The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

I've got a 2.1 biomedical science degree (from Kings College London if that matters), but I want to apply for medical courses designed for school leavers because I feel the competition may not be as intense...

Am I right in thinking this?

Please understand I'm not talking about "graduate entry courses" or "standard medical courses with allocated slots for graduate applicants" - I'm talking about "standard medical courses for school leavers"

This list has the courses I am referring to;

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

Also, is it true that if you leave it longer than 3 years to apply for medicine after completing a degree, you are no longer eligible for either graduate entry medical courses OR standard medical courses? In short, you can never apply to medicine if you are in this situation?
Original post by cactus_farmer
I've got a 2.1 biomedical science degree (from Kings College London if that matters), but I want to apply for medical courses designed for school leavers because I feel the competition may not be as intense...

Am I right in thinking this?

Please understand I'm not talking about "graduate entry courses" or "standard medical courses with allocated slots for graduate applicants" - I'm talking about "standard medical courses for school leavers"

This list has the courses I am referring to;

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

Yes you can, but you won't get a tuition fee loan so you'll need to pay £9K per year for four years (fifth year is covered by the NHS bursary). And you won't be eligible for any SFE grants, just the maintenance loan. So, yes, you can apply for it, but the cost and lack of funding means virtually all graduates except those whose parents are aristocrats won't be able to afford it!

I'd advise you to apply for the GEPs. You have the right degree classification, if you can get a high enough GAMSAT/UKCAT score you should be able to land a few interviews.

Also, is it true that if you leave it longer than 3 years to apply for medicine after completing a degree, you are no longer eligible for either graduate entry medical courses OR standard medical courses? In short, you can never apply to medicine if you are in this situation?

This is definitely not true.
Reply 622
Original post by cactus_farmer

I'm 29, graduated in 2004 (Maths and Computer Science, so NOT a "relevant" medical subject), have done no studying since and I (somehow!) managed to get an offer for Newcastle and Warwick GEM courses this year.

So no, it's not true.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
Yes you can, but you won't get a tuition fee loan so you'll need to pay £9K per year for four years (fifth year is covered by the NHS bursary). And you won't be eligible for any SFE grants, just the maintenance loan. So, yes, you can apply for it, but the cost and lack of funding means virtually all graduates except those whose parents are aristocrats won't be able to afford it!

I'd advise you to apply for the GEPs. You have the right degree classification, if you can get a high enough GAMSAT/UKCAT score you should be able to land a few interviews.

This is definitely not true.

Hi im currently in A2 and thinking of doing graduate entry to medicine after completion of my biomedical science degree. Surely you would have to pay 9k for GEM anyway? How do people do it? do they take loan from some company and pay it back once they become a doctor? Isnt there a company apart from SLC to provide the finance? Thanks
Reply 624
If you are starting your course in the academic year 2012/13, you will have to self fund the first £3,375 of your tuition fees in the first year. In later years, the NHS Bursary scheme will pay £3,375 towards your tuition. Throughout the course, a Student Loan Company loan will be available to cover the difference between £3,375 and the tuition charges of their universities, to a maximum charge of £9,000.

Though, from what I've seen this year, the figure you have to pay in the first year and the NHS will pay in years 2-4 is actually £3465. SLC have offered me £5535 yearly tuition fee loans.

There have been no announcements about funding for 2013 entry. So it may be better, it may be worse.

Source: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/default.aspx?id=557
Original post by Education_1
Hi im currently in A2 and thinking of doing graduate entry to medicine after completion of my biomedical science degree. Surely you would have to pay 9k for GEM anyway? How do people do it? do they take loan from some company and pay it back once they become a doctor? Isnt there a company apart from SLC to provide the finance? Thanks

Well yes you do, but if you're on a four year GEP you get a student loan and an NHS bursary from years 2-4. This is not the case for graduates on A100 courses.

I can't think of anywhere else which will provide the finance since commercial loans from banks have much higher interest and will expect you to keep up with repayments which will not be possible for a full time student to do. Though as adsyrah says, no one is quite sure how even GEPs will be funded for 2013 entry and beyond.
Reply 626
Hello all.

As the title suggests I'm keen on applying to Cambridge for the Graduate Entry Programme. Obviously I'm aware of how intense the competition is in general for Medicine and Grad-Med and even more so for Cambridge.

but other than academics what exactly can I do to strengthen my application and maximise my chances of at least getting an interview?

Here's a little bit about me:

- 2:1 in non-science Bachelor's Degree
- AABb in A levels (including Chemistry, Biology and Maths).
- GCSEs; 4A* 4As annd 2Bs

-Work experience; extensive voluntary work over the years at a nursing home and over the last ten years at a local hospice which I still do regular work at.

Will be doing voluntary work at the Olympics this summer alongside a paid job at the Olympics and also an "Olympic Ambassadors" role.

Done extensive Hospital work experience over the years in Adult Medicine, Paediatrics and GP.

- Won numerous national awards for my voluntary work.

- Play American Football and Volleyball for city teams alongside other sports.

- Enjooy reading around the subject e.g. journals, general science books (e.g. The Selfish Gene).

Other than voluntary work I haven't done any clinical work experience of late and getting Hospital experience is seemingly tricky. I'm hoping to do some additional work with my GP and perhaps with a family friend who is a psychiatrist.

Can anyone offer me any advice on how I can strengthen my application and make it look impressive to the selectors at Cambridge?

Also I am hoping to be studying for a Master's in 2012/2013 before going onto medical school, in the States.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Soft Cat =^..^=
Reply 627
Anyone?
Original post by Soft Cat
Hello all.

As the title suggests I'm keen on applying to Cambridge for the Graduate Entry Programme. Obviously I'm aware of how intense the competition is in general for Medicine and Grad-Med and even more so for Cambridge.

but other than academics what exactly can I do to strengthen my application and maximise my chances of at least getting an interview?

Here's a little bit about me:

- 2:1 in non-science Bachelor's Degree
- AABb in A levels (including Chemistry, Biology and Maths).
- GCSEs; 4A* 4As annd 2Bs

-Work experience; extensive voluntary work over the years at a nursing home and over the last ten years at a local hospice which I still do regular work at.

Will be doing voluntary work at the Olympics this summer alongside a paid job at the Olympics and also an "Olympic Ambassadors" role.

Done extensive Hospital work experience over the years in Adult Medicine, Paediatrics and GP.

- Won numerous national awards for my voluntary work.

- Play American Football and Volleyball for city teams alongside other sports.

- Enjooy reading around the subject e.g. journals, general science books (e.g. The Selfish Gene).

Other than voluntary work I haven't done any clinical work experience of late and getting Hospital experience is seemingly tricky. I'm hoping to do some additional work with my GP and perhaps with a family friend who is a psychiatrist.

Can anyone offer me any advice on how I can strengthen my application and make it look impressive to the selectors at Cambridge?

Also I am hoping to be studying for a Master's in 2012/2013 before going onto medical school, in the States.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Soft Cat =^..^=

Here's a website regarding Cambridge http://www.societies.cam.ac.uk/cgcm/ProspectiveStudents.html
It does say 'Realistically, you'll need 3 As at A level ' but also that it's 'not in any way an official guide'.
Reply 629
Original post by Witty Username
Here's a website regarding Cambridge http://www.societies.cam.ac.uk/cgcm/ProspectiveStudents.html
It does say 'Realistically, you'll need 3 As at A level ' but also that it's 'not in any way an official guide'.

Yeah I did read that on Wolfson's site. Problem is my B Grade is in Chemistry. I did have a chat with the Department directly and they said yes they would consider me but I will be writing to them and to both Wolfson and Hughes Hall for official confirmation.

I know the BMAT isn't required but it's optional for the GEM course. Would a good BMAT performance strengthen my case for an interview? I'm also thinking of applying to American Medical Schools so would be looking at sitting the MCAT too.
Yeah I did read that on Wolfson's site. Problem is my B Grade is in Chemistry. I did have a chat with the Department directly and they said yes they would consider me but I will be writing to them and to both Wolfson and Hughes Hall for official confirmation.

I know the BMAT isn't required but it's optional for the GEM course. Would a good BMAT performance strengthen my case for an interview? I'm also thinking of applying to American Medical Schools so would be looking at sitting the MCAT too.

No idea, I'm afraid. You're better off asking the uni about such a specific question than TSR.
Reply 631
No idea, I'm afraid. You're better off asking the uni about such a specific question than TSR.

I guess so.

But in terms of making a strong application with regards to work experience and extra-curriculars, is there anything else I can do?
I guess so.

But in terms of making a strong application with regards to work experience and extra-curriculars, is there anything else I can do?

Long term experience/voluntary work is always good, but the general consensus is that it's all about what you gain from it rather than the sheer quantity of experience :smile:
Reply 633
Long term experience/voluntary work is always good, but the general consensus is that it's all about what you gain from it rather than the sheer quantity of experience :smile:

Well I've been volunteering at my local hospice over the last ten years and also more regularly over the last 6 months whilst having to complete my degree and also working in London for LOCOG (Olympics Stuff).

I'm wary that quite a few of those givne offers did somethign out of the ordinary and usually something like a project abroad. I move to London in July and will be working there until September (Olympics and Paralympics). So if I'm going to do somethign abroad it would have to be right now hence after your posts and the link I'm now scouring the net for cheap lastminute volunteering projects.

I've never really done a HCA job I don't know if that's an issue? But yeha I've done an awful lot of volutnary work especially in palliative care and in events/hospitality and lots of hospital/GP work experience and also some in a care home which treats children with epilepsy.

I know you're probably the wrong person to ask I'm just so keen to get into Cambridge and Grad Med in general and want to throw everything at this to give myself the ebst possible fighting chance.

Hopefully might be going to the US to study in October if I get an offer (applying to UChicago and UPenn) so hoping an offer from one of those places would go some way to proving my academic credentials.

Argh so much to do so little time!.
Well I've been volunteering at my local hospice over the last ten years and also more regularly over the last 6 months whilst having to complete my degree and also working in London for LOCOG (Olympics Stuff).

I'm wary that quite a few of those givne offers did somethign out of the ordinary and usually something like a project abroad. I move to London in July and will be working there until September (Olympics and Paralympics). So if I'm going to do somethign abroad it would have to be right now hence after your posts and the link I'm now scouring the net for cheap lastminute volunteering projects.

I've never really done a HCA job I don't know if that's an issue? But yeha I've done an awful lot of volutnary work especially in palliative care and in events/hospitality and lots of hospital/GP work experience and also some in a care home which treats children with epilepsy.

I know you're probably the wrong person to ask I'm just so keen to get into Cambridge and Grad Med in general and want to throw everything at this to give myself the ebst possible fighting chance.

Hopefully might be going to the US to study in October if I get an offer (applying to UChicago and UPenn) so hoping an offer from one of those places would go some way to proving my academic credentials.

Argh so much to do so little time!.

I really wouldn't bother with the bit in bold. I personally don't really go in for voluntourism, and the universities know full well that most people can't afford to undertake such schemes.

Honestly, your experience sounds pretty good. To give yourself the best possible chance I'd concentrate on absolutely smashing the entrance exams; they can make or break an application.
Reply 635
I really wouldn't bother with the bit in bold. I personally don't really go in for voluntourism, and the universities know full well that most people can't afford to undertake such schemes.

Honestly, your experience sounds pretty good. To give yourself the best possible chance I'd concentrate on absolutely smashing the entrance exams; they can make or break an application.

Well Wolfson are adamanat I wouldn't need to sit the BMAT as they won't look at it. The clinical school were more like "yes sit it if it could help" and I've yet to speak to hughes hall. I'm in the process of writing the emails as we speak.

Yeah I see what you mean with the voluntourism bit and I agree it would confer an unfair advantage although saying that in the past 30 minutes or so I've unearthed some free projects abroad where I'd only foot the cost of the flights/visas. I guess I just want to do it to keep "my bases covered" and drop a name or two into the statement.

I mean if all goes to plan and the stars align I'm hoping my academics, a place at a decent US College for masters and the London 2012 tag along with experience and pasison for Medicine will at least make me stand out.

I'm sounding desperate aren't I?
Well Wolfson are adamanat I wouldn't need to sit the BMAT as they won't look at it. The clinical school were more like "yes sit it if it could help" and I've yet to speak to hughes hall. I'm in the process of writing the emails as we speak.

Yeah I see what you mean with the voluntourism bit and I agree it would confer an unfair advantage although saying that in the past 30 minutes or so I've unearthed some free projects abroad where I'd only foot the cost of the flights/visas. I guess I just want to do it to keep "my bases covered" and drop a name or two into the statement.

I mean if all goes to plan and the stars align I'm hoping my academics, a place at a decent US College for masters and the London 2012 tag along with experience and pasison for Medicine will at least make me stand out.

I'm sounding desperate aren't I?

Even so, the other places you apply to will require you to do well in the BMAT/UKCAT/GAMSAT.
There hasn't been any indication that projects abroad will give you an advantage over volunteering at home, as fair as I'm aware.

What masters are you applying for? Haha don't worry, it's good to be passionate about it.
Gutted :frown: just received an email from Liverpool (the only a101 I can apply too) saying that I don't fit the entry requirements for a101 or a100

They suggested the year 0 course! I'm far too old for that!!!

I'm so disappointed ... I'm not sure what to do from here

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Lasagefemme
Gutted :frown: just received an email from Liverpool (the only a101 I can apply too) saying that I don't fit the entry requirements for a101 or a100

They suggested the year 0 course! I'm far too old for that!!!

I'm so disappointed ... I'm not sure what to do from here

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I know it can be disappointing, but there are plenty of other GEM courses to apply for. What's your background? Don't be disheartened, medical courses are gold dust and if you get one offer then it's a good thing, irrespective of where the school is :smile:
Reply 639
Even so, the other places you apply to will require you to do well in the BMAT/UKCAT/GAMSAT.
There hasn't been any indication that projects abroad will give you an advantage over volunteering at home, as fair as I'm aware.

What masters are you applying for? Haha don't worry, it's good to be passionate about it.

Yeah especially GAMSAT as they use cutoff scores right? I might apply to Ireland and I know Ireland make offers based only on GAMSAT scores. Need to start prepping for those and the MCAT although I'm really not sure if I'll go for US med as I'm only eligible for a few places, the cost issues and I'd prefer to be in the UK.

Masters of Liberal Arts but you can take Business modules too at the respective business schools Booth and Wharton which are like ranked 1st and 2nd in the world and UChicago and UPenn are pretty good too. It's a masters degree more geared towards mature-student or those with non-traditional academic backgrounds which is why I'm drawn to it and has good prospects too in the US so should Med not work out perhaps I could just stay and work in the US lol?

After all that I never got round to sending my letter to Cambridge lol. So busy putting together my US applications and got Olympics related workstuff this week (and paid for too yay) but I'll try get it sent off asap.

I'm looking at applying to Cambridge, St George's, King's and one other of the places that don't require a science degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending