'm insure whether it's a waste if time, I'd have to pay train fares for a year. The course at uni, well my number 1 is a 4 yr sandwich degree

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by Shani
This is a common misconception, because normally courses are 3 years long.

Funding is given based on a formula, which is:

New course length + 1 year - previous study

The formula is especially important to use when dealing with courses such as combined masters, degrees with foundation years combined, or longer courses such as dentistry and medicine.

It allows for students to have funding for the duration of their course, plus one "gift year", should they wish to re-take etc.

Ah okay, fair enough.
I did an Art Foundation, only at college so it was free. If you received funding for the foundation then I imagine it would count, especially if you got a full maintenance loan and everything. But I guess it'd be best to double check that with them.
Reply 8
okay I failed my course first year and changed onto another course which was a four year course which in the third year I would doing a placement, I am now going into second year of this course in September and I am considering doing a placement but I am not if this will effect my funding as to wether I would receive funding in my 4 year
Original post by dnyande
okay I failed my course first year and changed onto another course which was a four year course which in the third year I would doing a placement, I am now going into second year of this course in September and I am considering doing a placement but I am not if this will effect my funding as to wether I would receive funding in my 4 year

No, leaving for a placement then coming back doesn't count as starting a new course. You should be entitled to reduced rate tuition fee loan for your placement year, also.
Reply 10
sorry I think you misunderstood my question so basically

I started a BSc Psychology degree when I first attended uni in 2013 September, and realised very early indeed it wasn't for me. I tried to change degrees but the uni cited a deadline from 2 days prior (frustrating as I had been trying to get a response for a week by that point). So as to be able to live and stay in my house with my partner and friends, I carried on attending on the course I hated.

The following 2014 september I moved across to my information technology & business sandwich degree, and passed first year with no issues. And now I am moving into my second year this September 2015 and I am considering doing a placement in my third year and I am worried that this may take up my last year of funding as, you're only aloud 4 years of funding
to recap
yr 1 - psych, dropped course

yr 1 repeat - information technology and business passed with high 2:1

yr 2 - information technology and business lvl 2 going into my second year for this course

yr 3- I want to do a placement

yr 4- this is my final year that graduate but I am scared I may not receive funding because I will have used up my four years worth of funding by the time i finish my placement

So my overall question does the rule of gift year apply in this case, due to the fact that considering my previous years I will be using 5 years of funding but to my knowledge you're only entitled to 4 and is this true
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dnyande
sorry I think you misunderstood my question so basically

I started a BSc Psychology degree when I first attended uni in 2013 September, and realised very early indeed it wasn't for me. I tried to change degrees but the uni cited a deadline from 2 days prior (frustrating as I had been trying to get a response for a week by that point). So as to be able to live and stay in my house with my partner and friends, I carried on attending on the course I hated.

The following 2014 september I moved across to my information technology & business sandwich degree, and passed first year with no issues. And now I am moving into my second year this September 2015 and I am considering doing a placement in my third year and I am worried that this may take up my last year of funding as, you're only aloud 4 years of funding
to recap
yr 1 - psych, dropped course

yr 1 repeat - information technology and business passed with high 2:1

yr 2 - information technology and business lvl 2 going into my second year for this course

yr 3- I want to do a placement

yr 4- this is my final year that graduate but I am scared I may not receive funding because I will have used up my four years worth of funding by the time i finish my placement

So my overall question does the rule of gift year apply in this case, due to the fact that considering my previous years I will be using 5 years of funding but to my knowledge you're only entitled to 4 and is this true

The rule isn't four years, it's length of course + gift year - previous study.

A sandwich course is 4 years long, so you are entitled to 4 + 1 - 1 = 4 years of funding on your sandwich course. Your sandwich year isn't a gift year, it's integral to the course. You will get placement funding in your 3rd year. If you were ineligible for any years, they would have taken the finance off the start of your course, anyway, not the end.

Quick Reply

Latest