The Student Room Group

How many hours of work experience should i do in a pharmacy?

Currently I have done 16+ hours in a pharmacy and i don't think i have anymore to learn. I understand that work experience is not required but I'm not confident with my overall grade when i finish A level.

So the question is: how many hours of work experience should i do in a pharmacy so that it is sufficient? :biggrin:

Thx!
Reply 1
I don't think it's really the quantity of work experience, more the quality. I didn't even have work experience in a pharmacy; I had one week in a hospital and just drew my experiences from that.

Just remember to say the key skills you've learnt that a successful pharmacist has and then say how you feel you have these skills and give examples of where you've developed them. Sixteen hours in a pharmacy sounds plenty of work experience to me if you say there's nothing else you feel you have to learn.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mimsicle
I don't think it's really the quantity of work experience, more the quality. I didn't even have work experience in a pharmacy; I had one week in a hospital and just drew my experiences from that.

Just remember to say the key skills you've learnt that a successful pharmacist has and then say how you feel you have these skills and give examples of where you've developed them. Sixteen hours in a pharmacy sounds plenty of work experience to me if you say there's nothing else you feel you have to learn.

Good luck! :smile:

So for example, checking everything twice before giving it out the customer?? would you consider this a key skill?
Reply 3
Original post by Seatbelt
So for example, checking everything twice before giving it out the customer?? would you consider this a key skill?

Well you could say that you saw how the pharmacist had to make sure that the medicines given out did not interfere with any other medicines they were taking/any illnesses they currently had; also how they checked to see if the dosage given was the safest and most effective one for the patient.

Also mention things like communication skills, team work skills and anything else that you might have seen. When saying things like "checking everything twice" think of what they are checking and why they're checking it.
Reply 4
Original post by mimsicle
Well you could say that you saw how the pharmacist had to make sure that the medicines given out did not interfere with any other medicines they were taking/any illnesses they currently had; also how they checked to see if the dosage given was the safest and most effective one for the patient.

Also mention things like communication skills, team work skills and anything else that you might have seen. When saying things like "checking everything twice" think of what they are checking and why they're checking it.

Thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
No problem! :smile:
Work experience will look good on your UCAS application but also gives you a unique advantage over other candidates come your interview.
Try to link in your experience to some of your interview answers. You can probably write down five questions you are guaranteed to be asked at any interview... try to think up model answers for them. Encorporate your "unique selling points" (like your work experience) into these answers to show yourself off!

I would recommend you get a total of at least one week's work experience. Ideally, two weeks. I can only give you a guide here because I am not an admissions tutor. However, a day here or there (16 hours is equivalent to 2 working days roughly) does not really constitute much work experience in my opinion. Also, I certainly doubt you have exhausted your learning in just 16 hours - if that's the case, you aren't asking enough questions!

Think about what sets a pharmacist apart from the other members of the dispensing team. And no, I don't mean just the fact they have a degree. Think about their responsibilities (as mimsicle mentioned above) e.g Clinical Governance lead, advanced and enhanced pharmacy services etc and how these make pharmacists a vital part of the NHS. Showing you've done a bit of research proves you're interested in the profession and you are willing to go that extra mile - a very useful asset for a student.
Ask to read their Pharmaceutical Journals too (if they have them... many pharmacists stock pile them as part of their RPSGB membership). This is something else you can write on your UCAS form e.g I regularly keep up to date with current affairs in the pharmaceutical industry by reading the PJ etc etc.

Finally, try to enjoy your experience. Ask the pharmacist about their time at university and their careers. Get a good feel for the profession and the environment you will be working in when you are older (hopefully!).
Reply 7
Original post by Angrystrudel
Work experience will look good on your UCAS application but also gives you a unique advantage over other candidates come your interview.
Try to link in your experience to some of your interview answers. You can probably write down five questions you are guaranteed to be asked at any interview... try to think up model answers for them. Encorporate your "unique selling points" (like your work experience) into these answers to show yourself off!

I would recommend you get a total of at least one week's work experience. Ideally, two weeks. I can only give you a guide here because I am not an admissions tutor. However, a day here or there (16 hours is equivalent to 2 working days roughly) does not really constitute much work experience in my opinion. Also, I certainly doubt you have exhausted your learning in just 16 hours - if that's the case, you aren't asking enough questions!

Think about what sets a pharmacist apart from the other members of the dispensing team. And no, I don't mean just the fact they have a degree. Think about their responsibilities (as mimsicle mentioned above) e.g Clinical Governance lead, advanced and enhanced pharmacy services etc and how these make pharmacists a vital part of the NHS. Showing you've done a bit of research proves you're interested in the profession and you are willing to go that extra mile - a very useful asset for a student.
Ask to read their Pharmaceutical Journals too (if they have them... many pharmacists stock pile them as part of their RPSGB membership). This is something else you can write on your UCAS form e.g I regularly keep up to date with current affairs in the pharmaceutical industry by reading the PJ etc etc.

Finally, try to enjoy your experience. Ask the pharmacist about their time at university and their careers. Get a good feel for the profession and the environment you will be working in when you are older (hopefully!).

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 8
If you don't find anything then you can always lie.
Reply 9
Hi guys, I know this will sound like a stupid question but, for work experience in a pharmacy- what would you actually do in the pharmacy?

Quick Reply

Latest