The Student Room Group

Can you live off of the lowest student loan possible?

Or would it be too hard?
Depends on location and accomodation costs
Reply 2
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
Or would it be too hard?

if you still live at home :smile: yes
Reply 3
Just £3500? Nope. Regardless of where you live the rent+food+travel+general expenses will be more than £3500. You'll need a job. If this is your situation I strongly advise you start looking for a term time job now. Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by Moscardini
Depends on location and accomodation costs

Well probably London, so It wouldn't be too cheap.

Then no, you'll need extra cash m'afraid
I get the minimum loan and it basically covers my rent exactly, though occasionally i get a little bit extra. Gotta save up and work to cover living costs unfortunately.

Then no. Have a look at accommodation costs in London. That, alone, will be more than the minimum loan.
Reply 8
Or would it be too hard?

Being entitled to only the £9k tuition fees and a the minimum grant possible my mum is having to support me :frown:.
She has told that she will buy me my accommodation and that i will have £250 per week to live of.
How much do you get per week from the loan m8??
Reply 9
I thought the minimum loan in London was close to £7000?
Original post by Tateco
I thought the minimum loan in London was close to £7000?

Just checked, it's £4988 :yes:

With the minimum loan, even in the cheapest room at my uni that would leave about £600 for everything else, which I couldn't live off :no:
Reply 11
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Just checked, it's £4988 :yes:

With the minimum loan, even in the cheapest room at my uni that would leave about £600 for everything else, which I couldn't live off :no:

You actually couldn't live on that even if you had a part time job as well could you? :confused:
Reply 12
Nope, get a job mate
Original post by Tateco
You actually couldn't live on that even if you had a part time job as well could you? :confused:

Depends how much you spend. I'm sure I could manage with a part time job and one of the cheaper rooms.
No. No way. I took a year out because my loan, which was £3500 , was about £500 less than my accommodation (the chepeast available!). I'd suggest that once rent is covered, you'd need about £2000 minimum to survive.
Reply 15
im [grades depending] going to be living in london so no, the lowest grant is what about £5k a year? no where near enough to get by on ... assuming i dont have a job or the like then as well.
It could be possible if you didn't live in London. My accommodation cost £2530.80p this year (costs £2992+bills next year) I also spent £30/week for 36 weeks on food, so £1080 for that.

I spent roughly 5.2K this year
Reply 17
Original post by bahjat93
Being entitled to only the £9k tuition fees and a the minimum grant possible my mum is having to support me :frown:.
She has told that she will buy me my accommodation and that i will have £250 per week to live of.
How much do you get per week from the loan m8??

I'm not at Uni this year, but I plan to study an access course and hopefully go Uni next year. I'm just curious as right now I live with a single parent and my dad's pension letters and other information is everywhere, so if he can't manage to find the stuff needed, I might have to live off the standard loan and try find some work somewhere. But I hope to go University in London, as I might travel back and forth for the 1st year.
Reply 18
Well hopefully I plan to study Physiotherapy, and I THINK that I can get funded by NHS, but I really don't know how that works with an NHS course. I just read about the NHS degrees being funded, so not too sure if this is true for Physiotherapy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending