The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2960
Insomnia is making me boredddd.
Original post by sophiered
Yeah, IDA's are one of the main factors in the A02 marking for this exam. Essentially it's best just to pick an IDA to run with for each essay (nature / nurture works for loads of them and is the easiest, for ones that it doesn't work for cultural usually works) and then just force it in throughout the essay.

Synopticity is also important, you need to include some synoptic evidence for a high mark, which is ****e for me because I always forget it and am awful at it. :tongue:

Thank you! What do you mean by 'synoptic evidence' exactly? Also is analysing methodology an IDA?
Original post by Louismoore16
Hi guys,

Does anyone know some good revision sites (not Scool) for this exam? wanted something else rather than just reading my notes over and over again.

Also, what do people think will come up for SLEEP/RELATIONSHIP/EATING. would be interesting to see what people thing.

Finally can anyone remember what came up for sleep in the jan exam?

Thanks

sleep; insomnia/sleepwalking or rhythms + EZs + EPs

eating; absolutely no idea.

i'd be interested to see eating predictions too!
Original post by sophiered
Yeah, IDA's are one of the main factors in the A02 marking for this exam. Essentially it's best just to pick an IDA to run with for each essay (nature / nurture works for loads of them and is the easiest, for ones that it doesn't work for cultural usually works) and then just force it in throughout the essay.

Synopticity is also important, you need to include some synoptic evidence for a high mark, which is ****e for me because I always forget it and am awful at it. :tongue:

err, what are IDA's...? lol.
I've never seen this before..
Hi guys,

Does anyone know some good revision sites (not Scool) for this exam? wanted something else rather than just reading my notes over and over again.

Also, what do people think will come up for SLEEP/RELATIONSHIP/EATING. would be interesting to see what people thing.

Thanks

Relationships, most are pegging for maintenance and sexual selection since they haven't come up in any papers yet.

No clue about eating, probably biological/evol expl for the disorder and maybe success/failure of dieting since that hasn't come up since 2010
evolutionary theorists say that babies spend 50% of sleep in REM to take the pressure off of parents to complete essential chores and find food.

Swear to God they annoy the hell out of me! how stupid. if any form of evolutionary comes up in the exam i'm just gonna get so frustrated cos it's pure stupidity. serious hate for evolutionary theorists, not gonna lie
Original post by pete clark
err, what are IDA's...? lol.
I've never seen this before..

issues, debates and approaches

so you've got stuff like nature/nurture which most ignore, biases like cultural , whether the research is holistic or narrowminded, erm there's probably more but my brain's so full atm.
oh, whether the explanation considers other factors such as biology/psychodynamic

Do you know if they can ask a question about dysphoria on its own?

Absolutely! It's likely they'd split the question up into either an A01 Q (eg. describe explanations of gender dysphoria and relevant research) or an A02 Q (eg. evaluate research and explanations of gender dysphoria) but it's possible that they could ask it as an essay Q, because there's enough to say about it I guess and enough research (DiCeglie, Swaab, Kruijver, David Reimer etc.).
Reply 2968
Original post by hhh123
That's excellent! Really good evaluation! My only suggestion would be to add in extra synoptic issues (IDAS). So you could include the use of subjective measures to gather findings, cultural bias as much research is gathered in westernized cultures, and also practical applications such as putting CCTV cameras into place.

Also I don't think SLT will be asked alone. I think it would be asked alongside deindividuation so that would give you more to talk about :-)

Ah thanks! :smile:
What do you mean by synpotic issues? Ah yeah those are good points, thanks for the feedback!

Yeah me either as they've already asked for 'one psychological theory of aggression' - but I'm hoping they ask for 'theories' plural, so yeah i'd talk about deindividuation too, would I still be able to access top marks if I wrote more about SLT? Or would I have to write equal amounts for both theories?
Original post by Leeshur
issues, debates and approaches

so you've got stuff like nature/nurture which most ignore, biases like cultural , whether the research is holistic or narrowminded, erm there's probably more but my brain's so full atm.
oh, whether the explanation considers other factors such as biology/psychodynamic

Ah, right, I knew that but never heard it called IDA, panic over lol.

Hi guys,

Thanks

http://psychology4a.com/sleep9.htm this is really helpful for sleep! not sure if it does anything else, i haven't yet looked.

Sleep in January was outline ibe explanation for narcolepsy (4)
0utline and evaluate evolutionary explanations for the functions of sleep (4+16)

for sleep this year, sleep disorders (insomnia or sleep walking as narcolepsy was in Jan) or bio rhythms with EZs and EPs

aggression: SLT or genetic influences

i don't do relationships sorry! :smile:
Hello!
I was just going through my notes and I came across bio model of aggression (Hormones/Neurotransmitters/Genes) I was wondering, because I dont know genes as much, could they ask just about genes and not about the whole bio model?
Original post by Smarty967
http://psychology4a.com/sleep9.htm this is really helpful for sleep! not sure if it does anything else, i haven't yet looked.

0utline and evaluate evolutionary explanations for the functions of sleep (4+16)

for sleep this year, sleep disorders (insomnia or sleep walking as narcolepsy was in Jan) or bio rhythms with EZs and EPs

Also, I've never seen Restorational explanations of sleep.. So a fair bit of my revision has gone into that. :smile:
Original post by av_kidd
Ah thanks! :smile:
What do you mean by synpotic issues? Ah yeah those are good points, thanks for the feedback!

Yeah me either as they've already asked for 'one psychological theory of aggression' - but I'm hoping they ask for 'theories' plural, so yeah i'd talk about deindividuation too, would I still be able to access top marks if I wrote more about SLT? Or would I have to write equal amounts for both theories?

we've been told split it 4 +8, 4 +8 for 2, but then i've done essays heavily on SLT then one paragraph ao1 deindividuation, then a study and criticisms as a second paragraph for Ao2 and still got high marks on it, so yeah aslong as you include both, i don't think it matters if it's top heavy
Original post by AnonymousJT
Hello!
I was just going through my notes and I came across bio model of aggression (Hormones/Neurotransmitters/Genes) I was wondering, because I dont know genes as much, could they ask just about genes and not about the whole bio model?

they can indeed ask about the genetic explanation of aggression. Plus, i think its likely to come up..
Original post by AnonymousJT
Hello!

Yeah I believe they can.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
i'm starting restoration today, if it has anything to do with evolutionary i'm going to scream. seriously hate those guys.
evolutionary theorists say that babies spend 50% of sleep in REM to take the pressure off of parents to complete essential chores and find food.

Swear to God they annoy the hell out of me! how stupid. if any form of evolutionary comes up in the exam i'm just gonna get so frustrated cos it's pure stupidity. serious hate for evolutionary theorists, not gonna lie

Actually that's wrong.

Evol theorists predict that babies sleeping for 16 hours takes pressure off the parents.

The 50% REM sleep thing is due to babies needing more brain development, which is what usually occurs in REM.
Original post by Leeshur
Relationships, most are pegging for maintenance and sexual selection since they haven't come up in any papers yet.

No clue about eating, probably biological/evol expl for the disorder and maybe success/failure of dieting since that hasn't come up since 2010

sleep; insomnia/sleepwalking or rhythms + EZs + EPs

eating; absolutely no idea.

i'd be interested to see eating predictions too!

Sleep - Rhythms/restoration theory/insomnia
Eating - Attitudes to food/success & failure of dieting/biological for eating disorder

Jan 2012 for sleep was evolutionary explanations

thanks. For people to contrast, my psychology teachs have predicted:
sleep: restoration explanation of sleep, sleep disorders
relationships: sexual selection
eating: biological explanation of eating disorder

however i have also made notes on parental investment,cultures on relationships, food preferences and attitudes to food
i'm starting restoration today, if it has anything to do with evolutionary i'm going to scream. seriously hate those guys.

its very scientific, i love it. unlike rubbish evo theories!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending