The Student Room Group

Is anyone entitled to a student loan?

If your parents are on over £50,000 is it true you're not entitled?
Reply 1
Original post by isaacworthington

My mum earns around double that before tax. I was entitled to £9k loan and a minimum grant which was stupidly small
Reply 2
Original post by isaacworthington

I think it's just that you won't get the full amount. http://studentcalculator.org.uk/ <-- Link might help, just fill it in the entitlements section and it'll work it out for you.
Reply 3
You get fees paid plus a non means tested maintenance load of (I think) around £5000
Original post by bahjat93
My mum earns around double that before tax. I was entitled to £9k loan and a minimum grant which was stupidly small

I wouldn't go around dropping figures about parents' earnings, it's just not done.
Reply 5
It's a stupid system, since I live with my mum and her partner, yet my mum only works part time and gets around £10k a year, whereas her partner works on a commission based system so for the financial year student finance him to enter, I get the minimum maintenance grant. Next year however, I will be entitled to the maximum because he received less business that year. Plus the fact he has 2 children who live with their mother that he has to support.
This system needs a massive overhaul, since I'm going to have to support myself entirely, without any help from anyone.
I'm happily willing to do so, but I think it's particularly unfair how your parent’s income should determine whether or not it is necessary for you to work part-time at university.
Everyone can get the tuition fee loan of £9000 a year and the first chunk of the maintenance loan (about £3500) regardless of what their parents earn. It's the grants and the higher part of the loan that are income-assessed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by A.J10
You get fees paid plus a non means tested maintenance load of (I think) around £5000

More like £3500
Original post by Existentialistic
More like £3500

Original post by Potally_Tissed
Everyone can get the tuition fee loan of £9000 a year and the first chunk of the maintenance loan (about £3500) regardless of what their parents earn. It's the grants and the higher part of the loan that are income-assessed.

I thought the maintenance loan was £2755 :colonhash:

Or is that if you're living at home?
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
I thought the maintenance loan was £2755 :colonhash:

Or is that if you're living at home?

Yeah, that's the amount for living at home :yes:
Reply 10
everyone is entitled to a student loan but the more you eanr the less you get and for such an income youre not entitled to a maintainance grant
Yeah, that's the amount for living at home :yes:
That's fair enough, thanks for confirming :smile:
Reply 12

Oh, just found an answer! Thank you so much for this reply! :smile: My parents (especially my father) were so worried!!! :redface: So, are you sure that anyone can get the FULL student loan (regardless of your parents' income)? I guess it is the same for EU students? (EU students pay the same fees as UK students and can apply for a loan as well, according to their website)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Jenn.
Oh, just found an answer! Thank you so much for this reply! :smile: My parents (especially my father) were so worried!!! :redface: So, are you sure that anyone can get the FULL student loan (regardless of your parents' income)? I guess it is the same for EU students? (We pay the same fees as UK students and can apply for a loan as well)

You can get the full tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. Anybody can. Just not the full maintenance grant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Cll_ws
You can get the full tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. Anybody can. Just not the maintenance grant.

Oh, thank you so much for the reply!!! :smile: So relieved. I couldn't seem to find any information on their website! :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by Jenn.
Oh, thank you so much for the reply!!! :smile: So relieved. I couldn't seem to find any information on their website! :s-smilie:

You can use this calculator to find out roughly what you'll get.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If your household income is £42000+ then you won't get any maintenance grant. But everybody is eligible for the tuition fee and maintenance loans.

I think the amount you get for a maintenance loan is still somewhat dependent on household income, but everybody regardless of income gets the minimum amount which I think is £3,600 per year. Depending on income though you could get anything up to £5555 (or more if you're studying in London), so check it out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Cll_ws
You can use this calculator to find out roughly what you'll get.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If your household income is £42000+ then you won't get any maintenance grant. But everybody is eligible for the tuition fee and maintenance loans.

I think the amount you get for a maintenance loan is still somewhat dependent on household income, but everybody regardless of income gets the minimum amount which I think is £3,600 per year. Depending on income though you could get anything up to £5555 (or more if you're studying in London), so check it out.

Thank you very much. :smile: As long as I'm eligible for a tuition fee student loan, it's fine.

Ohhh... EU Students cannot apply for "a maintenance loan", anyway. :s-smilie:

student finance.png
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest