The Student Room Group

waking up in a hospital bed.

i don't know if this is an everyday issue, but here it goes.

this morning, i woke up in a hospital bed. yepp, alcohol poisoning. in short, i went to a party last night, got drunk out of my mind and apparently passed out; the others, from what i've understood, called an ambulance, with which i was taken to a hospital.

the thing is, i was supposed to be going to a music festival per train with my closest friend today, who also took me to this party. and at the moment, i have no idea what to think of this. i honestly don't think it's much of a deal, but is there something i should do? some kind of drunk etiquette? :tongue: i do plan to call my friend later and apologize for letting him down. i'm usually okay with drinking, but this was the first time i've really pushed it too far.

on a related note, my mother thinks confiscating my phone for a while is a good idea. i'm seventeen, and rational enough to understand that while a punishment may help me to come to terms with what i've done, it certainly does not solve any underlying 'issue' or alter my fundamental essence as a person. i'm young, and i'm going to party, and maybe i overdid it this time but surely a punishment is unnecessary?

has anyone gone through any similar experiences, and how did you handle it? thanks! :smile: x

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations, you're now one of the reviled million patients admitted to NHS hospitals every year due to over drinking :smile:

A punishment is necessary if it helps you change your party attitude, imo. You say you're young and going to party, but you're also vulnerable and trust me, you don't want to be "that girl" at parties. I have a friend who gets trashed out of her mind every party, not to the point of vomiting every time, but enough to get sozzled and make out with random guys. Everyone likes her, but none of us really respect her :p:

I'd say the best apology to your friend is to say you won't ever get that drunk again, and then don't? I reckon nearly everyone has one incident where they get particularly wasted, it's that point where you decide on whether you learn your lesson or you keep pushing your luck, and that speaks volumes about a person's character
Original post by ziziii

the thing is, i was supposed to be going to a music festival per train with my closest friend today, who also took me to this party. and at the moment, i have no idea what to think of this. i honestly don't think it's much of a deal, but is there something i should do?

IDK but the fact this is even on your mind is rather strange. I would be thankful that I was not left outside to drown in my own vomit and received medical help.

surely if they were at the party they would know what happened?
and surely if they were your closest friend they would know you would need to rest after an incident like that already?

Dont worry about it, they should understand.
Reply 3
Original post by Architecture-er
Congratulations, you're now one of the reviled million patients admitted to NHS hospitals every year due to over drinking :smile:

A punishment is necessary if it helps you change your party attitude, imo. You say you're young and going to party, but you're also vulnerable and trust me, you don't want to be "that girl" at parties. I have a friend who gets trashed out of her mind every party, not to the point of vomiting every time, but enough to get sozzled and make out with random guys. Everyone likes her, but none of us really respect her :p:

I'd say the best apology to your friend is to say you won't ever get that drunk again, and then don't? I reckon nearly everyone has one incident where they get particularly wasted, it's that point where you decide on whether you learn your lesson or you keep pushing your luck, and that speaks volumes about a person's character

I agree with you entirely and your signature is a lie :frown:
Original post by cgraham15
yeah, sorry I was probably a bit harsh thinking about it now :s-smilie: But still, you can tell when you're drunk and when you're very drunk, so why push the boat out further? Except for if you want to make yourself like a complete fool.

haha no worries, I wasn't calling you out or anything :P

I just assumed that because they were 17 they may not have had much experience with alcohol and know what their limit was :smile:
Reply 5
Congrats for wasting taxpayers' money because you don't know your limits :top:
Ah the joys of being young and foolish, the key is what you do with this experience. We all make mistakes but the definition of idiocy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. :wink:

It's all a part of growing up.
Reply 7
Congratulations you have successfully turned into a statistic.

The worrying part is that you don't seem to realise just how bad your situation is.

If waking up in a hospital bed is deserving of a
:smile:
or a
:tongue:
, then I plead with you now to reconsider
Original post by ELs123
Most people have an experience when they go too far. its something to learn from.

Er, no.
Reply 9
everyone gets drunk. the amount of times iv passed out due to alcohol. i probably should have had my stomach pumped many a time.
lets wait for the neg reps for that.

BUT you are young, you will do it, its a good thing your mates helped you, your mum should confiscate your phone, as your probably more likely to rebel. aslong as you dont get so plastered you dont know what your doing, you should be fine.
trust me its pretty scary, i wish my mates were there when i last was so drunk i didnt know what i was doing, but it turns out they all went home wondering where i was!

youll be fine, no worries [=
Original post by Sir Fox

Hey to all those people saying about money being wasted, we all have learn at some point, and furthermore thousands of obese people waste our money more than unexperienced teens. Just something to think about :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by cgraham15
thanks for wasting NHS and taxpayer money, idiot.
surely 'idiot' is taking it a bit far..? for little do you know that i speak five languages fluently, and am heading out to UCL for an undergrad law degree (while also having featured on the cover of a local music magazine alongside captaining the local football side's u-18 squad). 'idiot' was slightly dismissive and unnecessary, i find.

i go out drinking all the time, but this was a new experience for me, and something to learn from.

i live in Germany, where, surprisingly, less people complain about money. looks like someone's butthurt regarding their income! :rolleyes:

Original post by EnviroProtector
Hey to all those people saying about money being wasted, we all have learn at some point, and furthermore thousands of obese people waste our money more than unexperienced teens. Just something to think about :/
it makes me happy to know that there are people who actually think before blurting things out. thank you. x

Original post by Sir Fox
'kenn dein limit', i read it everywhere. just because you don't get laid doesn't mean you should be going around recycling jokes that have already been mentioned in the thread, k thanks :smile:

Original post by Nadin532
Congratulations you have successfully turned into a statistic.

The worrying part is that you don't seem to realise just how bad your situation is.
mate, just.. if it were that bad, i wouldn't have chilled all day today. i understand you feel the need to be funny in an online community, but relax yea?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by + polarity -
Er, no.

hence the word most. Are you one of the people wrapped in cotton wool who have no experience getting a bit wild and learning your lesson the next day?
Reply 13
Your liver wants an apology... >:frown: Your mother took away your phone because she probably doesn't know what else to do with you. Don't be so stupid again - taking up hospital beds and wasting money on medical fees. You shoud be ashamed and embarrassed. And you have left your friend down. If you can't handle your alcohol, then do not drink.
Reply 14
Original post by ziziii
'kenn dein limit', i read it everywhere. just because you don't get laid doesn't mean you should be going around recycling jokes that have already been mentioned in the thread, k thanks :smile:

Sure, I bet the nurses thought pumping out your stomache made you such a sexy guy that they immediately wanted to mount you :rolleyes: If alcohol is the only way you get laid I seriously pity you ... Besides, didn't see a joke in my post.
Reply 15
Original post by ziziii
for little do you know that i speak five languages fluently, and am heading out to UCL for an undergrad law degree (while also having featured on the cover of a local music magazine alongside captaining the local football side's u-18 squad).

Would you tell me again how this is of any relevance?
Ahh a mistakes a mistake :smile: Every teen goes through the "OMG TOO DRUNK TO WALK...OO PASSED OUT...OO WAKING UP..." Whether you wake up in your room or hospital, just glad your safe :smile: Just learn from your mistakes. You seem like a clever youngster to know that this mistake cant happen again :smile:

Have fun, and make sure u drink safe :P xx
Reply 17
Original post by ziziii
i don't know if this is an everyday issue, but here it goes.

this morning, i woke up in a hospital bed. yepp, alcohol poisoning. in short, i went to a party last night, got drunk out of my mind and apparently passed out; the others, from what i've understood, called an ambulance, with which i was taken to a hospital.

the thing is, i was supposed to be going to a music festival per train with my closest friend today, who also took me to this party. and at the moment, i have no idea what to think of this. i honestly don't think it's much of a deal, but is there something i should do? some kind of drunk etiquette? :tongue: i do plan to call my friend later and apologize for letting him down. i'm usually okay with drinking, but this was the first time i've really pushed it too far.

on a related note, my mother thinks confiscating my phone for a while is a good idea. i'm seventeen, and rational enough to understand that while a punishment may help me to come to terms with what i've done, it certainly does not solve any underlying 'issue' or alter my fundamental essence as a person. i'm young, and i'm going to party, and maybe i overdid it this time but surely a punishment is unnecessary?

has anyone gone through any similar experiences, and how did you handle it? thanks! :smile: x

Congratulations. Do you realise what you've done to your body, more specifically, your liver? Probably not because you seem to think that is big and clever to drink like that. It isn't.

One of the fundamental things wrong with this country is that adolescents seem to think that it's acceptable to drink themselves stupid. You waste taxpayers' money and more importantly, you make a complete and utter tit of yourself. Well done. When one goes to continental Europe, you don't see people getting off their faces, and that is because they have sense, something that is severely lacking in this country nowadays. It's not 'uniLAD' to drink like a fish, it's just ****ing up your body.
Original post by Sir Fox
Would you tell me again how this is of any relevance?
it was in reference to the word 'idiot', which i believe was not by you.

Original post by 3309will
Congratulations. Do you realise what you've done to your body, more specifically, your liver? Probably not because you seem to think that is big and clever to drink like that. It isn't.

One of the fundamental things wrong with this country is that adolescents seem to think that it's acceptable to drink themselves stupid. You waste taxpayers' money and more importantly, you make a complete and utter tit of yourself. Well done. When one goes to continental Europe, you don't see people getting off their faces, and that is because they have sense, something that is severely lacking in this country nowadays. It's not 'uniLAD' to drink like a fish, it's just ****ing up your body.
mate.. i live in Germany. so shut your **** and stop blabbing nonsense next time, k thanks :smile:
You're 17 so under the legal drinking age. Your Mum has a responsibility to keep you safe and make sure you act within the law. Her punishing you is her way of living up to her responsibilities. Be grateful you have a responsible parent.

Latest