The Student Room Group

Social smoking

Hi
I was just wondering what the health and fitness implications are of 'social smoking'.
I'm only talking one maybe two cigarettes every few weeks when I drink, and the likelihood of becoming a regular smoker.
I want to know how much it affects your breathing, lungs and all the other stuff it does to you.
Cheers
Anon
Reply 1
I smoke socially every now and again. Having said that, I have some friends who started out as 'social smokers' and have now become addicted. As for the chances of becoming addicted yourself, it ranges from person to person. Some people are hooked after their first cigarette, others can smoke much more without having any cravings. So my advice is be careful - no one is going to judge you if you don't want to light up. :smile:
It's different for every person, so its hard to say the effects.

I was a social smoker too for a few years which started just by having one or two whenever I drank, then that turned into 5 when I drank. Then I could have 10 when I drank, then I'd start smoking at school and sometimes even at home. I managed to stop when I was about 18 and now I very rarely get any cravings.
But as the above poster said, some people don't get many cravings while others can't stop after their first cigarette.

Having one every now and then probably won't harm you too much but can cause a fair bit of damage if your habit escalates.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
I was just wondering what the health and fitness implications are of 'social smoking'.
I'm only talking one maybe two cigarettes every few weeks when I drink, and the likelihood of becoming a regular smoker.
I want to know how much it affects your breathing, lungs and all the other stuff it does to you.
Cheers
Anon

Side effects from that amount? Barely.

Just bear in mind that that's how a lot of smokers start. :smile:
Reply 4
Whta's so "social" about smoking anyway?
Original post by Spaz Man
Whta's so "social" about smoking anyway?

The fact that its a good opportunity to start a convo with the many people already outside with a simple "got a lighter?"

or that if all your friends smoke and go outside for a fag that you are then left inside on your own?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
Cheers
Anon

It's all completely and uttery dependent on you.

Some people can some 20 a day and not be addictied, ie stop withing 24hours completely.

Some people can smoke 20 a day for 40 years and die healthy at eh age of 80.

Others wll have a couple of cigs and be in need of more and some will smoke 1 a day for 2 years and deveop lung cancer.

It all depends on you.
Reply 7
Each cigarette you have will do you harm.
Smoking starts from social smoking, not like people start by smoking a packet a day.
Stop now before you're hooked, bad for health and $.
Reply 8
Anyhow, a cigarette after a meal is always good. (If you're a smoker)
Reply 9
It depends on the person. I used to smoke about 5 a day for about 2 months, then realised how much money I was spending and just stopped, lol. On the other hand, a friend was telling me how he started out social smoking, like once a week, which slowly moved to once a day, then 2 a day and 5 a day and so on, to the point now where he has to have a fag in the morning to start his day.

Be careful is what I'm saying, smoking is definitely not good and tbh with you, just don't smoke at all to prevent any risk. It's not even worth it, social smoking gets boring.
Reply 10
There is no such thing as social smoking. You're either a smoker, or you're not. Of course, people smoke in varying degrees, but your smoking is detrimental regardless (although it may not seem so atm).

My smoking started from a party, then it grew into regular smoking, which is what a lot of 'social smokers' run the risk of. I used to smoke a lot, but I've quit for coming up to 2 months now.

The social smoking will accumulate, and you won't really notice any health changes until your breathing becomes a bit dodgier, you seem to get ill (colds etc) more often that you used to, and if you run for a bit you will probably find you will be out of breath quicker.

Tbh, dabbling in it won't really impact on your health that much, but you tell yourself that you won't smoke regularly, and you seem to slip into it gradually.
Reply 11
Original post by Mr.Zen
There is no such thing as social smoking. You're either a smoker, or you're not. Of course, people smoke in varying degrees, but your smoking is detrimental regardless (although it may not seem so atm).

My smoking started from a party, then it grew into regular smoking, which is what a lot of 'social smokers' run the risk of. I used to smoke a lot, but I've quit for coming up to 2 months now.

The social smoking will accumulate, and you won't really notice any health changes until your breathing becomes a bit dodgier, you seem to get ill (colds etc) more often that you used to, and if you run for a bit you will probably find you will be out of breath quicker.

Tbh, dabbling in it won't really impact on your health that much, but you tell yourself that you won't smoke regularly, and you seem to slip into it gradually.

Disagree. 'Any smoking makes you a smoker'.

It's like saying any drinking makes you a drinker. There is a clear implication of both words, that being that you do it regularly such that it is more than a habit.

I smoke socially, and sometimes when I just feel like a smoke. That can mean I smoke 20 a week, or smoke nothing for 3 weeks. That doesn't really classify as a 'smoker' to me, anymore than someone who has a few drinks once or twice a month makes them a 'drinker' or someone who occasionally jogs a 'runner'.
Reply 12
My advice is that if you are a social smoker, stop. I'm not saying "you'll definately become a full-time smoker" because you might not. However, I started socially smoking when I was 16, started doing 20 a day when I was 17 and am now 21 and struggling to stop. Smoking isn't as social anymore because more and more people are realising that it is a disgusting habbit and to be honest you shouldn't need to smoke to be social.
Reply 13
Original post by Steevee
Disagree. 'Any smoking makes you a smoker'.

It's like saying any drinking makes you a drinker. There is a clear implication of both words, that being that you do it regularly such that it is more than a habit.

I smoke socially, and sometimes when I just feel like a smoke. That can mean I smoke 20 a week, or smoke nothing for 3 weeks. That doesn't really classify as a 'smoker' to me, anymore than someone who has a few drinks once or twice a month makes them a 'drinker' or someone who occasionally jogs a 'runner'.

I see what you mean, what you are saying is that the degree to which you indulge in something is what determines if you are a part of that activity. How I see it though, is if you smoke, then you are a smoker.

For instance, you could smoke 20 a week, then smoke nothing for 3 weeks, but if you have no intention of quitting it completely, then you are a smoker, same with being a drinker.

I have quit drinking/smoking for 49 days now, and have no intention of doing it again, so right now, I am a non smoker/drinker. If I pick up those activities again though, then I will be.
Reply 14
"Social smoking" is a surefire route to addiction. Tobacco = :yucky:
james-dean.jpg

:cool:
Reply 16
I started smoking as a thing I only did whilst drinking nearly 4 years ago. Now I smoke daily and even when I try to stop, if I have the slightest thing to drink I lose all will power.
I decided last week the only way to stop is to give up alcohol as well.

Theoretically, as soon as you start smoking it has an effect on your body. Your lungs will take a day to fully recover or there about. So its clear that damage is being done straight away.
I'd suggest staying away from smoking in general to make certain you don't become a full time smoker. Even if you enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest