The Student Room Group

What happens if i go over the Student Finance deadline?

Unless I get my parent to do it for me, I want to get my own bank account and to do that I will need proof of identity like passport or provisional licence. I've chosen the option to do provisional licence but it happens that my birth certificate is invalid and I don't have any other one and i'm stuck in this situation.

I have only a few days left until the deadline, and im wondering if it is possible to give SFE an excuse to go over the deadline because my provisional licence application is taking longer than expected (tbh I don't know why my dumb parents didn't do this a year ago).
Firstly it's not your parents fault that you didn't apply for your license, once you are old enough to have one you are old enough to apply for it yourself :wink:

They will still process the application after the 31st, they just won't guarantee your application will be ready on time. Besides you don't actually need your bank account just yet, apply for finance and once your bank account is ready you can add it to the SF.
Reply 2
Original post by nmr1991
Unless I get my parent to do it for me, I want to get my own bank account and to do that I will need proof of identity like passport or provisional licence. I've chosen the option to do provisional licence but it happens that my birth certificate is invalid and I don't have any other one and i'm stuck in this situation.

I have only a few days left until the deadline, and im wondering if it is possible to give SFE an excuse to go over the deadline because my provisional licence application is taking longer than expected (tbh I don't know why my dumb parents didn't do this a year ago).

the above poster is right - you should have applied for your provisional license, it has nothing to do with your parents.

if you phone them, they will probably let you change it so you can send in your passport instead.

you don't need any bank details entered to apply for student finance. you can change/update bits of your application after you've sent it. you could just do that now.

they don't care about excuses - that won't make any difference to them. you've been able to apply for 6 months! if you go over the deadline, it doesn't mean you won't get any finance, it just means there's a possibility it might come a bit late. that could make your first couple of weeks a bit hard but you can probably explain it to your uni when you get there and it'll be fine. you'll also have your bank overdraft to pay any immediate costs.

just finish your application asap - you don't need to complete the banking stuff.
Reply 3
I have submitted the application and sorted out the bank details etc. I haven't got a passport so I have to give my birth certificate in to confirm my identity, does the Birth/Adoption Certification Application Form have to be completed and sent to student finance before the deadline or am I all safe with the application and on time?
Reply 4
i sent mine off on the 29th, but i had complications with my dad's online form, so i asked them to mail it to me and they didn't, so i just printed out a form online yesterday, because i didn't know how to print it off/what page to go on, will i still be entitled to it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending