The Student Room Group

21st Cent. Science B7 + IIC - 12th June 2012

Right hey guys :smile:
I wanted to start this as biology is a big subject for me to need to get a good grade as much as I think you'll want to get good grades.
I have decent knowledge in this area though like most of you i'm going to need to revise hard to know everything on the specification.
So feel free to discuss the B7 unit and the Ideas In Context :biggrin:
Biology's always an exam I feel well prepared for, and then I enter in, and have no idea! I tend to scrape my grade, though, it's just that the exam's harder than I expect! Glad to have this thread :smile:
Reply 2
Yeah, I know how you feel :smile:
But I have a strong feeling they've swapped over the difficulty of chemistry and biology for topic 7.
If there's any problems you have with anything, I'll be able to help with most of the stuff :smile:
I think the best thing to do, I did this with chemistry C7, is to print out the specification points,
this is all the stuff you have to know, go through it like a checklist, tick things you know, revise things you don't with a good
textbook like CGP, don't use the actual textbook OCR use, this isn't much help.. Also, you should think about doing all the past
papers and attempt all questions make sure you know every weak point you have off by heart so you could attempt any question
from the past 3 year's past papers and get full marks in them :biggrin:
So you're predicting our Biology will be harder, or easier than Chemistry!?

My revision won't kick off for another week properly, because I have 5 exams this coming week, which require my immediate focus, however I'm really appreciative of your offer of help- when I know which bit confuse me [there's always something!] I'll be sure to post- thank you :smile:

I'm tempted to begin by doing what I did for Chemistry, as it's probably the most effective revision I've ever done for Science!
I cross referenced the OCR textbook and revision guide, making notes, and I then cross referenced the notes again against the specification, until I was confident that my notes contained all I could need to know... and then I re read them, and made further notes.

I really missed out the past papers, though... I think I'll definitely focus more on them this time, the closest I came was reviewing a few the night before, which helped, but would've obviously helped more had I done more of them!

Do you reckon it'll be possible to at least partially predict some of the question topics from what's come up recently, and less recently?! I have a friend who managed to do so pretty well for parts of Chemistry!
Reply 4
I predict that biology will be easier as I have found chemistry way easier than biology in terms of exams..
I have 2 exams between now and then because I did most of mine in the first week of study leave
but I really wanted to focus on the biology topics through as many sources as I could, I can't mess up this one!

I think your revision will be very effective if you do that though :P But do the past papers, until you can get
every single question right!!

I think we can establish that some of the harder stuff will still be in the biology exam though, and there's general
stuff that'll have something of a question in there, for example photosynthesis and blood/skeletal system.
Any one find anything difficult on the syllabus?
Reply 6
Original post by pouryia
Any one find anything difficult on the syllabus?

Yeah, I am.. It's not because I don't understand it, it's because my biology teacher was realllly lazy and got us to do a lot of self-study and didn't explain the things we didn't know after it.. So I just really need to go over it and teach myself and I should be fine.

How about you? I have a decent knowledge if anythings really troubling you.. :smile:
How's revision going for everyone?!
Reply 8
Original post by Anny Smiles
How's revision going for everyone?!

Yeah! 3 days before the exam and I'm feeling fairly confident, have gone through the specification points, learnt everything thoroughly and have time now to properly go through the IIC! :biggrin: Good luck guys on your exam
Original post by Aidn
Yeah! 3 days before the exam and I'm feeling fairly confident, have gone through the specification points, learnt everything thoroughly and have time now to properly go through the IIC! :biggrin: Good luck guys on your exam

Organised O.o

The Spec splits B7 into 7 sections- I have full notes on 6 of them. Tomorrow afternoon & Monday I'll do IIC and the final section of notes.

How do people prepare for the IIC? I never know what to do :colondollar:
Reply 10
Original post by Anny Smiles
Organised O.o

The Spec splits B7 into 7 sections- I have full notes on 6 of them. Tomorrow afternoon & Monday I'll do IIC and the final section of notes.

How do people prepare for the IIC? I never know what to do :colondollar:

I don't have much of a clue myself..
I've decided that i'm going to read the article 3 times over to properly understand it, then read the modules which have the themes in the article, understand any key words and hope for the best :/
So... how did people find it??!

I thought it was a good exam... Not actually that hard at all... and that was the general feeling amongst those in my class I've spoken to.
Reply 12
Yeah, I found it pretty easy.. Don't want to jynx it but i'm looking toward the full marks boundary with this one!

Predicted Grade Boundaries: A* 45/46 A 35/36 B 29/30 C 21/22

Quick Reply

Latest