The Student Room Group

Help needed with War and the transformation of British Society history test

Hi I've got my history exam on the 12th this month and as you read its about war and the transformation of British society. Edexcel is the exam board and it is a 5 question source question paper

My problem is I don't know what to write on each of the questions,our school has loads of powerpoints about content but they never uploaded the one which has the keyframes etc

If anyone could provide me with a keyframe for each of the questions and help me by telling me what to write on each question it would be much appreciated thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Q1. You have to make 2 inferences from source A, they must be supported with quotes. (to get full 6 marks)

Q2. Is a purpose question. So to get full marks you need to write about the message that the source is conveying, and then about the purpose of the source. Also add some content in there. Must be backed up with quotes. Expect to write about 2 paragraphs.

Q3. ask you how 'sources A and B support the evidence of source C' this is a cross referencing question. To get full marks make statements about agreement and disagreement of the sources, must be backed up with quotes; must make a judgement on the degree of support between the sources using their contents and reliability. Expect to write 2 paragraphs as well as a mini conclusion.

Q4. This question is Utility question, 'how useful are sources D and E'.
To get full marks write about the usefullness of each source aswell as how reliable they are. Also write 'what they are', 'when they were written', 'why they were written'. And then give a conclusion on which is the most useful. Again remember to quote.

Q5. Asks you to test a hypothesis/statement with all the sources. This means which sources agree and which sources disagree with the statement in the question. To get full marks: a fully balanced answer about all the sources, making a judgement on the level of agree/disagreement of the sources, using their content and reliability. Make the reliability relevant to the question. Must write about all the sources (A, B, C, D, E and F). And to finish off must have a conclusion with your final judgement. Again must back you answer up with quotes

Hope that helps :biggrin: and you just helped me with exam technique lol.
Reply 2
Thanks sooo much,your a lifesaver lol :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Joey Tribbiani
Q1. You have to make 2 inferences from source A, they must be supported with quotes. (to get full 6 marks)

Q2. Is a purpose question. So to get full marks you need to write about the message that the source is conveying, and then about the purpose of the source. Also add some content in there. Must be backed up with quotes. Expect to write about 2 paragraphs.

Q3. ask you how 'sources A and B support the evidence of source C' this is a cross referencing question. To get full marks make statements about agreement and disagreement of the sources, must be backed up with quotes; must make a judgement on the degree of support between the sources using their contents and reliability. Expect to write 2 paragraphs as well as a mini conclusion.

To get full marks write about the usefullness of each source aswell as how reliable they are. Also write 'what they are', 'when they were written', 'why they were written'. And then give a conclusion on which is the most useful. Again remember to quote.

Q5. Asks you to test a hypothesis/statement with all the sources. This means which sources agree and which sources disagree with the statement in the question. To get full marks: a fully balanced answer about all the sources, making a judgement on the level of agree/disagreement of the sources, using their content and reliability. Make the reliability relevant to the question. Must write about all the sources (A, B, C, D, E and F). And to finish off must have a conclusion with your final judgement. Again must back you answer up with quotes

Lol you are the biggest life saver you even explained so well. Cheers mate.:wink:
You're all welcome. :biggrin:

you my friend, are a god! thanks! how have you been revising? I've just been learning the topics and havent done much question practise. Also how do you do Q4 if it asks about reliability instead of utility? :biggrin:
Original post by robynelisabeth
you my friend, are a god! thanks! how have you been revising? I've just been learning the topics and havent done much question practise. Also how do you do Q4 if it asks about reliability instead of utility? :biggrin:

The way i have been revising in the past 3 days is going through each section in the book. But if you are confident about the content focus on exam technique, because that's what this exam is really about. practice your exams.

And question 4, if it asks about reliability you still do the same, but end in the conclusion which is most reliable and why..
okay thanks! :smile:
Reply 8
Does anyone know what topic came up on the January 2012 paper?
Reply 9
Am I the only one who feels exam technique is much more important than content for this exam?

Tbh I haven't done much revision in terms of content..
Reply 10
Original post by Ralphyboy
Does anyone know what topic came up on the January 2012 paper?

It was the schlieffen plan :smile:
Reply 11
Does anyone know where you can find practice papers for this paper? I've found some on edexel but they don't have a copy of the sources! Has anyone found any with the sources?
Reply 12
January 2012 was the Schlieffen Plan and Battle of Mons, I think something might come up on the General Strike this time but I'm not sure :smile: What do other people think will come up?

Actually ignore that about general strike, it's already come up
(edited 11 years ago)
I think something about women and suffragettes will come up. They haven't had really anything on it apart from in one of the sample papers about rationing, there was a little bit about the role of women. But I feel that women is quite a big amount in the text book so im hoping it'll be on that :smile:
Reply 14
The way i have been revising in the past 3 days is going through each section in the book. But if you are confident about the content focus on exam technique, because that's what this exam is really about. practice your exams.

And question 4, if it asks about reliability you still do the same, but end in the conclusion which is most reliable and why..

in question 4 you can talk about how reliable it is or utility (how useful), I revised for the questions and structure, if you don't really want to revise for background knowledge, I am stressing you to revise the structure over and over again as you will get the marks you need if you revise the structure. Also revise the topics that have not come over the past years as they are most likely to come.
Hope this helps.:smile:
Why don't we look at what the examiners have to say about the questions.
Here is the report-
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20Current%20GCSE/June%202011%20-%20ER/5HA03_3B_pef_20110824.pdf

DON'T FORGET TO USE DISCOURSE MARKERS!
The examiners report says to include words such as 'suggests' or 'persuade'
when writing the answer.
Examiners Report:
Question 1. Candidates often wrote too much for inference. It is sufficient to make the
inferences and support them from the source, often with a direct quote. The reliability of the
source is not a relevant issue.
Question 2. Ensure that candidates identify the underlying purpose of the source, not just
the message. This could be what the source is trying to make people think or do. This
should be supported with evidence from the source itself and/or contextual knowledge.
Question 3. Ensure that candidates focus on the style of a cross referencing question and
actually cross reference the sources. They should identify support and differences and make
judgements on the extent of support based on the content and reliability of the sources.
Question 4. Candidates should avoid simply describing the contents of the sources. They
should evaluate both the information/contents in the context of utility or reliability as well as
the nature, origins and purpose.
Question 5. A small number of candidates made little or no reference to the sources and
instead wrote extensively about the reasons for the Labour victory in 1945. Ensure that
candidates focus only on using the sources to test the hypothesis. Highest marks require
them to make judgements on the extent of support and challenge to the hypothesis based
on the weight of evidence given in the sources and their reliability.
My history teacher thinks the introduction to the NHS is going to come up, as it is a big topic and has never come up.
Thank you for letting me know. In my opinion it would be the best idea to perfect the writing technique rather than learn the content.
Reply 19
My history teacher thinks the introduction to the NHS is going to come up, as it is a big topic and has never come up.

It has come up, with the Old Age Pensions Act. It was quite a big part in the paper too.
I think women will come up, or maybe rationing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending