The Student Room Group

does le chatelier's principle only apply to reversible reactions?

does le chatelier's principle only apply to reversible reactions?
Reply 1
No, it applies to reactions that go to a dynamic equilibrium...
Reply 2
Original post by Toph
No, it applies to reactions that go to a dynamic equilibrium...

For some reason the terms are interchangable for most I prefer your way though :rolleyes:

Le Chatelier's principle is rubbish anyway :tongue:

Explain things in terms of entropy changes and Kc

Only use Le Chatelier to check you've not done something stupid
Reply 3
Original post by OSharp
For some reason the terms are interchangable for most I prefer your way though :rolleyes:

Le Chatelier's principle is rubbish anyway :tongue:

Explain things in terms of entropy changes and Kc

Only use Le Chatelier to check you've not done something stupid

Oh right! I was kind of thinking that water to ice is a reversible reaction because you can get water from ice but the reaction is not in dynamic equilibrium :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
You can apply the thinking to any equilibrium. It falls out of classical thermodynamics anyway, so it's not a complete fudge.

Ice and water can be in equilibrium, so pressure changes will affect the position of the equilibrium. Just as water can be in equilibrium with it's vapor.
Reply 5
wow you lot are smart !

..so I've come to the conclusion that in general the answer is le chartelier ISN'T just for reversible reactions ....but le chartelier is like almost basic so I shouldn't really be using it to describe particular things..instead I should use stuff such as 'entropy' ..w/e that is

...just a question I had ..just about to start all the complex stuff so will learn more about equilibrium etc soon.

Reply 6
Original post by CasualSoul
..so I've come to the conclusion that in general the answer is le chartelier ISN'T just for reversible reactions ....but le chartelier is like almost basic so I shouldn't really be using it to describe particular things..instead I should use stuff such as 'entropy' ..w/e that is

Dont answer questions about reactions that go to completion with anything about le chatelier because it doesn't work like that i.e only use it for equilibrium questions or you'll hemorrhage marks.

Quick Reply

Latest