The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2820
Original post by insomniacramblings
How exactly does the supervisor's marking influence the exam board's? :smile: I hadn't read of this before...

I assumed it was the same as, say, English coursework. Your teacher marks it and then it gets sent to the exam board and you usually get the same mark your teacher gave you unless they were unreasonably nice/harsh with their marking. So I think the mark you get from your supervisor is the one you will get from the exam board unless your supervisor has made a mistake with the marking.
Hey, I have a question. I finished my EPQ on the extent to which homosexuality is accepted in the UK at about 7,100 words when fully edited and complete. I spoke to my teacher who said this was fine and I noted they said this in my Project Log. It's been sent off to be marked. My problem's the opposite of others - I had to edit down about 9,000 words as much as possible to try and get closer to 5,000. Will being over 2,000 words over the word count affect my grade? Or is that just a recommended word count?

Thank you.
Original post by eelnais
Hey, I have a question. I finished my EPQ on the extent to which homosexuality is accepted in the UK at about 7,100 words when fully edited and complete. I spoke to my teacher who said this was fine and I noted they said this in my Project Log. It's been sent off to be marked. My problem's the opposite of others - I had to edit down about 9,000 words as much as possible to try and get closer to 5,000. Will being over 2,000 words over the word count affect my grade? Or is that just a recommended word count?

Thank you.

I don't think it's a problem. If your teacher said it was fine, then it should be ok. In my college, someone wrote 24,000 words and is on track for a high grade, so I expect 7,100 will be fine.
I'm having some trouble with the question/title focusing on Political Philosophy, but can't get it right. How to phrase a question relating to Plato's criticism of democracy?
Reply 2824
Does anyone have any thoughts for an English Literature orientated EPQ? Trying to think of ideas, help would be really appreciated :kiss:
Original post by Hamzi
I am doing an EPQ on the ethics of stem cell research and I really need good sources to research because the one's I found kept repeating the same points over and over again in different words so now I am struggling to write a 5000 word dessertation.
I am enjoying doing my project but its just that I am not finding enough information to write 5000 word on it so please help me if you can.

One of best things about doing an EPQ is the way it teaches you to research. There really is no substitute to you researching it all for yourself. Have you been to the local library or are all of your sources from the internet? Could you possibly visit a university library? I managed to get a pass to visit Manchester Univeristy Library which in the end did not turn out to be that useful for my topic but it helped a lot of people and would help you on your chosen area. Make sure you plan the dissertation, possibly splitting it up into sections with subtitles so that you know where you're going with each section.

Original post by thediamonds
Hello

I want to complete my EPQ this summer or at least until Sep/Oct and am in the process of choosing a topic. I am planning to read Law at university and was thinking of a question that links morality with law, societies and how the law is representative of the people that made it and reflects their attitudes. I was also thinking of writing about how law changed through the years and the role it plays in a society....

Any ideas? Unfortunately that is all that I can think of at the moment :confused:

It's best to pick an area that has some debate, that way you can produce a balanced dissertation. I don't really know anything about law and it's best if you come up with your question yourself as you can discuss this later on in your evaluation. How about something like 'To what extent is the law representative of the creators' attitudes and how has this changed over the past X years?'

I'm starting my EPQ now, though the summer holidays unofficially since exams are all done and because of this I'm confused about the parts of the EPQ that require a supervisor/validator. I'm trying to finish the majority of the work on the EPQ over the next 3 months before we get back for A2, in order to avoid being distracted during term. How would I get the discussions/reviews of the various stages done (and, more importantly, on the log) if I'm doing it in the holidays when college isn't even open? Thanks in advance.

Your log doesn't need to be checked off at all. The only time my mentor ever saw my log was when I handed it in! I guess the simple answer is unless your mentor wants to mark anything during their summer holiday (I doubt they will!!!) you will have to produce what you think is right and have it checked when you get back to school.

I'm having some trouble with the question/title focusing on Political Philosophy, but can't get it right. How to phrase a question relating to Plato's criticism of democracy?

It's good to use 'How far' and 'To what extent' at the beginning of the question as it leads to debate. I don't know about Plato's criticism of democracy though, sorry!
Reply 2826
I'm planning on doing an EPQ about women who fought for equal rights. I don't want to focus on just the typical ones like Mary Seacole,the Pankhurst sisters etc. What books or websites do you think will help me? Thanks. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Can someone help me. How would i go about the discussion part of my EPQ, my question is about whether the uk judiciary are representative of uk defendants
Original post by Stripes23
I don't think it's a problem. If your teacher said it was fine, then it should be ok. In my college, someone wrote 24,000 words and is on track for a high grade, so I expect 7,100 will be fine.

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 2829
If you are doing a video piece for your EPQ how long would you expect it to be?
Original post by olop
If you are doing a video piece for your EPQ how long would you expect it to be?

Hi,
I did a short film this year for my EPQ, and it was around 3 minutes long? I would say no more than 10 minutes, as your mentor person has to watch it and also the official marker-they won't want to watch a half an hour piece when they will have loads to mark! . As a side note: I put my film onto a disk, but also uploaded it to YouTube and gave a link for that in the DVD case...just in case it wouldnt work
Can I write my EPQ about a historical figure?
Original post by DemolitionLovers

Your log doesn't need to be checked off at all. The only time my mentor ever saw my log was when I handed it in! I guess the simple answer is unless your mentor wants to mark anything during their summer holiday (I doubt they will!!!) you will have to produce what you think is right and have it checked when you get back to school.

Aren't there sections of the log the supervisor is supposed to fill out as you go along?
Aren't there sections of the log the supervisor is supposed to fill out as you go along?

My teacher took ages to do mine, so what I did was fill out the logbook, then emailed it to them saying its completed and I just need their little sections filled in throughout. If they said to change anything in their parts, you can just write how you weighed up their opinion but went with your own instinct if that's needed.
Hi, now this type of issue may have already been raised but basically a few months ago the teacher who is running the EPQ at my school did a presentation to the rest of my year and in that presentation she said we could perform a play. Now theatre is a passion of mine so I applied to do it. However yesterday we had a sort of briefing day to get us all started and producing a theatre production didn't seem to fit at all! The teachers were all proposing scientific approaches to everything. I was considering to do it as an artefact, directing a production of a play that is set in the 1920's (as it's an era I'm interested in) and I was planning on having the question something along the lines of 'Is theatre set in the 1920's still able to interest audiences and be able to sell tickets?' but also talking to my supervisor she doesn't seem to see how a theatre production fits in it either. Can I do something like this? Or does it have to be more scientific, I am planning on analysing the performance and successes, failures and explain etc. but is that enough? Also is that type of question suitable because every teacher associated with the qualification that I've spoken to seems to feel that I need to turn it into a social experiment but surely if it's supposed to be independent work I can merely direct a play for experience rather than have to turn it into some form of experiment. Also should it have a form of thesis that I need to examine (of course the question written can have one but I'm wondering if it's a necessity)
Please help! I'm so confused about it at the moment it's actually frightening me!
Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by theatre fanatic

Please help! I'm so confused about it at the moment it's actually frightening me!
Thanks a lot :smile:

You should be able to use that title, the EPQ doesn't HAVE to be scientific, just most people's are. But as long as you have secondary and primary data and fill in your log book regularlly you'll be able to do well.
(If you do go along with this title, bearing in mind titles DO change, mine has a few times already, You can't take it with you was a good theatrical production on in Manchester Exchange theatre around Christmas, that's set in the 1920's. So there's an example; if it's of any use!)
And good luck with your EPQ!!
Reply 2836
EPQ seems quite daunting- I'm doing mine on a (fairly) straightforward historical topic, just going down the 5000 word essay route. The only problem is the fact that I'm not entirely sure how best to start researching- google can only do so much for me. I will be writing about modern european dictators, any ideas on the best ways to start researching?
Original post by EsmeA
EPQ seems quite daunting- I'm doing mine on a (fairly) straightforward historical topic, just going down the 5000 word essay route. The only problem is the fact that I'm not entirely sure how best to start researching- google can only do so much for me. I will be writing about modern european dictators, any ideas on the best ways to start researching?

Library is good and s good Liberian will know how to help and what book you will need to help but first stop I made was to a relevant teacher for advice

Reply 2838
Original post by Jack22031994
Library is good and s good Liberian will know how to help and what book you will need to help but first stop I made was to a relevant teacher for advice

Okay thanks, good idea- my supervisor is my history teacher, so he pointed me in the direction of some good books which should help. Just wondered how best to approach the internet. :smile:
Reply 2839
hello,
i want to do an EPQ to do with classics, and considering the majority of my studies so far have been Greek based i've decided i want to do something on Rome for the EPQ.
so far i've got three ideas,

1. a comparison between rome and athens
2. what made rome great
3. what caused the fall of rome

i know basically nothing about rome and so i don't want to do anything too specific, do any of these seem like they'd be good for an EPQ?

Quick Reply

Latest