The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do in life

I'm studying biology, chemistry, physics and psychology at AS. The reasons are because I assumed the sciences would be the most useful and lead to a diverse choice of degrees and psychology because I thought it'd be interesting.

Now a year into studying these and I'm wondering if I made a mistake. It's hard to explain but basically I chose science courses because I was confident in them. That's because at GCSE I got 3 As in science during the units so I KNEW I was good at them. The other subjects I didn't do unit exams for so I didn't truely know if I was good at them. The confidence I felt in science lead to me actually liking them. However, come GCSE results day and I find out I got an A in everything else, too. So I don't know which area of academia I'm best at and that's why I'm so confused.

I've come to realise that I don't really like science. I HATE lab work and I've realised that most science degrees lead to work in a lab which I can't do. However, I like finding out about how our bodies work and just about the different processes that occur in the World and I find them fascinating. I also love English. I love writing descriptions of things and interpreting what authors mean on a deeper level. I also love Psychology and finding out why people behave certain ways and I particularly like evolutionary psychology.

So, now I don't know what to do. I feel like I've made a huge mistake in choosing science subjects when I'm starting to miss writing descriptive writing and analysing poems and novels.

Does anyone have any advice? :frown:
Okay, this might not be the answer you wanted but this is what I would do if I were you.

I think you chose subjects because you're good at them, which is fine, a good idea but you don't enjoy them. In higher level work like it is at A Level, how much you like a subject goes hand in hand with achievement in it. I'm not by any way saying you want do well in science, I'm sure you will. Well done at GCSE by the way!

However, for me, I'd retake my AS year and do subjects you actually like. You'll really feel the difference :smile: I've got friends who took like physics and chemistry, but they did that because they're respected and they ended up doing really badly because they didn't enjoy it, so didn't go to their lessons etc.

Subjects you like is fundamental, it leads you on to doing a degree or getting a job in a sector or field that does reflect your personality and interests. :smile:

I wish you the best of luck though!
You need to do some serious searching and thinking about what you really want to do, what you enjoy doing, where you see yourself being in the next 5 years etc.

here is a link that might help you out though.

http://www.career-success-for-newbies.com/how-to-find-your-dream-career.html

best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
I had the same problem, and found myself being talked into things by people for the sake of getting on with life. Except I did have more of a mix of arts/science subjects, which ironically just made it more of a challenge to decide. I'm now hoping to study a mixture as part of a Natural Sciences course.
There are plenty of higher education courses that draw on elements of both; subjects like Anthropology have a scientific focus but also fulfill your desire to understand the world better whilst also being a humanities subject really? Or maybe consider some of the joint honours degrees if you were interested in maybe keeping up with more of an essay subject alongside a science which keeps up the interest in the world and keeps options open jobs wise. You could always end up
Short term I'd advise a good and proper search through the course searches on UCAS, I left this far too late myself! Then if anything sparks your interest then you'll have more of an idea of what to do next year for A levels etc. Also, you could consider dropping a science and picking up English AS? Even if it ends up being purely for interest you'd have more of an idea of whether that was what you wanted to do rather than a scientific subject.
But life is too short to do anything you don't want to be when there are so many amazing options, so do what makes you happy!
Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
*Could always end up doing scientific journalism or something!
I can't even finish my sentences, good one there...
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I'm studying biology, chemistry, physics and psychology at AS. The reasons are because I assumed the sciences would be the most useful and lead to a diverse choice of degrees and psychology because I thought it'd be interesting.

Now a year into studying these and I'm wondering if I made a mistake. It's hard to explain but basically I chose science courses because I was confident in them. That's because at GCSE I got 3 As in science during the units so I KNEW I was good at them. The other subjects I didn't do unit exams for so I didn't truely know if I was good at them. The confidence I felt in science lead to me actually liking them. However, come GCSE results day and I find out I got an A in everything else, too. So I don't know which area of academia I'm best at and that's why I'm so confused.

I've come to realise that I don't really like science. I HATE lab work and I've realised that most science degrees lead to work in a lab which I can't do. However, I like finding out about how our bodies work and just about the different processes that occur in the World and I find them fascinating. I also love English. I love writing descriptions of things and interpreting what authors mean on a deeper level. I also love Psychology and finding out why people behave certain ways and I particularly like evolutionary psychology.

So, now I don't know what to do. I feel like I've made a huge mistake in choosing science subjects when I'm starting to miss writing descriptive writing and analysing poems and novels.

Does anyone have any advice? :frown:

If you like english and scientific theory then you could try a career in scientific journalism but I think it's pretty competitive and you would need a science degree which would certainly require you to do a lot of lab work.

I'm struggling to work out why you chose to create this under relationships?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending