The Student Room Group

why are so many black people underachieving

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Marshall
n a college with a majority of Asian and black people the sciences and maths are dominated by Asian and white people, when surely there should be equal representation in all subjects?

The only reason why this '' black people underachieving thing'' is done, is because of the nieghbours they live in. Of today's white british children, half of them are not interested in studying, they focus more on family issues more than studying, and that encourages the black children at those schools to become like the white children. State Schools are a perfect example of it.

Where do you get that statement from?
Original post by Blob2491
That's absolute rubbish and stereotyping similar to saying Asians have higher IQ's. I know loads of smart and dumb blacks and Asians, and out of these people, the blacks are generally the higher achievers.

Asians are far much better.
Original post by im so academic
Where do you get that statement from?

I wrote it myself. Most british white children in state schools are simply not interested in studying.
I wrote it myself. Most british white children in state schools are simply not interested in studying.

Which is nonsense.
Excuse me? Academic achievement has nothing to do with race. How dare you criticise me on race when you are saying that Indian/Chinese students are more hardworking than white students. What bull****.

Of course it has! Then what are you saying, What my uncle's achieved is false then? You think getting 34 doctorates is so easy to get?? You think China is a country that can beaten? They have the worlds largest army, just to say. We are more hardworking then white students, time you accepted that. In the early 19-18th cenutry, it was generally accepted that the white races ruled over lesser races, which would be us.:mad:
(edited 11 years ago)
Which is nonsense.

Nonsense? I'm currently in a state school , and back where they are, most of the white children laugh, they are simply not interested, and they disrupt the classes often, not to mention some poor teachers. And I'm not saying lies, I am saying what I have seen through my eyes. You can deny it all you want, but you know what I'm saying, but since you're so great, you don't wanna admit it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Seriously some of the stuff I'm reading here is totally ridiculous and ludicrous, obviously said by obnoxious people. How can you say that black people have less intellect, seriously where the heck did you hear this and is it a proven fact?!!!!....
Atleast the majority of people are talking sense, it is about yourself and your own motivation to succeed in life. People are just so stupid by not taking the opportunity when it is presented to them.

Black people aren't dumb its just because of the lack of educational opportunities they received when children. 'm black and I can only speak for Zimbabweans here when I say most grown-ups can only get to high school because thy can not afford to go through higher education. If you didn't know in all developing countries in Africa you have to pay school fees for your children to go to school. Even middle class people have limits, for example my grandmother had 11 children, how the hell can you afford to take all of them through education?!
Having said that my mother only got educated until GCSEs (O levels back then) yet she had the motivation and pit in the hard work to get into medical school and qualify as a nurse. Obviously if she had had the rightful education who knows she might have become a doctor.The point is that there are various reasons why people under-achieve but it certainly is not because their are black and thus automatically dumb!!!

No way has it been scientifically proven that there is a mutual correlation between intellect and skin colour!!!!

Oh and I'm currently doing my alevels to get to uni to study accountancy....doesn't seem like a dumb job to me :hmmm:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Because they live in a racist society, I'm glad the OP has brought this to our attention and we should all ask what changes we should make to change the situation.
Of course it has! Then what are you saying, What my uncle's achieved is false then? You think getting 34 doctorates is so easy to get?? We are more hardworking then white students, time you accepted that. In the early 19-18th cenutry, it was generally accepted that the white races ruled over lesser races, which would be us.:mad:

Your uncle did not achieve 34 doctorates. And many white British students are hard-working and intelligent.
Some wise words from Shakespeare

Nonsense? I'm currently in a state school , and back where they are, most of the white children laugh, they are simply not interested, and they disrupt the classes often, not to mention some poor teachers. And I'm not saying lies, I am saying what I have seen through my eyes. You can deny it all you want, but you know what I'm saying, but since you're so great, you don't wanna admit it.

That doesn't mean all white British children are like that. What about those educated at top grammar/private schools?
Original post by ednut

im not a racist as i am a black man myself, also unemployed.
discuss.......

hmmm
Original post by 06dimairhop
Seriously some of the stuff I'm reading here is totally ridiculous and ludicrous, obviously said by obnoxious people. How can you say that black people have less intellect, seriously where the heck did you hear this and is it a proven fact?!!!!....
Atleast the majority of people are talking sense, it is about yourself and your own motivation to succeed in life. People are just so stupid by not taking the opportunity when it is presented to them.

Black people aren't dumb its just because of the lack of educational opportunities they received when children. 'm black and I can only speak for Zimbabweans here when I say most grown-ups can only get to high school because thy can not afford to go through higher education. If you didn't know in all developing countries in Africa you have to pay school fees for your children to go to school. Even middle class people have limits, for example my grandmother had 11 children, how the hell can you afford to take all of them through education?!
Having said that my mother only got educated until GCSEs (O levels back then) yet she had the motivation and pit in the hard work to get into medical school and qualify as a nurse. Obviously if she had had the rightful education who knows she might have become a doctor.The point is that there are various reasons why people under-achieve but it certainly is not because their are black and thus automatically dumb!!!

No way has it been scientifically proven that there is a mutual correlation between intellect and skin colour!!!!

Oh and I'm currently doing my alevels to get to uni to study accountancy....doesn't seem like a dumb job to me :hmmm:

I agree, just look at the Blacks in Amercia! They have a black president, the black people are now quite a majority and they mostly have lots of things with them, Movies, everything, I mean Will Smith is black and yet he's so popular. So really, what most of the people said here is racist talk
That doesn't mean all white British children are like that. What about those educated at top grammar/private schools?

Now they're properly educated. But there's so many state schools that have poorly educated children. That goes for most public white british children.
Reply 35
Same reason why people from other races underachieve.

They don't work hard enough.

It's nothing to do with race but attitude.

Exactly. This whole thing is a massive cycle.

In the past, there was no mechanism for educating oneself properly if you were a poorer person. However, it is now much easier for people to achieve, and yet they don't.

I mean, even fairly low-caste, poor Indians and Chinese have become prominent - notably in academia and business in Western countries, while black people have basically stayed as they are. This is because of a difference in attitude, part of which is probably transferred from the native countries. In India and China, it is essentially 'work hard or end up in the slums', and that attitude is transferred. However, Africans and Afro-Carribeans do not really have a similar attitude, despite their similarly poor situation.

Black people in general (particularly children) are also much more interested in distancing themselves off from the society they live in than the high-achieving Indians and Chinese. Both Indians and Chinese are very good at retaining and celebrating their native cultures, but acknowledge that they should integrate themselves into the culture that they are now a part of (hence why you see so many 'Jenny Chang's and 'Rob Patel's, but not so many 'David Odoimosu's).
Original post by 06dimairhop

+1 rep
gangsta rap street culture.
Your uncle did not achieve 34 doctorates. And many white British students are hard-working and intelligent.

How dare you say my uncle did not achieve those 34 doctorates? My Uncle did achieve it through his hard work! over white racist superior thinker. So now you will claim that white students are best and oppress Asian students is it? So you're gonna start doing what they used to do too blacks students in Amercia in the 60s? White British Students are half hearted workers. Did yuou achieve 34 docterates? Tell me? Its no easy thing to get at!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by ednut
why is it that there very few black people in higher education in london, ive been to quite a few open days to universitys and was surprised to see a few or even no black people in these institutions even in the jobs market you wont see many black people working in shops either, while if you were to go to the likes of brixton and lougborough you'll see pockets of the black community where they would stick together.
im not a racist as i am a black man myself, also unemployed.

discuss.......

I am black, black british and im not failing bought up from a poor background. yet im at uni a good uni doing civil engineering. Im getting good grades, 80% average, in my third year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending